Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [17]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU Bound!
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618777 [27]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The events A and B are independent. The probability that event A occur [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
iPinnacle's got a great explanation for this particular problem. However, there is a basic principle here that I wanted to take a minute to explain.

Combined probability is a lot like overlapping sets in set theory. Several previous posters tried to figure out the odds of at least one of A and B by multiplying their probabilites, p and q. However, if we are counting the odds of A, and independently counting the odds of A, that means any time A and B both happen, we've counted twice! Thus, the odds of at least one of A and B occuring is p + q - pq--subtracting the overlap to offset the double counting.

Then, since overlaps are invalid in this particular problem, we subtract the overlap, pq, again, getting the same place iPinnacle did.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [4]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The events A and B are independent. The probability that event A occur [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
The events A and B are independent. The probability that event A occurs is p and the probability that event B occurs is q. Which of the following is equal to the probability that exactly one of the events A and B occurs?

A. p − 2pq
B. q − pq
C. p + q − 2pq
D. p + q − pq
E. p + q

Probability of A occuring = p , Probability of A NOT occuring = 1-p
Probability of B occuring = q , Probability of B not occurring = 1-q

Probability of atleast of one of A and B occuring = 1-(1-p)(1-q) = p+q -pq

D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I ll go with C

Probability of A happening and B not happrning- p*(1-q)
Probability of B happening and A not happening- q*(1-p)

Exactly 1 of them happening- p*(1-q)+ q*(1-p) = p+q-2pq
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 278
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
prashant212 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The events A and B are independent. The probability that event A occurs is p and the probability that event B occurs is q. Which of the following is equal to the probability that exactly one of the events A and B occurs?

A. p − 2pq
B. q − pq
C. p + q − 2pq
D. p + q − pq
E. p + q

Probability of A occuring = p , Probability of A NOT occuring = 1-p
Probability of B occuring = q , Probability of B not occurring = 1-q

Probability of atleast of one of A and B occuring = 1-(1-p)(1-q) = p+q -pq

D

This is not right. When you consider atleast one, it also means you are considering the possibility of both events occuring, which should be excluded as per the question.

So correct would be A occurs, B doesn't occur and B occurs, A doesn't occur = p(1-q) + q(1-p) = p+q-2pq
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
P does and q does not or q does and p does not
p(1-q)+q(1-p),
p+q-2pq
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Operations
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. p − 2pq
B. q − pq
C. p + q − 2pq
D. p + q − pq
E. p + q

Just to confirm, if we had to find the probability that one of the events A and B occurs (omitted the highlighted text)-
it would have been:
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
P(A or B) = p+ q- pq

Is this correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Probability of Exactly one of A or B occurring if I write it in Union form:
P(Exactly one occurring) = P(a U b) - P(a n b) = p(a) + p(b) - 2(p(a n b)) = p + q - 2pq(since a and b are independent)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Anigr16 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. p − 2pq
B. q − pq
C. p + q − 2pq
D. p + q − pq
E. p + q

Just to confirm, if we had to find the probability that one of the events A and B occurs (omitted the highlighted text)-
it would have been:
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
P(A or B) = p+ q- pq

Is this correct?

Yes
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM