Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Word Problemsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618761 [125]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [58]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [36]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 3989
Send PM
Re: The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, [#permalink]
IMO answer is B
The ratio given is 9:4:5 , so we can say that number of shirts , dresses and jackets are 9x, 4x, and 5x respectively.

From 1 the total number of shirts and jackets(14x) can be 14 or 28 ,both of which are <30.

From 2 we can have value of x as 2 since sum od shirts and dresses is 26(13x=26)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, [#permalink]
Kudos
varundixitmro2512 wrote:
IMO answer is B
The ratio given is 9:4:5 , so we can say that number of shirts , dresses and jackets are 9x, 4x, and 5x respectively.

From 1 the total number of shirts and jackets(14x) can be 14 or 28 ,both of which are <30.

From 2 we can have value of x as 2 since sum od shirts and dresses is 26(13x=26)

You are missing the information presented in the question stem"there are more than 7 dresses " so it cannot be 14.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [11]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, and jackets. The ratio of the number of shirts to the number of dresses to the number of jackets in the closet is 9:4:5, respectively. If there are more than 7 dresses in the closet, what is the total number of articles of clothing in the closet?

(1) The total number of shirts and jackets in the closet is less than 30
(2) The total number of shirts and dresses in the closet is 26

Statement 1:-

Since ratio of S:D= 9:4

For S+D<30, there are two possible cases

S+D= 9+4
or S+D= 18+8

9+4 is not possible as J>7

So, S+D= 18+8+10= 36
Sufficient

Statement 2:-

S+D= 26
9x+4x= 26

We will get the value of x , and hence can find out the total number of clothes. Sufficient.

D is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [5]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Kudos
IMO D
1. 9x+5x<30
therefore 14x<30
therefore x = 1 or 2
but dresses >7
so x!= 1
so x=2
sufficient
2).
9x+4x=26
13x=26
x=2
dresses =8 sufficient
so both A and B are sufficient
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [14]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, and jackets. The ratio of the number of shirts to the number of dresses to the number of jackets in the closet is 9:4:5, respectively. If there are more than 7 dresses in the closet, what is the total number of articles of clothing in the closet?

(1) The total number of shirts and jackets in the closet is less than 30
(2) The total number of shirts and dresses in the closet is 26

We are given that the ratio of shirts to dresses to jackets is 9 to 4 to 5. Thus:

shirts : dresses : jackets = 9x : 4x : 5x

We also are given that there are more than 7 dresses in the closet and must determine the total number of articles of clothing in the closet, i.e., the value of 9x + 4x + 5x = 18x.

Statement One Alone:

The total number of shirts and jackets in the closet is less than 30.

Using the information in statement one, we can create the following inequality:

9x + 5x < 30

14x < 30

x < 30/14

x < 2 1/7

Thus, x could either be 1 or 2.

If x = 1, then there are 4 dresses. If x = 2, then there are 8 dresses. Since the number of dresses is greater than 7, x must be 2. So there are 9(2) + 4(2) + 5(2) = 18 + 8 + 10 = 36 articles of clothing in the closet. Statement one alone is sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices B, C, and E.

Statement Two Alone:

The total number of shirts and dresses in the closet is 26.

Using the information in statement two, we can create the following equation:

9x + 4x = 26

13x = 26

x = 2

Once again, since we have determined the value of x, we have enough information to answer the question. Statement two is also sufficient to answer the question.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, [#permalink]
i think The answer is (1) if i am correct please tell me
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
ethelcurtis wrote:
i think The answer is (1) if i am correct please tell me

Hi ethel curtis,

If you click the correct answer (it's underneath the question) or you read any of the explanations in this thread, you see that the correct answer is actually . If you'd like help in dealing with this question, then you should talk through how you worked through it and post your 'steps.'

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29903 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
The only articles of clothing in a certain closet are shirts, dresses, [#permalink]
Kudos