Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.66
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Kelley Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
thomasdibs wrote:
Hi,
I am confused about whether to retake gmat or not...
I am not aiming for top 15 because of my financial constraint but i want to get into a good b school with a good ROI.
My profile
1)Indian -IT-Male-25 years
2)Work Ex-3 Years in Oracle(India), by the time of admission it would be 4 years.
3)GMAT- Q 50 V31 IR 7 =680 , GPA 3.6
4)IIT Graduate.
5)Looking for college where i can complete my MBA 2 Years (preferable) in range of USD 40,000-50,000 (per year)

Please Advise if I am suitable for kelley or not!

Hi thomasdibs,

- 680 may not be enough for Kelley. If you are aiming for Kelley and other similar schools in the 15-25 range, please try and go above 700 on your GMAT, if not 720.
- The Indian IT Male profile also hinders differentiation a bit, but that is something to be worked upon through your essays. The IIT tag helps though.
- USD 40k-50k and top 25 would be a difficult bet. Would suggest that you expand your budget, and also significantly increase your GMAT score to increase the chances of a scholarship.
- If the USD 50k is an absolute limit and you cannot go beyond, would suggest that you look at Asian schools instead.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Kelley Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Nationality: Indian
GPA: 9.78/10 (3.96/4.0)
Degree: Electronics and Communication Engineering. (From a decent well known college, but not any of the IITs or NITs)
Years of Professional Experience: a little over 4 years. Hoping to complete 5 years by the time i start my MBA.

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile: Research Engineer in the R&D Division of one of the largest Consumer electronics Company in the world (One of the renowned brands in the world). 2 promotions in 4 years. Have two technical publications. I have mentored several interns and currently work as a module lead.

Extra Curricular: I am a trained musician in Indian Classical and folk music. I have been a keyboard player for a professional music group and have a certificate in Indian Music.
Some experience in community service as a treasurer.

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work in strategy and planning; mostly in the field of consumer electronics or communications technology.
Long term: Strategy consulting.

Do i stand a chance at Kelley? Planning to apply in Round 1
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ss20tali wrote:
Nationality: Indian
GPA: 9.78/10 (3.96/4.0)
Degree: Electronics and Communication Engineering. (From a decent well known college, but not any of the IITs or NITs)
Years of Professional Experience: a little over 4 years. Hoping to complete 5 years by the time i start my MBA.

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile: Research Engineer in the R&D Division of one of the largest Consumer electronics Company in the world (One of the renowned brands in the world). 2 promotions in 4 years. Have two technical publications. I have mentored several interns and currently work as a module lead.

Extra Curricular: I am a trained musician in Indian Classical and folk music. I have been a keyboard player for a professional music group and have a certificate in Indian Music.
Some experience in community service as a treasurer.

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work in strategy and planning; mostly in the field of consumer electronics or communications technology.
Long term: Strategy consulting.

Do i stand a chance at Kelley? Planning to apply in Round 1

Hi ss20tali,

- At 700, your GMAT score is a bit on the edge for what would be considered competitive for your profile at Kelley, but we think you would still have a decent shot
- While the work profile otherwise looks good (in terms of performance), it is very technical. Need further details on the work done to evaluate at greater depth.
- ECA are quite strong and will certainly help; Kelley will value this strongly
- While the short-term goal is understandable, there aren't too many such positions being offered at Kelley. That may be a factor.

Overall, with a strong application, you would have a chance, but there are some things noted above to be kept in mind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi,

In terms of work profile, i'm an engineer involved in consumer electronics R&D. I manage a small module in my project and supervise 2 junior engineers.
I have trained and mentored about 6-7 interns so far. Led teams during innovation drives and represented my organization at international conferences. Have won 3 division level awards too.
My responsibilities off late include working on project proposals, market analysis, design and development, competitor analysis (all from a tech perspective).
My goal is to make a transition into strategy and planning management and product management.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ss20tali wrote:
Hi,

In terms of work profile, i'm an engineer involved in consumer electronics R&D. I manage a small module in my project and supervise 2 junior engineers.
I have trained and mentored about 6-7 interns so far. Led teams during innovation drives and represented my organization at international conferences. Have won 3 division level awards too.
My responsibilities off late include working on project proposals, market analysis, design and development, competitor analysis (all from a tech perspective).
My goal is to make a transition into strategy and planning management and product management.

That looks really good. Your work goes significantly beyond just engineering. Highlight the leadership, market analysis, and competitor analysis aspects as well. That should set you up for a good application. Product management, in our opinion, is a much more feasible goal and more closely related with the work you have done and the stage of your career.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
thomasdibs wrote:
Hi,
I am confused about whether to retake gmat or not...
I am not aiming for top 15 because of my financial constraint but i want to get into a good b school with a good ROI.
My profile
1)Indian -IT-Male-25 years
2)Work Ex-3 Years in Oracle(India), by the time of admission it would be 4 years.
3)GMAT- Q 50 V31 IR 7 =680 , GPA 3.6
4)IIT Graduate.
5)Looking for college where i can complete my MBA 2 Years (preferable) in range of USD 40,000-50,000 (per year)

Please Advise if I am suitable for kelley or not!

Which IIT did you go to? This will have an impact on your application success. 40-50K will be tough at Kelley with a 680. I could see 680 working out if you came from a top IIT, but it isn't a sure thing given your demographic. If you are looking for scholarships, you should apply to schools across a range (including those below Kelley) to be sure you get in and receive enough financial support. It is a balance to consider between going to a higher ranked school and a school that gives you more money.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for your detailed post. You have a very attractive profile for Kelley actually and if you put together a strong application, you should get in. While nothing is certain and you should apply to a number of schools, I believe you have a very good chance of getting in.

Good luck with the process!

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Send PM
Hi, I am planning to apply to ISB and Kelley. Please evaluate my profile

Indian male, Age: 27

GRE score: 329 (V:164- 90%; Q: 167-93% , A: 4.5 - 82%) (haven't taken GMAT)

Work Ex: 6 Yrs in Project Management of Electrical power and control equipment manufacturing. (diverse products- hydro, thermal, solar, industry, VFD; involved in lots of developmental activities and customer negotiations)

GPA: 7.7/10, NIT-Warangal
+2: 96.1%

Extra curriculars: band leader and guitar player, some CSR, hosted business event.

career goals: start-up in power industry

Can someone suggest if my profile is competitive enough for the aforementioned colleges. Also any suggestions of colleges is welcome. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Send PM

Work Ex: 6 Yrs in Project Management of Electrical power and control equipment manufacturing. (diverse products- hydro, thermal, solar, industry, VFD; involved in lots of developmental activities and customer negotiations)

Extra curriculars: band leader and guitar player, some CSR, hosted business event.

Can someone suggest if my profile is competitive enough for the aforementioned colleges. Also any suggestions of colleges is welcome. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
vinyrddy wrote:

From the looks of it, I'd say you are competitive at a large number of schools. Your GRE and GPA, along with the work experience, look great. That's just my opinion though, but your GRE is higher than friends of mine who got accepted into Kelley.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello,

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Female
Xth- 69%
XIIth - 85%
Undergrad- B.Tech. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from 'Park college of Engineering and Technology' affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
CGPA- 7.9/10
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 630 ( Q-46, V-31, AWA-3.5, IR-4)

Work Exp :
1. Worked for 4.2 years in Infosys. Progression from systems engineer to senior systems engineer.
- Handled several modules for US based client project, completed tasks as a sole person within tight deadlines and trained and mentored many new comers.
- Took many certifications within Infosys during the same timeline.
- Infosys Appreciation certificates and client appreciation certificate.

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of poor kids and other extra curricular activities at a local NGO.
2. Was a volunteer Animal Welfare NGO in the past for animal rescue.
3. Volunteer at Rotary club for education of kids and spreading awareness to them for maintenance of hygiene.

Extra Curricular:
1. Literary Captain of school for 2 years.
2. Certificate for presentation of research papers in National Level conference, Twice.

Do I have a chance at Kelley?

Many Thanks :-D
Send PM
Expert Reply
krutishah89 wrote:
Hello,

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Female
Xth- 69%
XIIth - 85%
Undergrad- B.Tech. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from 'Park college of Engineering and Technology' affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
CGPA- 7.9/10
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 630 ( Q-46, V-31, AWA-3.5, IR-4)

Work Exp :
1. Worked for 4.2 years in Infosys. Progression from systems engineer to senior systems engineer.
- Handled several modules for US based client project, completed tasks as a sole person within tight deadlines and trained and mentored many new comers.
- Took many certifications within Infosys during the same timeline.
- Infosys Appreciation certificates and client appreciation certificate.

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of poor kids and other extra curricular activities at a local NGO.
2. Was a volunteer Animal Welfare NGO in the past for animal rescue.
3. Volunteer at Rotary club for education of kids and spreading awareness to them for maintenance of hygiene.

Extra Curricular:
1. Literary Captain of school for 2 years.
2. Certificate for presentation of research papers in National Level conference, Twice.

Do I have a chance at Kelley?

Many Thanks :-D

Thank you for your post. You have impressive and focused extra-curricular activities, which will help you a lot during the process. That said, I do recommend that you retake the GMAT if you can to increase your chances of getting in. If you would like to discuss GMAT strategies let me know. Are you also planning on applying to additional schools?

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hi
I am a female with a Liberal Arts background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program. I am looking for a profile evaluation. My plan is to specialize in Operations/Supply Chain/Entrepreneurship. Please evaluate my profile.

GMAT: 600 (39Q/36V) (This score is solely based on little prep via MBALaunch program. I am in a Manhattan Prep course now to get a much higher score)
GPA: 3.06
Degree: BA- Gender & Women Studies & African American Studies
Experience: 6 years total; 3 in Non Profit where I have received a promotion and created a new department (that is excelling and growing)
Extracurricular:
Board member (young professional) for the YWCA (also Social Chair).
Implementing a Young Professional board currently at my Non Profit.
Humanities and Arts Chair for Continental Societies, Inc (non profit org that focuses on children).

Please evaluate my profile and what should be my target score for GMAT be.

Originally posted by Thewmarie on 16 Aug 2017, 10:35.
Last edited by Thewmarie on 21 Aug 2017, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I would really appreciate if I can get a feedback on my profile:

Background and nationality: MS in CS from USA. Indian Male currently bases in USA.
Undergrad Information: 3.5
Grad Information: 3.76 (MS in Computer Science from a big 10 school)
GMAT: 670 (Q50 V31)
Work experience and leadership
Community and others: 5 years in a startup as computer vision engineer. Currently engineering manager. Recently company got acquired by an MNC.
Post MBA goals: I want to switch my field of work from Engineering to finance
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
techguyz wrote:
I would really appreciate if I can get a feedback on my profile:

Background and nationality: MS in CS from USA. Indian Male currently bases in USA.
Undergrad Information: 3.5
Grad Information: 3.76 (MS in Computer Science from a big 10 school)
GMAT: 670 (Q50 V31)
Work experience and leadership
Community and others: 5 years in a startup as computer vision engineer. Currently engineering manager. Recently company got acquired by an MNC.
Post MBA goals: I want to switch my field of work from Engineering to finance

Hi Techguyz,

Kelley's class average GMAt is about 670, however, for an Indian applicant a 670 is lower. You could try bringing it up by atleast another 20 points. It would also be important to see how your career goals in finance align with the skills you have built in your IT career. Your goals when presented in the application should sound feasible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Rotman '21
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hey,

So
GMAT : 710
GPA : 3.0 (Graduate in Commerce)
I am a Chartered Accountant & a CFA Charterholder
Experience
3 Years Internship in a top international audit firm (Audit)
3 Years Experience in a top US Investment bank (Product Controller for Structured Products)
Currently employed with a top US bank (Treasury Risk - Structural Interest Rate Risk Management)

I am planning to apply for 2021, by the time will have 2 years experience in my current role

Extra Curricular :
NGO Activities
1 Year in a Rotaract Club
Currently part of an NGO that engages in Education for the underprivileged kids (working as a teacher & Center head)

Can someone give me an evaluation and whether I should do something more to better my profile.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4