Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [13]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Many individuals invest in “monthly savings schemes”, with the [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
Many individuals invest in “monthly savings schemes”, with the intention to help maintain a standard of living in case of a sudden loss of employment.

A) schemes”, with the intention to help maintain a standard of living in case of a sudden loss of employment
B) schemes”, the intention of which is to help maintain a standard of living in case they suddenly lose their employment
C) schemes” intended to help maintain a standard of living in case employment is suddenly lost
D) schemes” intended to help maintain a standard of living in case they suddenly lose their employment
E) schemes” that they intend to help maintain a standard of living in case their employment is lost

Dear AryamaDuttaSaikia,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My colleague, I have some criticisms about this question.
Choice (A) is wrong for the idiom awkwardness "with the intention to help"
Choice (B) is not grammatical problematic, but rhetorically it is awkward, so it is out.
Choice (C) is the OA; it is acceptable, although the passive structure in the second half is weak.
Choice (D) is also a choice that would be correct by GMAT standards. I infer that the OE would object to a pronoun problem, but the grammatical structure reinforces the pronoun-antecedent relationship. The noun "individuals" is the subject of the main clause, so this makes clear that the pronoun subject "they" has the first subject as an antecedent. This is a pattern on some official questions. The same actors are consistently the subject throughout (D): this version has rhetorical unity and an active quality that (C) lacks.
Choice (E) would also be correct, but it's a bit too indirect.

Finally, I would say that the "in case" structure is a bit too colloquial for the tone of the GMAT. I don't remember ever seeing that particular structure in an official questions, but perhaps there is one. This sentence would be fine in ordinary conversation, I believe formal writing would use a mores sophisticated structure (e.g. "in the event that")

Those are my thoughts on this questions. I am open to any discussion.

Mike :-)

Dear Mike,

I have few more thoughts regarding the question.

say here monthly savings schemes is a noun X.

B. Many individuals invest in X, the intention of which is to help maintain a standard of living in case they suddenly lose their employment.

you mentioned that B is not incorrect grammatically. But what about the relative pronoun which usage in it.
Is it justified?

C) schemes” intended to help maintain a standard of living in case employment is suddenly lost
How can we passive form employment is lost when remaining half is in active sense. How can this sentence be OA.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Nevernevergiveup, In relation to Option C: schemes” intended to help maintain a standard of living in case employment is suddenly lost. Both of the verbs “intended” and “lost” are in the passive voice here. It is an example of a reduced relative clause, in which the relative pronoun and the part of the verb “to be” are left out. You could rewrite the option as schemes” that are intended to help maintain a standard of living in case employment is suddenly lost. In this way you can see the passive structure more easily.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Expert Reply
1988achilles wrote:
Mike/Aryama,
In option C,D and E, intended.....employment is a modifier which will modify the nearest noun (in this case monthly saving scheme"). Technically, its not the scheme which is intended to maintain a standard of living, it is the result of investment in these scheme which enable to maintain standard of living.Hence the intended... employment should modifies the investment..
Please advise if my understanding is correct.
Regards,
Yash

Dear Yash,
With all due respect, my friend, I found your question very hard to understand. First of all, when you are asking about the use of words in a passage, please use proper quote marks to distinguish your words from the words you are quote. (I also like to use color to distinguish my words from quoted words, for extra clarity.)

You wrote
In option C,D and E, intended.....employment is a modifier which will modify the nearest noun ...
I think what you mean is
In option C,D and E, "intended.....employment" is a modifier which will modify the nearest noun ...

My friend, I think you are drawing a hyper-technical distinction. The “monthly savings schemes” can easily be construed to include the amount in the savings accounts, i.e. the results of the savings.

Hyper-technical distinctions that depart from real-world logic and usage are not helpful on the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Expert Reply
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Dear Mike,

I have few more thoughts regarding the question.

say here monthly savings schemes is a noun X.

B. Many individuals invest in X, the intention of which is to help maintain a standard of living in case they suddenly lose their employment.

you mentioned that B is not incorrect grammatically. But what about the relative pronoun which usage in it.
Is it justified?

How can we passive form employment is lost when remaining half is in active sense. How can this sentence be OA.

Dear Nevernevergiveup,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The use of the word "which" in (B) is not only correct, but extremely sophisticated. You see, in well-spoken circles, it is considered improper to end a sentence or clause with a preposition.
This is the friend I went to the movie with.
The Alps are the mountains that Hannibal had to cross over.

Purists such as myself consider such a sentence abominable. Technically, this is not a grammar error, and there are authorities of a more liberal bent who would say that ending a sentence with a preposition is not a problem at all. The GMAT tends to be conservative. The GMAT will not test this as a criterion, but you will notice that a sentence or clause never ends with a preposition, except perhaps in a rare incorrect answer choice. To avoid ending with a preposition, the typical move is to put the preposition at the beginning of the clause and make a relative pronoun the object of the preposition.
This is the friend with whom I went to the movies.
The Alps are the mountains over which Hannibal had to cross.

Choice (B) has a similar construction, opening a clause with [preposition][relative pronoun]. This is something you will see in sophisticated writing frequently, and you are likely to see it on the GMAT.

For option (C), you wrote:
To be honest, my friend, that first sentence makes absolutely no sense to me. When you are quoting words from the passage, please please please put those word in quote marks, as I do, to distinguish the words of your question from the words you are citing. Also, please be very careful to phrase your question as clearly and as eloquently as possible. One of the habits of excellence is asking the best possible questions: see this blog article:
Asking Excellent Questions

Does all this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Choice (C) is the OA; it is acceptable, although the passive structure in the second half is weak.

Isn't C totally changing the meaning of the sentence. C says “monthly savings schemes” are intended to help maintain a standard of living .

From what I got from the original sentence, the act of "investment" is intended to help maintain a standard of living .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Bookmarks
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Many individuals invest in “monthly savings schemes”, with the intention to help maintain a standard of living in case of a sudden loss of employment.

A) schemes”, with the intention to help maintain a standard of living in case of a sudden loss of employment
B) schemes”, the intention of which is to help maintain a standard of living in case they suddenly lose their employment
D) schemes” intended to help maintain a standard of living in case they suddenly lose their employment
E) schemes” that they intend to help maintain a standard of living in case their employment is lost

a question similar to one in gmatprep.
"intended to do" is an idiom used after a noun and refer to the noun. So, intention of which and that they, in b and e are wrong. not idiomatic.
in D , they are still ambiguous.

the most problematic thing is choice A. A is grammatical but meaning in a is different. a mean,
to intend to help maintain a standard of living, individual invest in the schemes.
the meaing is not clear. the individual help who. they help themself, so, we need "themself". meaning here is not clear.

in D, schemes intended to help : "help" here is good and acceptable.

very hard
am I correct?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear sukanyar,

I do not see a marked change of meaning between “individuals investing in schemes with the intention of…” and individuals investing in schemes intended to…”. This highlights the importance of eliminating A on the basis of the unidiomatic structure “with the intention to help”. It will always be more important to eliminate options that are unidiomatic rather than to try to determine whether options present a small change of meaning. Change of meaning is a relevant concept, of course, but unidiomatic structures must be eliminated before it is considered.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 391
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:

Does option 'D' not have pronoun ambiguity. They may also refer to schemes. That why I didn't pick option D. Please throw some light.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos