Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [162]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [49]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [39]
Schools:
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond [#permalink]
Kudos
The only difference between A and B seems to be the presence of article "an".

I was under the impression that articles are not tested on GMAT. Can someone confirm this?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [6]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatgrl wrote:
The only difference between A and B seems to be the presence of article "an".

I was under the impression that articles are not tested on GMAT. Can someone confirm this?

Since this question is apparently from GMATprep software, it appears that at least special uses of preposition are tested.

What is observed is that punctuation errors exclusively have not been tested in GMAT.

Nonetheless, I am not aware that GMAC itself has ever officially announced that preposition or punctuation errors would not be tested.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [14]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Michael KC Chen wrote:
In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond the city as places for a transcendental contemplation of nature, death and duty.

A. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
B. In America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
C. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries laid
D. Cemeteries, in America steeped in romanticism, were laid
E Cemeteries in an America steeped in romanticism laid

From GMAT Prep EP2.

I got it wrong...
have no idea why the correct answer is correct
It would be grateful if anyone can share your thought on this one.

Thanks

Hi,
sayantan has correctly touched upon it ..
In a way you can talk of usage of INDEFINITE article in front of proper noun as saying "a version/new version of"

Apart from the Q, few more ways could be..
In a france under terrorist threat, the entire public stood behind the government..

At times for hypothetical situations..
The public wished for a X that looked after its citizens..

In 2016, I found a john who was very confident and extrovert when we both met after 20 years..

So there are few cases where we can use a/an in front of proper noun..

and gmatgrl, since the Q is from the GMAT prep, one can say yes there can be a chance, however remote of seeing this in ACTUALS...
But this Q is more to do with a specific/rare use of article rather than choosing between two different articles...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
and gmatgrl, since the Q is from the GMAT prep, one can say yes there can be a chance, however remote of seeing this in ACTUALS...
But this Q is more to do with a specific/rare use of article rather than choosing between two different articles...

I have not been focusing on articles at all. But based on your post, it seems that this is not that much of an article issue, but a usage and idiomatic thing.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatgrl wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

I have not been focusing on articles at all. But based on your post, it seems that this is not that much of an article issue, but a usage and idiomatic thing.

Hi,
As of now, it does not seem that GMAC has shown any great interest towards articles..

I do not recollect properly but there was a Q that did test on placement and meaning of THE, but again it was more to do with the specific usage in that situation...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
gmatgrl wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
As of now, it does not seem that GMAC has shown any great interest towards articles..

I do not recollect properly but there was a Q that did test on placement and meaning of THE, but again it was more to do with the specific usage in that situation...

chetan2u

In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond the city as places for a transcendental contemplation of nature, death and duty.

As for answer choice C, can you please explain by "cemeteries laid" does not work? Is it an idiom problem that cemeteries must be laid out by someone? Thank you so much in advance for explaining
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
very hard official question which I want to follow

I never know A is used in this way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Bookmarks
sayantanc2k wrote:
Trainwithnolov3 wrote:

chetan2u

As for answer choice C, can you please explain by "cemeteries laid" does not work? Is it an idiom problem that cemeteries must be laid out by someone? Thank you so much in advance for explaining

Please note the difference between the two different verbs:

lay: to put down and set in position ( I lay the babies in the cot)
lie: to be in horizontal resting position( The babies lie in the cot)

The declination (simple present, simple past, past participle) of the above verbs are as follows:
1. lay---- laid ------ laid
2. lie------ lay ------ lain

Now, in option C the usage is wrong: "cemeteries laid (simple past of the first verb above)..." implies the cemeteries put down someone or something else outside the city (as I put down the babies in the cot). The verb here is to lay... wrong

However if the sentence were "cemeteries lay (simple past of the second verb above)...", the usage would be correct, since then the sentence would imply that the cemeteries did lie outside the city (as the babies lie in the cot). The verb here is to lie.. correct

Nonetheless the correct option A uses the verb lay correctly my constructing the sentence in passive voice: " cemeteries were laid out (past participle of the second verb)..." - the usage is correct since the sentence implies that the cemeteries were laid out by someone (could be the city municipality) out side the city ( as the babies are laid by me in the cot). The verb here is again to lay... correct.

sayantanc2k

I see--I was thinking of "laid" as the same meaning as "lie". This is super similar to "raise" and "rise" where you "raise" something (hand), and the Sun rises by itself.

Very cool, thank you so much!

Kudos Up!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Trainwithnolov3 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Trainwithnolov3 wrote:

chetan2u

Please note the difference between the two different verbs:

lay: to put down and set in position ( I lay the babies in the cot)
lie: to be in horizontal resting position( The babies lie in the cot)

The declination (simple present, simple past, past participle) of the above verbs are as follows:
1. lay---- laid ------ laid
2. lie------ lay ------ lain

Now, in option C the usage is wrong: "cemeteries laid (simple past of the first verb above)..." implies the cemeteries put down someone or something else outside the city (as I put down the babies in the cot). The verb here is to lay... wrong

However if the sentence were "cemeteries lay (simple past of the second verb above)...", the usage would be correct, since then the sentence would imply that the cemeteries did lie outside the city (as the babies lie in the cot). The verb here is to lie.. correct

Nonetheless the correct option A uses the verb lay correctly my constructing the sentence in passive voice: " cemeteries were laid out (past participle of the second verb)..." - the usage is correct since the sentence implies that the cemeteries were laid out by someone (could be the city municipality) out side the city ( as the babies are laid by me in the cot). The verb here is again to lay... correct.

sayantanc2k

I see--I was thinking of "laid" as the same meaning as "lie". This is super similar to "raise" and "rise" where you "raise" something (hand), and the Sun rises by itself.

Very cool, thank you so much!

Kudos Up!

Thank you.

Yes, the difference between "raise" and "rise" is exactly the same as the difference between "lay" and 'lie".
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [14]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos