Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619011 [342]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [220]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [14]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest nonnegative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. If k and m are positive integers, is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?

(1) k > m
(2) m/k is an even integer.

Kudos for a correct solution.

The Q basically asks us if the power of 2 is greater for k when compared to m..
1) k>m..
not suff as k could be an odd number and m an even number, which would mean the 2-height of k < the 2-height of m..
and say k=32 and x=2.. the 2-height of k >the 2-height of m
insuff

2)m/k is an even integer...
this clearly shows that m is some even multiple of k..
and thus it will always be true that the 2-height of k < the 2-height of m..
suff

B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
For any positive integer x, the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest nonnegative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. If k and m are positive integers, is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?

(1) k > m

Lets understand the question first

2-height of any number x=power of 2 in factorial of X

Lets check the statements:

Statement1: K>m
So can we surely say k has greater power of 2 than m?

No.
Lets see why.

It can be true for k=2^3;m=2^2
it can be false for k=(2^3)*5 and m=(2^3)*3

Notice both above examples fulfil the statement 1 but give uncertain results.
Hence Insufficient

Statement 2: m/k is even integer
since k and m are positive integer. this means m/k=2 times some integer
or m has more power of 2 than k.
hance 2-height of m will be greater than2- height of k
hence sufficient. Ans:B

Kudos if you like my solution
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sashlev wrote:
Can someone please explain what is being asked? Preferably with algebraic equation.

Thanks

Questions has explained the meaning of 2-height of x.

It says the 2-height of x is defined to be the greatest non negative integer n such that 2^n is a factor of x. or we have n>=0 such that 2^n is a factor of x.

Say x=2, so we know that 2^1 ihe greatest factor of x. So, its 2-height will be 1.

Similarly, if we say x =28, we have 2^2 as the greatest factor in x, so n = 2, and so on.

Now, I hope the question is clear.

Moving on to the statements :

Statement 1 : k>m. Say K =5 and m is 4. in this case 2-height of m is greater than that is k.

But say k=8 and m=4, its the other way. Hence, insufficient.

Statement 2 : m/k is an even integer.

for m/k to be an integer, we must have k<=m.

Also, since it is even,we can say m must have 2 in it.

Or I can directly say m is a multiple of k such that m is even.

=> 2 height if m will always be greater than that of k. Take any values of m and k such that the above equation i satisfied you will always get the result.

hence, B is insufficient
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
WE:Corporate Finance (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

In simple words, 2-height is just the number of 2s in a positive integer x.

So if x = 40, its 2-height will be 3 because 40 = 8*5 = 2*2*2*5
If x = 15, its 2-height is 0 because there are no 2s in 15.
and so on.

So, an even number will have a 2-height of at least 1.
An odd number will have a 2-height of 0.

"is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?" means "Does k have more 2s than m?"

(1) k > m
k could have more 2s than m or it could have fewer 2s than m.
For example, if k = 4 and m = 3, k has two 2s while m has none.
If k = 11 and m = 8, k has no 2s while m has 3.
Not sufficient.

When m is divided by k, you get an integer. So m has all factors of k and they get cancelled out and you are left with an integer. Also, the leftover integer is even so m has at least one 2 more than k.
So 2-height of m is certainly more than the 2-height of k. So we can answer the question that k does not have more 2s than m.

Answer (B)

Thank you very much for this . I didn't even comprehend the question so I certainly had no chance of answering correctly. I was a bit demoralized till I read your great explanation. Does the GMAT use height to represent that amount of times a prime shows up when doing prime factorization often?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
NanaA wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

and so on.

"is the 2-height of k greater than the 2-height of m?" means "Does k have more 2s than m?"

(1) k > m
Not sufficient.

When m is divided by k, you get an integer. So m has all factors of k and they get cancelled out and you are left with an integer. Also, the leftover integer is even so m has at least one 2 more than k.
So 2-height of m is certainly more than the 2-height of k. So we can answer the question that k does not have more 2s than m.

Answer (B)

Thank you very much for this . I didn't even comprehend the question so I certainly had no chance of answering correctly. I was a bit demoralized till I read your great explanation. Does the GMAT use height to represent that amount of times a prime shows up when doing prime factorization often?

I am surprised that nobody has answered this question. I am a native English speaker, and someone who has spent a substantial amount of time studying GMAT quantatitive questions and I have never encountered this terminology ("height") when referring to factors of a number. For this reason, I had no idea how to answer the question.

I can only hope this obscure phraseology was used to increase the difficulty of the question.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ilovefrankee wrote:

Quote:
I am surprised that nobody has answered this question. I am a native English speaker, and someone who has spent a substantial amount of time studying GMAT quantatitive questions and I have never encountered this terminology ("height") when referring to factors of a number. For this reason, I had no idea how to answer the question.

I can only hope this obscure phraseology was used to increase the difficulty of the question.

This is not standard terminology so its no surprise that you haven't come across it before. It is a user defined function for this question only. The question gives exactly how to calculate 2-Height for a positive integer.
There could be another question which could define 2-Height as "the number of 2s that will add up to give that integer" etc.
Yes, user defined functions can increase the difficulty level of the question though note that the concepts are still very simple. The questions only look more difficult than they actually are.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Kudos
0 is also even integer, so what if k/m is 0?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Cheryn wrote:

Hi, always read the entire q thoroughly so as not to miss out on minor details.
It is given m and k are positive integers so they cannot be 0
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

and so on.

(1) k > m
Not sufficient.

Answer (B)

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
In your explanation, you mention:

"So, an even number will have a 2-height of at least 1."

Isn't 0 an even number with a 2-height (as defined in the question) of 0? That wouldn't affect the answer to the question since we know both k and m to be positive integers, but I just wanted to be clear conceptually with respect to the statement you made about even numbers in general.

Note that the function is defined for positive integers only. Hence, whatever general statements we make regarding this function, they are made for positive integers only.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m
(2) k/m is an even integer.

chetan2u wrote:
Cheryn wrote:

Bunuel chetan2u

I think Cheryn means that the ratio k/m can be equal to 0. If that's the case, then B would be insufficient. I don't any condition given in the question stem that does not allow m to be equal to n. Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!

For example:
Case 1: No
k = m = 3
2-height of k greater = 2-height of m greater = 0

Case 2: Yes
k = 6, m = 3
(2-height of k greater = 1) > (2-height of m greater = 0)

For stmt 1+2, from stmt 1 we have k>m so case 1 from stmt 2 is not valid. Hence the answer is C.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) k > m

chetan2u wrote:
Cheryn wrote:

Bunuel chetan2u

I think Cheryn means that the ratio k/m can be equal to 0. If that's the case, then B would be insufficient. I don't any condition given in the question stem that does not allow m to be equal to n. Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!

For example:
Case 1: No
k = m = 3
2-height of k greater = 2-height of m greater = 0

Case 2: Yes
k = 6, m = 3
(2-height of k greater = 1) > (2-height of m greater = 0)

For stmt 1+2, from stmt 1 we have k>m so case 1 from stmt 2 is not valid. Hence the answer is C.

Hi the 2-height of k or m will never be 0.
You are mistaking them as quantity of 2 in k and m. But 2-heoght is 2^n in them ...
So if k=m=3 ,but then k/m=3/3=1, whi h is NOT an even number so does not satisfy statement II.
Also, 2-height in k is 2^0=1 and similarly 1 for m
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM

(1) k > m

I am not sure where I am going wrong...

if i take k=12 and m=3 then k/m=4 which is even. In that case, h(k)=12/2^2=3 and h(m)=3/2^0=3 and therefore h(k) is not greater than h(m), therefore it is insufficient.

can someone explain why this is incorrect please?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nausherwan wrote:

(1) k > m

I am not sure where I am going wrong...

if i take k=12 and m=3 then k/m=4 which is even. In that case, h(k)=12/2^2=3 and h(m)=3/2^0=3 and therefore h(k) is not greater than h(m), therefore it is insufficient.

can someone explain why this is incorrect please?

I think you missed the concept of 2-height.
The 2-height = n where n is the greatest non negative integer such that 2^n is a factor of x.

So if k = 10, the 2-height of k is 1 (because 2^1 is divisible by 10)
If k = 24, the 2-height of k is 3 (because 2^3 = 8 is a factor of 24)
If k = 80, the 2-height of k is 4 (because 2^4 = 16 is a factor of 80)
If k = 81, the 2-height of k is 0 (because 2^0 = 1 is a factor of 81)

The more 2s a number has, the more is its 2-height.

If k/m is an even integer, k has more 2s as factors than does m. So 2-height of k would be more than 2-height of m.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 20:00
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
KarishmaB

Even if "greatest nonnegative integer n" is replaced by "n is a positive integer", statement 1 is still insufficient.

K=2^2*7 > M=2^1*7 (2-h of k is 2 and 2-h of m is 1)
K=2*9 > M=2^2*3 (2-h of k is 1 and 2-h of m is 2)

So statement 1 is still insuff.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB

Even if "greatest nonnegative integer n" is replaced by "n is a positive integer", statement 1 is still insufficient.

K=2^2*7 > M=2^1*7 (2-h of k is 2 and 2-h of m is 1)
K=2*9 > M=2^2*3 (2-h of k is 1 and 2-h of m is 2)

So statement 1 is still insuff.

It doesn't make sense to define 2-height as a positive integer. Many positive integers x will be odd (no 2 in them). This means n must be 0. If n is a positive integer, 2-height will not be defined for them. Then you cannot define the 2-height of "any integer x." Then you will need to give that "the 2-height is defined for multiples of 2 such that ..." etc.
Hence, in the question, it doesn't make sense to replace non-negative with positive. And once you understand what 2-height is, it is easiest to see that an odd number (n =0) can be greater than an even number (n >= 1).
Of course, we know that multiples of 2 only can be greater than multiples of 4 e.g. 6 > 4
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts