Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [24]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: A random survey of 1,000 people, all of whom moved over 2,000 miles [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A random survey of 1,000 people, all of whom moved over 2,000 miles away from a close friend over five years ago, found that in almost every case, those people who talked to their friend on the phone at least once a month were more likely to feel close to their friend five years later than were those who communicated only by electronic mail. Thus, a reliance on electronic mail as the primary means of communication can jeopardize a close long-distance friendship.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. Long-distance friends who speak on the phone monthly also tend to communicate via electronic mail.
B. The communication patterns of friendships increase around holidays and birthdays.
C. The individuals who only communicate with their long-distance friends via electronic mail tend to have closer relationships with their nearby friends (those living in the same town, village, or city) than do the individuals who speak with their long-distance friends monthly.
D. According to another study, most people can easily control the amount of time they spend on the phone with long-distance friends.
E. People in long-distance friendships sometimes grow apart because of diverging lifestyles, and so they stop making the effort to speak with their friend on the phone.

Argument concludes with the statement that electronic mail doesn't help to maintain the long distance friendship.

to weaken the argument, we have to find out the statements that shows either advantages with electronic mails or disadvantages with problems with phone friendship.

Option E identifies the weakness and hence included as a premise then entire argument will be weakened.

Option C, tends to compare different things. it says that people communicating with their long-distance friends via electronic mail can have more closer friends in same town than do other people.

So, option E is the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Re: A random survey of 1,000 people, all of whom moved over 2,000 miles [#permalink]
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
A random survey of 1,000 people, all of whom moved over 2,000 miles away from a close friend over five years ago, found that in almost every case, those people who talked to their friend on the phone at least once a month were more likely to feel close to their friend five years later than were those who communicated only by electronic mail. Thus, a reliance on electronic mail as the primary means of communication can jeopardize a close long-distance friendship.

Just because one case is found better than other does not mean that other is worst.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. Long-distance friends who speak on the phone monthly also tend to communicate via electronic mail...............this includes both as in B and does not help.

B. The communication patterns of friendships increase around holidays and birthdays..............the communication includes both cases. out of scope.

C. The individuals who only communicate with their long-distance friends via electronic mail tend to have closer relationships with their nearby friends (those living in the same town, village, or city) than do the individuals who speak with their long-distance friends monthly..................out of scope as this speaks of nearby friends

D. According to another study, most people can easily control the amount of time they spend on the phone with long-distance friends...............this speaks of only phone and does not help either comparison or mail.

E. People in long-distance friendships sometimes grow apart because of diverging lifestyles, and so they stop making the effort to speak with their friend on the phone...............here only mail helps and thus weakens the argument.

Sorry, but I dont agree with this. Just because phone is not good does not mean email is good. It is no where mentioned in E that email is good. Only A looks best of all.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [3]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Providing a new cause to a cause-effect relationship weakens it. This is what choice E does.

conclusion says reliance on electronic mail jeopardize friendship i.e.
Cause [reliance on mail (i.e. not on phone call)] ---> Effect [jeopardized friendship]

Choice E : Another Cause [diverging lifestyles] ---> Same effect [friendships sometimes grow apart i.e. jeopardized friendship]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi experts,
In my 2 cents,the correct option should be A as it casts doubt on the effect of the mobile phone to long-distance relation.It could be that electronic mail is indeed what strengthen the relationships since those who use mobile phone also communicate with their close friends via email.

B is plainly out of scope.

C is also out of scope.The argument is about the long-distance relation;however,this option discuss about the effect of types of communication to the proximate relation.

D is again out of scope.We know nothing about the correlation between time and each means of communication.

E is out of scope.This option focuses on people who don't make a call to their friend,but no clue to relate this information with our argument.They may not at all contact with their distant friends.

There is no OA for this question,and I am not sure with my reasoning.
Please help validate :-)

Regards
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos