Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Percent and Interest Problemsx   Word Problemsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619009 [222]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [48]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [16]
Given Kudos: 654
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [11]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: A merchant discounted the sale price of a coat and the sale price of a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [11]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: A merchant discounted the sale price of a coat and the sale price of a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A merchant discounted the sale price of a coat and the sale price of a sweater. Which of the two articles of clothing was discounted by the greater dollar amount?

(1) The percent discount on the coat was 2 percentage points greater than the percent discount on the sweater.
(2) Before the discounts, the sale price of the coat was $10 less than the sale price of the sweater.

Kudos for a correct solution.

(1) not sufficient; we dont't have dollar amounts
(2) Sweter: P dollars, Coat P-10 clearly not sufficient, as no info about %of a discount
(1+2) Still not sufficient Price could be 20$ or 1000000$ which will give us differnt results....
Answer (E)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [3]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Let Pc and Ps, Dc and Ds be prices, percentage discounts for Coat and Sweater respectively.

So the question is Pc*Dc>Ps*Ds or Pc*Dc<Ps*Ds?
It’s a clever question but if we get rid of all the verbiage it could be stripped down to:
Is Pc*Dc>Ps*Ds
St1) Dc>Ds
St2) Pc<Ps
Since two statements put together don’t give us a certain direction of inequality we cant answer the question. Ans E
For details see below-

St1) Dc=Ds+2--> Pc*(Ds+2)>Ps*Ds? INSUF as we dont know the values of Pc and Ps. To be precise we need to know if Pc>Ps*Ds/(Ds+2)?
St2) Pc=Ps-10 --> (Ps-10)*Dc>Ps*Ds? INSUF as we dont know the values of Dc and Ds. To be precise we need to know if Dc>Ds*Ps/(Ps-10)?
St1+St2) since Dc=Ds+2 doesnt help us answer Dc>Ds*Ps/(Ps-10)? or Pc=Ps-10 doesnt help us answer if Pc>Ps*Ds/(Ds+2)? INSUF
Ans E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [6]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A merchant discounted the sale price of a coat and the sale price of a sweater. Which of the two articles of clothing was discounted by the greater dollar amount?

(1) The percent discount on the coat was 2 percentage points greater than the percent discount on the sweater.
(2) Before the discounts, the sale price of the coat was $10 less than the sale price of the sweater.

Clearly both statements alone are insuff..
So needed to check 2 different values of sweater with very much difference for getting a quick answer.
I will check for a price of $20 and another for $1000 for a given discount of 10% (check easy number for fast calculation)
for sweater @ $20 discount is $2 thus price of coat is $10 less=$10 and discount is 12 %( as discount on the coat was 2 percentage points greater) of it is $1.2.
discount amount of sweater > discount amount of Coat.
similarly for a sweater price of $ 1000 will have a discount $100
And discount of coat is 12% of 990 =118.....
discount amount of sweater < discount amount of Coat.

Ans E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:

Coat = C -> Discount by a%
Sweater = S -> Discount by b%
Is \(\frac{C*a}{100}\) > or < \(\frac{S*b}{100}\)?

1) x = y + 2
We do not know the price. Insufficient.

2) C = S - 10
We do not know the discount %. Insufficient.

1+2)
x = y +2
C = S - 10
x = 10% and y = 8%
C = 10, S = 20
\(\frac{S*b}{100}\) = 1.6
\(\frac{C*a}{100}\) = 1

But if x = 52%, y = 50%
C = 1000, S = 1010
\(\frac{S*b}{100}\) = 505
\(\frac{C*a}{100}\) = 520

2 different values. Insufficient.

E is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
c=s-10
x=y+2

case 1: c=90 s=100
x=4% y 2%
discount on coat = 90*4%=3.6
discount on sweater = 100*2%=2

coat>sweater

case 2: c= 490 s =500
x=12% y=10%
discount on coat = 490*12%=58.8
discount on sweater=500*10%=50
coat >sweater
why am i getting same scenarios
are there any constraints on taking the sample values?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31930 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Psk13 wrote:
c=s-10
x=y+2

case 1: c=90 s=100
x=4% y 2%
discount on coat = 90*4%=3.6
discount on sweater = 100*2%=2

coat>sweater

case 2: c= 490 s =500
x=12% y=10%
discount on coat = 490*12%=58.8
discount on sweater=500*10%=50
coat >sweater
why am i getting same scenarios
are there any constraints on taking the sample values?

Take scenarios where 10 is a big amount as compared to x and y..
say x = 5 and y =15...
4% 0f 5 = 0.2 and 2% of 15 = 0.3, so s>c..
similarly there will be many other values
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Hi experts, please provide your inputs on my analysis

The way I solved this,

Given :

let the selling price of the coat be $X

let the selling price of the sweater be $Y

Statement 1: If Y - a% of Y, then X - (a+2)% of X ... we need to compare a%ofY and (a+2)%ofX .. clearly we need X and Y to reach the desired result, and we don’t have X and Y.. hence not sufficient

Statement 2: Y=X+10 — clearly not sufficient

Combining Statement 1 and Statement 2, we need to compare

(a+2)% of X, which is equal to (aX)/100 + 2x/100

And

a% of (X+10), which is equal to (aX)/100 + 10a/100

So which of the above two is greater depends on 2X/100 and on 10a/100 .. we don’t have both “a” and “X”, hence what impact would both 2X/100 and 10a/100 have on aX/100 can’t be uniquely determined. Hence the answer E

PS: we can also consider certain values and get to the correct answer, BUT I find putting values both risky and time consuming

chetan2u VeritasKarishma Bunuel

Apologies if I have missed a few names of the experts, please feel free to provide your inputs

Looking forward to hearing from you guys

Best regards,

Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31930 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
INSEADIESE wrote:
Hi experts, please provide your inputs on my analysis

The way I solved this,

Given :

let the selling price of the coat be $X

let the selling price of the sweater be $Y

Statement 1: If Y - a% of Y, then X - (a+2)% of X ... we need to compare a%ofY and (a+2)%ofX .. clearly we need X and Y to reach the desired result, and we don’t have X and Y.. hence not sufficient

Statement 2: Y=X+10 — clearly not sufficient

Combining Statement 1 and Statement 2, we need to compare

(a+2)% of X, which is equal to (aX)/100 + 2x/100

And

a% of (X+10), which is equal to (aX)/100 + 10a/100

So which of the above two is greater depends on 2X/100 and on 10a/100 .. we don’t have both “a” and “X”, hence what impact would both 2X/100 and 10a/100 have on aX/100 can’t be uniquely determined. Hence the answer E

PS: we can also consider certain values and get to the correct answer, BUT I find putting values both risky and time consuming

chetan2u VeritasKarishma Bunuel

Apologies if I have missed a few names of the experts, please feel free to provide your inputs

Looking forward to hearing from you guys

Best regards,

Posted from my mobile device

Yes, the method is correct. Only point is that $ and $Y are not the selling price but marked price. SP would be after the discount.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Dollar amount of discount depends on both, the marked price and the discount percentage. So neither statement alone is sufficient.

Taking both statements together,

Coat - Sale price is $10 less and discount is 2% more.

Think about the instance when the discount dollar amount will be the same.

Say discount percentages are 4% and 2% for coat and sweater respectively.
When will 4% of something be equal to 2% of something else? When the amounts are in the ratio 1:2. Since we want the difference between them to be 10, the amounts would be 10 and 20 for marked price of coats and sweaters respectively.
So 4% of 10 is 4 and 2% of 20 is 4.

Now if the amounts are 5 and 15 for example, the dollar amount of discount on coats is lower.
but if the amounts are 20 and 30, the dollar amount of discount on coats is higher.

Hence, the given information is not sufficient.

Answer (E)

Use of too many variables eats up your time and makes you lose the plot.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Dollar amount of discount depends on both, the marked price and the discount percentage. So neither statement alone is sufficient.

When will 4% of something be equal to 2% of something else? When the amounts are in the ratio 1:2. Since we want the difference between them to be 10, the amounts would be 10 and 20 for marked price of coats and sweaters respectively.

Now if the amounts are 5 and 15 for example, the dollar amount of discount on coats is lower.
but if the amounts are 20 and 30, the dollar amount of discount on coats is higher.

Answer (E)

VeritasKarishma -- this is really amazing insight ..

Is there a blog post specifically on this issue perhaps ?

I understand the concept here but i need to do some more questions in order to get this imbibed completely

I am afraid on test day, with the added pressure of test anxiety + timings = i may not able to think logically like this unless i practice more questions using this concept or just reading a blog post

Any links or posts towards this would be helpful

Thank you !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Answer (E)

VeritasKarishma -- this is really amazing insight ..

Is there a blog post specifically on this issue perhaps ?

I understand the concept here but i need to do some more questions in order to get this imbibed completely

I am afraid on test day, with the added pressure of test anxiety + timings = i may not able to think logically like this unless i practice more questions using this concept or just reading a blog post

Any links or posts towards this would be helpful

Thank you !

jabhatta2 - Such a method involves clarity about ratios, percentages, markup-discount, transition points and the need to solve questions logically. If someone asks me whether x will always be greater than y, I will try to make them equal and then see why x cannot be less than y. There is no one single concept behind it. GMAT will keep making innovative questions testing multiple concepts. Your best hope would be to throw away your scratch pad and then try to work logically.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM