Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [46]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [1]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Can someone explain why C is wrong?

In D, I think the action "unable to listen" still continues forever (because this action is about a Alex DeLarge, character of the film A Clockwork Orange), so how can we use past tense (which means the action completed at some time in the past) for this action?

Expert, please clarify my doubt! Many thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]
Kudos
nahid78 wrote:
can you explain E in more details?

Hi Nahid,

Before you analyze any kind of grammatical mistake in E, take a look at E again. It uses "able" instead of the original word "desired". Do both these words convey the same meaning?

So, let's say you add "is" or "was" in front of "able" to make it a verb and, hence make it parallel with the but he is unable to portion. You get the following sentence:

As the result of a medical experiment, Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and (is/was) no longer able to behave violently or lewdly, but he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.

Even then Choice E is NOT correct. This is because the meaning given by the original sentence is compromised in it . The original sentence suggests that the subject did not desire to do something - in other words, he did NOT want to do something; however, choice E (in both versions - grammatically non-parallel and parallel) says that he was no longer able to do something - nothing about whether he wanted to do so or not.

Regards

Originally posted by neetis5 on 02 Apr 2017, 00:01.
Last edited by neetis5 on 02 Apr 2017, 23:22, edited 2 times in total.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nahid78 wrote:
can you explain E in more details?

Option E does not have a main verb:
Alex DeLarge no longer able to behave... the verb "was" is missing before "no longer" ("able" is an adjective, not a verb).
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
leanhdung wrote:
Can someone explain why C is wrong?

In D, I think the action "unable to listen" still continues forever (because this action is about a Alex DeLarge, character of the film A Clockwork Orange), so how can we use past tense (which means the action completed at some time in the past) for this action?

Expert, please clarify my doubt! Many thanks!

Two consecutive modifiers (without a conjunction in between) referring to the same noun is considered wrong in GMAT.

The modifiers "the main character of A Clockwork Orange" and "no longer able to behave violently and lewdly" should refer to "Alex DeLarge", but there is no conjunction between these modifiers - hence the second modifier wrongly modifies "A Clockwork Orange" rather than "Alex DeLarge".
Moreover wrong meaning is conveyed in option C - it is not clear that "he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill." The sentence implies that by becoming violently ill, he is unable to listen to the symphony - (...becoming violently ill, is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony").

Option D:
The event is within a movie (or may be a drama) "A Clockwork Orange". So simple past is alright. It is not known whether Alex DeLarge really exists or whether he is still unable to listen. (However your understanding of usage of tense is correct.)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
gargisback wrote:

Hi syantank,
Dont you think in the option D comma is used before the cordinating conjuction but however no subject is present in the clause introduced. Shouldn't the answer choice have a subject. "he was no longer able to behave violently and lewdly" rather than "was no longer able to behave violently and lewdly"

Your observation is valid. Ideally, the comma should not have been there or there should have been the subject after the comma.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Meaning :

This sentence shows contrast. The main character no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly. However, he could not listen to the symphony without becoming violently ill also.

A. contrast is missing

B. same reason as above . Also, changes the tense.

C. awkward construction (2 verbs without any connector for a single subject)

D. no Parallelism error. Meaning clear.

E. parallelism error. (X but Y) X and Y not parallel. (with respect to the meaning of X & Y)

Hi, Kindly help me in clearing th doubt
In D meaning is clear, but there is no subject after, but...........
we have 1 independent clause on one side- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but was unable.......
I know that since the subject is same, so the repetition of he (Alex DeLarge) is not required. But without the comma this sentence stands fine as -Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently but was unable to........

According to me, Option D looks good if it stands out as- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but he was unable...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
we have 1 independent clause on one side- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but was unable.......
I know that since the subject is same, so the repetition of he (Alex DeLarge) is not required. But without the comma this sentence stands fine as -Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently but was unable to........

According to me, Option D looks good if it stands out as- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but he was unable...

Hi sunny91 ,

Remember one thing: Whenever you have more than one list in a sentence and you want to add more elements to the main list rather than the sub list, you MUST always separate the lists using a comma.

For example:

I want to go to US or Germany and want to have a great party.

This sentence has two lists:

1. I want to go
I want to party

2. List of places I wanna go: US and Germany.

Now, this sentence is incorrect because the 2nd clause after and should be connected to main list.

To use it correctly, I MUST use a comma as follows:

I want to go to US or Germany, and want to have a great party.

This question stem is working on the same principle.

Let me know in case of any concern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 728
Send PM
nahid78 wrote:
As the result of a medical experiment, Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony without becoming violently ill.
A) no longer desired to behave violently lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
B) no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and is no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
C) no longer able to behave violently and lewdly and becoming violently ill, is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony."
D) no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly, but was also unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
E) no longer able to behave violently or lewdly, but he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.

How do you select between the options A and D? How do you come to know, if any, parallelism is required here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
The reason you go out looking for parallelism is violently and lewdly both are adjectives so these must be connected properly to make them parallel.
"OR" is used correctly in choice D, connecting the two adjectives properly.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
[fraction][/fraction]
abhimahna wrote:
sunny91 wrote:

Hi sunny91 ,

Remember one thing: Whenever you have more than one list in a sentence and you want to add more elements to the main list rather than the sub list, you MUST always separate the lists using a comma.

For example:

I want to go to US or Germany and want to have a great party.

This sentence has two lists:

1. I want to go
I want to party

2. List of places I wanna go: US and Germany.

Now, this sentence is incorrect because the 2nd clause after and should be connected to main list.

To use it correctly, I MUST use a comma as follows:

This question stem is working on the same principle.

Let me know in case of any concern.

Hi Abhimahna,
Thanks for the reply. I have the below queries. Please help me to understand.
Don't the sentence violates
I want to go to US or Germany - independent clause 1
want to have a great party- thought 2.
Now, the subject is same. So, we can write I want to go to US or Germany, and I want to have a great party. or I want to go to US or Germany and want to have a great party.

Below, is another example- I study in the morning, and I play in the evening.
I study in the morning and play in the evening.
So, in option D- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly. (independent clause)
, but was also unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.( another thought but subject is missing)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
nahid78 wrote:
As the result of a medical experiment, Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony without becoming violently ill.
A) no longer desired to behave violently lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
B) no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and is no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
C) no longer able to behave violently and lewdly and becoming violently ill, is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony."
D) no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly, but was also unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
E) no longer able to behave violently or lewdly, but he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.

Explanation:
The sentence shows two opposite results of the same experiment, the positive results and the negative results. To show the contrast between the two opposite results, the conjunction but is a better choice than and. Was no longer able to listen is separate verb phrase, not part of the list of the type of behaviors that Alex had ceased; therefore, a conjunction should be placed in between violently and lewdly to show the termination of the list.

The lack of a conjunction between violently and lewdly creates confusion. And is not the best choice of conjunction for this sentence.
The lack of a conjunction between violently and lewdly creates confusion. And is not the best choice of conjunction for this sentence. Is is the incorrect tense. Since desired is in the past tense, is should be in the past tense form, was.
No longer able to behave violently or lewdly is an absolute phrase modifying Alex DeLarge. Since it does not contain a verb, the conjunction and is unnecessary. Becoming violently ill is also incorrectly placed because it does not have a noun following it to modify. Immediately following this participial phrase is is, which is a verb.
The conjunction or is correctly placed between violently and lewdly to show that the list has terminated. The use of the conjunction but shows the contrast between the two verb phrases.
No longer able to behave violently or lewdly is an absolute phrase modifying Alex DeLarge. Since it does not contain a verb, the conjunction but is unnecessary.

A is incorrect for using two adverbs simultaneously.
B is incorrect because "violently, lewdly, and no longer..." are not parallel; an adverb is needed after "and".
C is awkward because removing the extra information between the two commas leads to "Alex...no longer able to", an incomplete expression.
E repeats the mistake in C.
D is not perfect the best choice here.

Besides, B, C, and E use present tense, which is not the apt tense here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
The purpose of this sentence is to show contrast but by using ‘and’ options A and B fail to do so. E has a parallelism error and C is very awkwardly constructed. The correct option is D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts