Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Tuck '20 (WL)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Energy Trek to Green Mountain Power’s Stafford Hill Solar Farm

By Meghna Kedia T’18

I don’t consider myself a morning person. My gym buddy would attest to that. But when it came to waking up at 7:00 a.m. on a chilly November day in Hanover to trek towards the Stafford Hill Solar Farm in Rutland, VT, I was every bit as annoying as that “Are we there yet?” kid. My fellow Tuckies and I were excited to see new technology in action. Fortunately, we made good time crossing over state lines. Surprised to be parking near a 9.5 acre land-fill, we had to check the GPS to make sure we’d come the right way.

Huddling together, looking like our weather app had cheated us, 30 other Tuckies and I were welcomed by Dan Mackey, the “energy champion” and project manager for Green Mountain Power’s (GMP) 2.2 megawatt solar array at Stafford. Dan has been with GMP for 25 years. The solar array is his baby, and there was a subtle pride in how his crew, against all-weather odds, laid each of the 7,000 panels. When prompted to explain why GMP chose to put a photovoltaic (PV) plant right on top of a waste eye sore, he explained, “At GMP, we believe in putting unusable land to use.” Move over residential solar, GMP is paneling brownfields.

It was inspiring to see a utility in the small state of Vermont focused on providing integrated energy services and generating clean, cost-effective and reliable power. With state-of-the-art demand response for power outages in a winter storm prone area, the GMP crew is setting new standards, including providing weather updates on Facebook and Twitter.

The panels have been fired up for less than a year now, but GMP’s state-of-the art facility is not just a solo act—it’s a game-changing partnership with DynaPower, a global leader in energy storage inverters. Storage is to solar what filters are to Instagram. As an engineer, I felt like I’d seen it all, when we stood inside the storage system of four, 500 kW solar plus storage inverters, which combined solar-PV and battery energy storage within a single inverter. Dan went on to mention that it was this marriage of solar and storage that allowed them to meet peak summer demands and save $200,000 in a single hour!

As someone who worked in investment banking in mining, I didn’t truly understand my industry until I visited a copper mine. There aren’t too many times that you get to step out of conferences or classroom discussions around the economics of renewables to actually marvel at the majestic installations that power the future of sustainable energy.

Meghna is a clean energy and FinTech enthusiast who will tell you she’s vegetarian but she secretly loves chicken. Before Tuck she worked in natural resources investment banking in Mumbai and Toronto. She is an active member of the Tech Club, Design Club, and the Revers Center for Energy. Meghna loves being productive, even on vacations, and will often trick you into talking about Canada, managing your personal finances, and endurance training.

The Revers Center for Energy inspires and shapes tomorrow's leaders in energy while engaging today's energy community. It aspires to establish Tuck as the preeminent business school for learning practical leadership in the energy industry.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
tx-guy13 wrote:
kmar1613 wrote:
Has anyone received a congratulatory email for November round applicants?

Those shouldn't go out until 2/10 according to their published deadlines.

Just received an email from Tuck informing that admission decisions for the November round will be available at 5:00PM ET on Friday, February 10.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
So it seems to me like there have been no ROUND 3 or JANUARY ROUND adcom initiate interview invites yet - correct?

If yes, when are they supposed to go out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Tuck '20 (WL)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
bb10 wrote:
So it seems to me like there have been no ROUND 3 or JANUARY ROUND adcom initiate interview invites yet - correct?

There have. They come on a rolling basis, there is no firm date. It seems that typically you get an email that confirms your app is complete, which indicates that they have begun reviewing your application. Then it's anywhere from 1-2 weeks that you'll get invite if you do get one. If you dont here anything within that timeframe, it's probably a ding.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
tx-guy13 wrote:
bb10 wrote:

There have. They come on a rolling basis, there is no firm date. It seems that typically you get an email that confirms your app is complete, which indicates that they have begun

Damn - mine was confirmed on January 20th - oh bummer. This one hurts - really liked Tuck's program. Spoke to many students, had friends in the School and in the area :(
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Tuck '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
bb10 wrote:
tx-guy13 wrote:
bb10 wrote:

There have. They come on a rolling basis, there is no firm date. It seems that typically you get an email that confirms your app is complete, which indicates that they have begun

Damn - mine was confirmed on January 20th - oh bummer. This one hurts - really liked Tuck's program. Spoke to many students, had friends in the School and in the area :(

For what its worth, I received my invite on 30th December while my application went under review on 6th December. So all is not lost bb10! :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Phew! Ok - hanging on!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Why Applying to B-school is like Preparing for the Super Bowl

Getting ready to kick-off the MBA application process? Some color commentary for the football minded: Why applying to b-school is like preparing for the Super Bowl.  

You’ve been getting ready for this your whole life (even if you didn’t know it).

This is a holistic and thoughtful process. You can’t simply become a strong MBA candidate in a few months. We’re looking at your story comprehensively—how you perform in the classroom, your track record of involvement, the decisions you’ve made to go from one job to the next, etc. These things don’t just materialize when you decide b-school is right for you. Don’t let the pressure impact you too much though—keep reading!

You don’t have to have all the best players to have the best team.

The Patriots didn’t draft Tom Brady until the 6th round. Patriots wide receiver, Julian Edelman, played quarterback in college. Sure they’re some of the best now, but that wasn’t always the case. It’s about being one part of a collective whole. Similarly, you don’t have to be perfect across every dimension. Different applicants stand out for different reasons.

That said, put your best foot forward and shine where you can. Learn to tell your story, regardless of what it is, in a clear and convincing way. Look at your current resume and career goals objectively—will an admissions committee see a common thread? If it’s not that obvious (and even if it is), you should be really good at explaining it to us.

Utilize the experts.

In football it might be the coaches or other key personnel; in b-school admissions it’s your colleagues, friends, and program resources (in-person and online events, student ambassadors, etc.). Talk about the MBA in general. Talk about specific schools. Determine what’s important to you. The more information you have, the better you’ll understand how you and your goals fit in. As such, you’ll be better prepared to submit a strong application and make an ultimate choice if you’re faced with more than one admit.

Quick time-out on this one: Utilizing the experts does not mean having someone else do the work for you—not even an admissions consultant.

Other questions? Punt them to us using the comment section below! 
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Good luck November round people! Decisions are out in just a few days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM