Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Ross or Reapply

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Ross or Reapply [#permalink]
Expert Reply
brownbear99 wrote:
Just finished a rough cycle but was fortunate enough to get into Ross. Unfortunately though, it was the only school of the five I applied to that let me in and they gave me no money. For a bit of background, I went to a top 50 school (closer to the top of that range), worked in investment banking, and now work in corp dev at a large company ($10B+). Undergrad GPA is 3.6 and GMAT 730. If I choose to go in the Fall I'd have 3 years of WE at Matriculation. My goal is to pivot back to an investment bank but in Equity Research and then move to hedge fund after that. My question is do I pull the trigger and go to Ross or reapply next fall to try and get into a better ranked program that has a bigger finance focus. Would I be able to get into Equity Research at a large bank like Goldman or JPM or Citi via Ross? Would my result be that much different if I applied again next year? Biggest factors that would change are the WE, possibly a better GMAT (though is that needed?), and more volunteer leadership possibly. Ideally I'd like to go to a more finance type school (i.e., Wharton, CBS, Booth) but I'm not sure I should skip on Ross, spend another year at my job all for the possibility of getting into another place. But then again I am early in my career and got no scholarship... Also how might hedge funds view Ross on my resume down the line?

Any thoughts/advice? Would love to hear them

First of all for getting a merit scholarship - it's not the norm or standard.
Your whole application and GMAT needs to be significantly above the average. They have to bribe you to go there.

To answer your question:

1.) Identify title of who you hope will hire you post-MBA (not one person, of course, but title for this rank) 2) Same as 1 but for MBA recruiters at the banks AND headhunters 3) work real-life and Linked In connections to get in touch with these people - write a clear, specific email - and put this question to them.

Also, recommend you do a Linked In search for those with post-MBA job you want and see if Ross comes up. I am a big believer of going to the source - the end consumer of your MBA tuition - and asking them rather than playing guessing games with crystal balls. The answer you need is available if you ask the right people and you should, because, lots of money and much at stake.

Also, given your stats, have someone review your application materials. I suspect they didn't help you. I can probably fit in a brief (free) review of one application to give you some directional feedback and post-R2 deadlines would happy to do a comprehensive (paid) ding analysis.

Keep in mind that the best profile, articulated poorly, will not do you any good. I'll post my ideal application standards below.

Resume: Every single word has a purpose. It uses universal language instead of industry jargon. It contains resume bullets that are one line, focusing on actions and quantifiable achievements. If not a quantifiable achievement, something that speaks to human motivations, such as saving time and improving a process. Anyone from any industry would be able to step into your resume, and comprehend the value of what you have done. There is space to breathe on the page. It has white space, and the reader feels good when they look at it. It looks inviting. It has simple elegance.

Essays: The essays use anecdotes and examples that are written in chronological order. The reader can mentally see the story unfold. The story is told in brief sentences in a way that is accessible to a broad audience. Each essay shows a different side of you, yet all of them feel authentic, sincere, and accessible. They demonstrate self-awareness, personal growth, leadership and results-orientation. You reach the reader on both an analytical and emotional level.

Letters of recommendation: The recommender can “see” you – see the uniqueness of you – and articulate that eloquently. The letter is comprised chiefly of clear, specific anecdotes that point to your talents in the area of problem-solving, teamwork, leadership, communication and innovation. The reader is emotionally moved by the content and, ideally, wants to champion you to the adcom in quite the same way as the writer.

Online application: Twitter on steroids. Elevator pitch. Distills valuable information about you clearly and succinctly. Everything illustrates qualities that business schools value – strategic thinking, results orientation, etc. Employment section gives the reader a clear, succinct understanding of the experience you’ve gained, employing simple, universal language. The activities and awards point to the overall brand that you set forth in other aspects of the application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the very detailed feedback. I'm already in the midst of searching for people in ER that went to Ross and also subsequently to funds after ER. Plan is definitely to reach out to them and get their input. I think I can meaningfully change my resume for next year - I was just promoted (tried to inform schools but I don't know if they looked at it/how much it counted for at the late stage in the process), will have significantly more volunteer experience including joining a board of the local chapter of a well known national non-profit focused on mentoring and organizing a major fundraising event for them in the spring that is already planned, and potentially the GMAT bump (I'm sure I can score better but it's just a lot of time for an incremental 20-30 point gain).

bb - you make a lot of good points. I'm having someone review for why the dings and helping answer that exact question. I also didn't apply to the programs you mentioned and focused on other schools in the top 10 because I thought they'd be more achievable. Would it be silly not go to Ross if there is a chance it can get me to ER? I'm trying to stay level headed but the prestige factor is a bit irksome too if I'm honest.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
You're young. You have time. If you have doubts at this point (I did), then to me that's a red flag to wait a bit. If next year or in a few years you still want to re-apply to Ross, you can and you can be admitted again. PM me if you want more details.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aerien wrote:
You're young. You have time. If you have doubts at this point (I did), then to me that's a red flag to wait a bit. If next year or in a few years you still want to re-apply to Ross, you can and you can be admitted again. PM me if you want more details.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thanks aerien, I'm leaning that way I think.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Well it also depends on how much you hate your current gig

If you are fine with staying then reapply next year

If you are not just pull the trigger, Ross is an awesome school
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
beefphoforthewin wrote:
Well it also depends on how much you hate your current gig

If you are fine with staying then reapply next year

If you are not just pull the trigger, Ross is an awesome school

Fair point, I don't love my job but I definitely don't hate it. I think I'm coming to conclusion I should reapply next year. I was pretty close with CBS this year and I think I can show a lot of development in 12 months that'll improve my candidacy a lot. Plus for my goals Ross isn't exactly aligned, I should try to go to a more finance oriented school. Just a bummer though, oh well could be worse. Thanks for the advice guys!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for reporting back and getting some closure!
Interesting enough, I have been in touch with one of the GMAT Club members who was in a similar situation with Fuqua. Eventually those chose to go to Fuqua instead of waiting a year, reapplying, asking for more LOR's and developing a new story line and new set of accomplishments. I guess it is all a matter of perspective at the end!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts