Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [3]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: USC Marshall MBA.PM (2017 Intake)Class of 2020 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Reserved Post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: USC Marshall MBA.PM (2017 Intake)Class of 2020 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
I'm trying to complete my application for the Fall 2017 program. I opened an application in the Fall 2016 application cycle but did not complete it, and am trying to revisit the application to re-start the process. For some reason, Fall 2017 does not appear as an option and only Fall 2016 is available in the dropdown menu. No programs are selectable in the subsequent menus and I think I'm stuck in a weird technical glitch.

Any advice on who to contact or how to resolve?

Thanks,
Jason
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
curt1600 wrote:
I'm trying to complete my application for the Fall 2017 program. I opened an application in the Fall 2016 application cycle but did not complete it, and am trying to revisit the application to re-start the process. For some reason, Fall 2017 does not appear as an option and only Fall 2016 is available in the dropdown menu. No programs are selectable in the subsequent menus and I think I'm stuck in a weird technical glitch.

Any advice on who to contact or how to resolve?

Thanks,
Jason

USC Marshall MBA.PM application process has changed quite a bit this year. It's a completely different website, so you'll have to start a new application. :)
https://usc.liaisoncas.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

My name is Jenn and this is my first post on the GMATclub forum. :-D

I am currently getting my application together and hoping for a round 2 submission.

Best of luck to everyone!

-Jenn
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I know this forum is supposed to encourage applicants to apply to this program, but I feel compelled to come back to this forum and give advice if you're seriously considering this program.

I'm a current PM student, and my experience particularly with recruiting for summer internships has been frustrating. Although we're paying the same tuition as the full-timers, some summer internships are not open to part-time students. This means that certain company presentations and office hours with companies recruiting at Marshall are off limits to PM students. Marshall's Career Services Center claims that they can only do so much, and certain companies just have that as their standard policy, but it's very frustrating to learn this information far deep into the program.

Had I known this information when I was considering part-time business schools, I would have applied to another part-time program or applied to the full time program in the first place. It's disheartening and discouraging to hear that part timers are pretty much receiving substandard service for the same tuition.

Anyway, this advice only applies to those who are thinking about switching careers. If you're a career enhancer and are happy with your current job or company, then maybe USC's PM program is the right one for you. Otherwise, I'd apply to a higher caliber part-time program like UCLA's or Berkeley's. You wouldn't want to be stuck with all this student debt and extremely limited job/summer internship opportunities with Marshall.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TrojanMBA01 wrote:
I know this forum is supposed to encourage applicants to apply to this program, but I feel compelled to come back to this forum and give advice if you're seriously considering this program.

I'm a current PM student, and my experience particularly with recruiting for summer internships has been frustrating. Although we're paying the same tuition as the full-timers, some summer internships are not open to part-time students. This means that certain company presentations and office hours with companies recruiting at Marshall are off limits to PM students. Marshall's Career Services Center claims that they can only do so much, and certain companies just have that as their standard policy, but it's very frustrating to learn this information far deep into the program.

Had I known this information when I was considering part-time business schools, I would have applied to another part-time program or applied to the full time program in the first place. It's disheartening and discouraging to hear that part timers are pretty much receiving substandard service for the same tuition.

Anyway, this advice only applies to those who are thinking about switching careers. If you're a career enhancer and are happy with your current job or company, then maybe USC's PM program is the right one for you. Otherwise, I'd apply to a higher caliber part-time program like UCLA's or Berkeley's. You wouldn't want to be stuck with all this student debt and extremely limited job/summer internship opportunities with Marshall.

Thanks for the advice TrojanMBA01! Were you also considering UCLA and Berkeley part-time programs? If you were, what were the reasons for choosing Marshall?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
naminator89m wrote:
TrojanMBA01 wrote:

Thanks for the advice TrojanMBA01! Were you also considering UCLA and Berkeley part-time programs? If you were, what were the reasons for choosing Marshall?

I never applied to UCLA, although in hindsight, I probably should have. Their FEMBA program consistently ranks way higher than Marshall. I was waitlisted and was eventually dinged at Berkeley, but the only issue was that my GMAT score was low. They encouraged me to retake, but I just didn't have time. I chose Marshall because of their strong network. They do help each other out, and they look out for each other...I suppose with this as an exception.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
TrojanMBA01 wrote:
naminator89m wrote:
TrojanMBA01 wrote:

I never applied to UCLA, although in hindsight, I probably should have. Their FEMBA program consistently ranks way higher than Marshall. I was waitlisted and was eventually dinged at Berkeley, but the only issue was that my GMAT score was low. They encouraged me to retake, but I just didn't have time. I chose Marshall because of their strong network. They do help each other out, and they look out for each other...I suppose with this as an exception.

Hey TrojanMBA01,

Thanks for the advice! I'm considering USC Marshall's part time program as a career change as well. I heard that after your 1st year, you were supposed to be able to get access to the recruiting like full time students. Is that not true?

Another question, on an unrelated note. I'm looking for some current students to get a feel of the student experience. Is it cool if I shoot you a pm? And would you know if there was some other way to contact current students? I was going to email the admissions email for some help on that. Unfortunately, the site doesn't have student ambassadors for the part time program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, it is correct that you get access to the career center after your first core year. What I'm saying is that you won't have access to all the companies that are recruiting from Marshall. Some companies are open to recruiting part-timers. Others big name firms (I'm not going to name names, but think tech and consulting) specifically do not take part timers.

As for as student experience goes, the program is definitely intense and challenging - going to school part-time then working full time. It will definitely stretch you. This isn't some walk in the park per se, and you can't wing any of your classes. You slack off, you'll fail.

Other than that, yeah, feel free to PM me with any questions. USC should have student ambassadors, though. Just ask the admissions office, and they'll be happy to connect you with someone.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did anyone get an interview invite for Round 1? Could anyone share about his/her interview experience at Marshall? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The issue regarding only SOME companies are willing to take summer interns from only full time program is not exclusive to USC. If you talk to other students at UCLA and Cal, they would say the same.

That being said, USC is still considered a top ranking program and if you can utilize that you'd be fine. Some suggestions would be going to diversity conferences in the East Coast. I was in the PM program and got an interview with MBBs and a few BB IBDs (non-US office), and landed a banking internship.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
naminator89m wrote:
Did anyone get an interview invite for Round 1? Could anyone share about his/her interview experience at Marshall? :)

Re-posting interview debriefs of previous USC PM applicants. Hope that helps and all the best for you interview.

jackson09 wrote:
I had my interview yesterday as well, but with kellee scott, a member of the adcom. She is extremely friendly and the interview definitely leaned on the "conversational" side of things. However, I was so nervous. I wish I could do it again and make myself feel more calm. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. We spent roughly half of that time discussing my current job and the other half of the questions were about what I wanted to do in the future. She said we should hear an answer by the end of the week.

Overall, I don't feel too great about my performance. Fingers crossed that I am just being hard on myself.

Bchen314 wrote:
The interview was very conservational and relaxed. In addition to the standard questions (Why mba, why now, why marshall, describe a difficult situation and what you learned from it), I also got a few questions that pertained to my recent promotion to manager of my department. How would you describe your management style? Are you more of a project manager or people manager? The last question I got was "tell me the one thing you would want me to remember about you".

My interviewer also repeated my answers as she understood them, to make sure there were no mis-understandings (this helped me relax quite a bit actually).

Good luck on your interview!

Submit your interview debrief: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/select.php (Select 'Business Schools' ----> School Name -----> Program -----> Admission Interview)
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A couple more...

AlexCote wrote:
My interview was fairly informal, mostly conversational, but with a few straightforward interview questions one would expect: Walk me through your day-to-day operations at your job; why do you want an MBA and why is now the right time; describe a difficult situation in which you took a leadership role.

titleist1 wrote:
interviewed with elaine - most of the questions from what i can remember: resume walk-thru, why mba, why usc.pm, what will you contribute to the program, describe a time you were faced with an adverse situation and what you did to overcome it, what are your hobbies... interview took almost the full hour. overall it was very conversational and, for the most part, chill.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
A week left for Marshall PM R1 decisions. Anyone feeling anxious? How you guys are managing the wait?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the call. I'm in! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got the notice that I was accepted to the Marshall Part-Time program!

I had a sub-600 GMAT score. I believe I was able to counter this shortfall with strong work experience and people management experience, 3.5 undergrad GPA (strong grades in quant courses), and a solid interview.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts