Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3459 [219]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [151]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [25]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2727 [21]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Nihit wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

I guess its D,

Reverse the sentence to make more sense out of it

immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold gold in the form of bullion or coins.

Clearly because of seems to make more sense here. This SC looks weird because the orig. sentence is sort of reversed. The best way to attack is FLIP THE SENTENCE :)

BTW, I found out this method while I was solving this SC. I did not read this anywhere so don't follow it blindly. Use it at your discretion :)

Originally posted by amitdgr on 20 Sep 2008, 13:58.
Last edited by amitdgr on 20 Sep 2008, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
**************What is the importance of comma?****************
I really hate this question, Could someone explain me???
I will take D in the exam becaues of its concise, but only my doudt is......

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, thus officers making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
In ETS---structure is " s+v, thus s+v " (cause-effect)
ex1 I would like to have a high Gmat score, so it makes me insane.
ex2 I would like to have a high Gmat score, thus it makes me insane.
ex3 I would like to have a high Gmat score, thus making me insane.
ex4 I would like to have a high Gmat score, making me insane.
ex1-ex4 is correct answer, reling on what your emotion is. ;-)
In very formal writting----you can eliminate "thus" that make many people confused, including me. So I really hate this type of question coz readers must be guessed what an auther dream. If you not exactly understand structure of "S+V, thus S+make", you might be confused with relative pronoun. I try to understand many hundred times, before get this insane rule.
(if the question is true, it must answer A)

B. With a law (which a law was)passed in 1933 (that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment) that a United States citizen hold
1.you have double relative pronoun,
2. what " that make it a crime...." modifies" in 1933"or "a law"(but subject is too far),
3.and "it " mean a law. so B is so confused,awkward and weird.

C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
like answer B.

D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
"Mayur".... I agree with your answer that "for" should follow "making it a crime punishable by imprisonment"'. Only my missgiving is that is it double relative pronoun??like answer B. I would like to pick this awswer only if it has a comma behind "in 1933".it is unquestionable for me that choic D is more concise than A and look like the best answer. Finally, I think "nakib 77" must be fallen a comma, when she types this question.

E. Due to a law (which was)being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Because of+ noun
due to + noun
on account of + noun
thanks to+noun
owing to +noun
all of these group are the same function, except "Due to" you must not put before clause. In toefl, it may be right, but not in GMAT
ex1 He succeed due to his indomitalbe will.
ex2 because of/ thanks to/on account of/owing to/ the height of the wall, the house con't be seen from the road.
ex3 It was due to the fog that the rain was delayed. 555
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [11]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
fiesta wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they hat to surrender all of the gold they hat brought with them
A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1993 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Please hepl me, thanks!!!

US citizen hold gold in the form of... --> incorrect
US citizen "to hold"/"holding" gold in the form of... --> correct

A, B are out.

C --> modifier problem.. rewrite the setence

immigrants,A law passed in 1993 that made , found that .. they had to surrender ..,
--> means immigrants -- are a law passed in 1993

Between D and E
D) immigrants,Because of a law passed in 1993 ..., found that .. they had to surrender .
--> LOOKS GOOD
E) immigrants,Due to a law being passed in 1993 ..., found that .. they had to surrender . --. No modifer problem but being passed ... always (most of the time) incorrect in GMAT.. strike out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
option A and B are wrong because of meaning issue. A law is not hold be US citizen
C is wrong as two independent clauses should be linked by conjunction.
Between D and E...
E is wordy
D correct
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [5]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

INCORRECT PORTIONS UNDERLINED......

A.On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonmentthat a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold....CORRECT
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [16]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Modifier,Modifier,Modified Noun(immigrants)
Immigrants , with a law passed.., found that
Main Clause,Main Clause RUNON
Shows stated cause and effect.
Due to ...being
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Option (D) has grammatical error:

D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

ing modifier modifies immediate noun but it is placed after 1993, further doer of the action is missing.. who is making ?

IMO only option B has no grammatical errors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

ambiguous, because "making" could refer to "immigrants"
"makes" should be "made"
C. A law (passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding)
fragment
correct usage
awkward
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [7]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
PiyushK wrote:
Option (D) has grammatical error:

ing modifier modifies immediate noun but it is placed after 1993, further doer of the action is missing.. who is making ?

IMO only option B has no grammatical errors.

Verb-ing modifier without a comma modifies the preceding noun or noun phrase. In option D making modifies the noun phrase "law passed in 1993". So it is grammatically correct.
Refer to this very useful post by e-GMAT https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html?fl=similar

Option B has a number of grammatical errors.
B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins
The word "With" requires a doer. Who passed the Law ? and Why did the person/entity passed the Law ?
In the absence of a doer the sentence is incomplete. If we cut through the fluff, this sentence is reduced to:
With a law passed that makes it a crime that a US citizen do something, immigrants found something. - Makes no sense. With and Because are not interchangeable.

Also the law itself is not stated clearly in B - Law that makes it a crime that a US citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins.
The Law is supposed to make it a crime for a US citizen to hold gold.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k,

IN option A there might be some other errors but could you please let me know what making is modifying

As per my knowledge comma + -ing modifies the preceding clause
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k,

IN option A there might be some other errors but could you please let me know what making is modifying

As per my knowledge comma + -ing modifies the preceding clause

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, any one-size-fits-all rule about participles is worse than useless. Participles have a bewildering array of uses and no one rule is going to capture it all.

In the bigger picture, your question is indicative of the wrong approach. Many students incorrectly imagine that they can get to GMAT SC mastery by memorizing all the rules: that is an entirely chimerical pursuit. Yes, there are some grammar rules one needs to learn, but even if one learns every conceivable rule, that's less than half the story. Mastery comes from developing intuition about the language, about how words and structures are used in the living flow. For a non-native speaker, the best way to develop this intuition is to cultivate a rigorous habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

In this SC problem, version (A) is an awkward disaster. For a native speaker, it's obvious how awful it is. That would be the most important thing for a non-native speaker to learn to appreciate. The participle "making" here acts as a noun-modifier modifying "law." That's one of the few things that (A) gets correct.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos