Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Kelley ($) vs. Kenan-Flagler (no $) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If you want to career switch Kellogg is your best choice here and will allow you the flexibility to pursue either of the career paths you are considering. I am just not a real believer in the ability of an online program even from those great schools to help you materially reach your goals especially at the price tag at UNC. If you are serious about the benefits of an MBA go with Kellogg. Farrel gave some great advice about the more personal advice of your decision so please don't overlook that
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for everyone’s opinions and suggestions – definitely great insight and I appreciate the time taken to read through my post and chime in!

I do agree with many of the statements regarding the online format; it’s definitely not the preferred route for me. But I do know that I need an MBA at some point so that I can at least continue to advance upwards if I don’t switch careers. I also believe my resume is strong, with experience at some high-profile tech companies. I was hoping the combination of my WE plus an MBA (even if completed online from a well-ranked school) would position me for continued advancement in my industry, as well as some flexibility to move into a new function. I agree that UNC is probably not worth the pricetag. From my conversation with Kelley’s online program about their experience with career services, they do have the same access to career services as full-time students (including job postings, career fairs and networking events, etc.), and there are also companies who specifically post jobs for online candidates as they have more work experience. A few people I spoke with at both UNC and Kelley were also able to land jobs at high-profile companies or even move into consulting, so I guess it just depends on the strength of the candidate. But yes, no question that switching careers is definitely easier in a full-time program.

That being said, I ended up getting into Kellogg! After speaking with my wife, we decided it would be worth the investment for me to go there as it will likely significantly increase my long-term earning potential, even if that means we’ll be sitting on more debt than we would like. My wife will also be earning income soon, and we’ll hopefully get some support from our families. After Kellogg, I think I can leverage my experience in Retail to consult for 1-2 years, and then take a Director role at a consumer goods company.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Super happy for you...it is funny how things take the complexity out of a tough decision. You will learn a ton at Kellogg. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.72
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
stp015 wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s opinions and suggestions – definitely great insight and I appreciate the time taken to read through my post and chime in!

I do agree with many of the statements regarding the online format; it’s definitely not the preferred route for me. But I do know that I need an MBA at some point so that I can at least continue to advance upwards if I don’t switch careers. I also believe my resume is strong, with experience at some high-profile tech companies. I was hoping the combination of my WE plus an MBA (even if completed online from a well-ranked school) would position me for continued advancement in my industry, as well as some flexibility to move into a new function. I agree that UNC is probably not worth the pricetag. From my conversation with Kelley’s online program about their experience with career services, they do have the same access to career services as full-time students (including job postings, career fairs and networking events, etc.), and there are also companies who specifically post jobs for online candidates as they have more work experience. A few people I spoke with at both UNC and Kelley were also able to land jobs at high-profile companies or even move into consulting, so I guess it just depends on the strength of the candidate. But yes, no question that switching careers is definitely easier in a full-time program.

That being said, I ended up getting into Kellogg! After speaking with my wife, we decided it would be worth the investment for me to go there as it will likely significantly increase my long-term earning potential, even if that means we’ll be sitting on more debt than we would like. My wife will also be earning income soon, and we’ll hopefully get some support from our families. After Kellogg, I think I can leverage my experience in Retail to consult for 1-2 years, and then take a Director role at a consumer goods company.

I was in the same exact position two years ago as you are today, where I considered these three options. The online route just doesn't seem like it holds much value, and I knew people in Kellogg's program were able to recruit for new jobs, so I made the same decision too. IMO this is easily the right choice given what your goals are.

The difference with me was I started with about $8k in undergrad loans, not $120k. Best of luck to you, $200k+ is an insane hole to take on. I hope you enjoy Kellogg.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks bjb5228

It's a certainly a tall task, but getting into the accelerated program and waiving out of 4 core classes really helps. We'll just need to live modestly for a few years and put all supplemental income into paying down tuition. If I'm diligent I think I could graduate with ~$170K total, which is more manageable. It's a scary number, but it must be worth it for the experience/long-term income potential. Right?? I hope...!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts