Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology
GRE 1: Q165 V162
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Kudos
ChemEng2013 wrote:
It worries me a bit to hear that such a large percentage of admits attended the Ambassador Day. I'm currently on secondment - there's no way I could have made it there :(

Only a few more weeks of waiting...

I mean how realistic is it for a prospective candidate to fly out to Boston and attend this thing?? Especially if there is no guarantee that you would even be accepted.
I think its just correlation and not causation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
djokovicwu wrote:
ChemEng2013 wrote:
It worries me a bit to hear that such a large percentage of admits attended the Ambassador Day. I'm currently on secondment - there's no way I could have made it there :(

I mean how realistic is it for a prospective candidate to fly out to Boston and attend this thing?? Especially if there is no guarantee that you would even be accepted.

As someone who has gone 2 years in a row, it's super helpful with the application. They go through what they are looking for in more detail. You also should fly out for an interview if you get one, and if there's a slim chance of you getting in, why would you fly out? This is the only school I've applied to this year, and if it doesn't work out, next year I'll start applying to more schools. I still think it's worth the $500 to learn more about a program I'm super interested in.

And I'm just saying what they said last year about the applicant pool. This year there were only about 60 at the LGO day, but last year it was closer to 200.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hopeful2018 wrote:
djokovicwu wrote:
ChemEng2013 wrote:

As someone who has gone 2 years in a row, it's super helpful with the application. They go through what they are looking for in more detail. You also should fly out for an interview if you get one, and if there's a slim chance of you getting in, why would you fly out? This is the only school I've applied to this year, and if it doesn't work out, next year I'll start applying to more schools. I still think it's worth the $500 to learn more about a program I'm super interested in.

And I'm just saying what they said last year about the applicant pool. This year there were only about 60 at the LGO day, but last year it was closer to 200.

I've also attended LGO Ambassador/Preview Day the past two years and agree that you learn a lot more than you could from the website about the people/culture etc. and, perhaps more importantly, it shows the adcoms "demonstrated interest" in the program.

That having been said, I don't think that not attending is a dealbreaker by any means. However, it may mean that you'll need to show "demonstrated interest" in other ways...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
I've also attended LGO Ambassador/Preview Day the past two years and agree that you learn a lot more than you could from the website about the people/culture etc. and, perhaps more importantly, it shows the adcoms "demonstrated interest" in the program.

That having been said, I don't think that not attending is a dealbreaker by any means. However, it may mean that you'll need to show "demonstrated interest" in other ways...

Definitely would take the time to fly out to Boston if an interview came my way. My perspective is that I am in CA and it's a non-trivial cost to fly out if it's only for some open house. If I were in East coast and could take a weekend to drive/train over, thats a diff story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
djokovicwu wrote:
Quote:

Definitely would take the time to fly out to Boston if an interview came my way. My perspective is that I am in CA and it's a non-trivial cost to fly out if it's only for some open house. If I were in East coast and could take a weekend to drive/train over, thats a diff story.

I'm in Utah. It's not cheap to go out there. But like ABC said, it just shows interest in the program.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Yea, I'm currently based in China - no way I'm footing the $1000 ticket to possibly still be rejected (as awesome as MIT is). I've spoken to a few Sloanies and a few LGOs to learn more, so fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: IMD Jan'18
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
I'm based out the Middle East. Would still be up for going :). It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
looks like my optional YouTube only got one hit thus far, which was a week ago. Is that a bad sign considering that there should at least be two people who goes over each application?? :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
djokovicwu wrote:
looks like my optional YouTube only got one hit thus far, which was a week ago. Is that a bad sign considering that there should at least be two people who goes over each application?? :(

Maybe the two reviewers viewed your video together?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
djokovicwu wrote:

Not necessarily. I just had 1 profile view that was set to private on LinkedIn 3 days ago. I wouldnt stress anything until after January 10th and you don't hear about an interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q167 V162
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
I had one person view my website last week, too nervous to check again. They did spend a good amount of time on it though and even clicked through to another website I have that I linked just for **** and giggles so that could be a good thing!!! Or they called in their colleagues to come laugh at it.. hmm
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Since we are sharing...I had 4 hits on my video and some private hits on the website as well. Couple of hits on the technical video as well but was not completely viewed. Probably will be viewed completely by someone who will be able to evaluate it technically. What an experience applying for the program. I hope I get to interview and meet all of you at MIT :)
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Get guys, received an email 2 days ago regarding a login portal on sloans website since I applied from the school of engineering. As of right now they haven't sent out interview decisions. I spoke to the adcom yesterday and was told they will send them from 4th to 10th to most of the people they shall be interviewing.

On another note, I did not attend the preview day. Can someone enlighten me as to what they look for in LGOs?

Other Questions:
A. If an LGO can answer how do international GPA compare to american ones (mine's a 10.00 system from Canada)
B. How much does GPA matter?
C. What is the acceptance rate for the program?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
**** just got another view today on my video. that makes me feel better... but of course it all comes down in January ultimately.

hope you all get lots of views:), i know it takes a lot of effort to prepare these things!!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
The acceptance rate is around the same as it is for Sloan MBA. This comes from a student.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Sloan acceptance rate was around 13.6% last year. considering <50 people enroll and assuming 60 are accepted, ~441 people apply to the program..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
arushisehgal wrote:
Sloan acceptance rate was around 13.6% last year. considering <50 people enroll and assuming 60 are accepted, ~441 people apply to the program..

I feel validated with my original guess of ~500 applicants! :p
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts