Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2852 [4]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
1st attempt 670 (q50, v30) - disappointed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi underwood28,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I understand how you must be feeling right now, however GMAT is a fairly tricky exam which can be improved upon given adequate practice. I completely agree with skywalker18, I think E-gmat might be a great option for you to improve upon your SC given their strong emphasis on Non-natives. Further I would also recommend trying out Empowergmat. I think it is a great course and they do offer 1 hour trial which will help you get a taste of their course. I am also attaching some important practice questions which can be found on various posts on GMAT club. I hope you find them helpful. All the best.
Attachments

GPSC Answers.doc [156 KiB]
Downloaded 39 times

GPSC-1.doc [495 KiB]
Downloaded 57 times

Answers to 198 Level 700 questions from GMAT Prep I.pdf [345.88 KiB]
Downloaded 49 times

198 Level 700 questions from GMAT Prep I.pdf [274.55 KiB]
Downloaded 59 times

GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC OA.pdf [615.96 KiB]
Downloaded 44 times

GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC.pdf [1.12 MiB]
Downloaded 308 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Re: 1st attempt 670 (q50, v30) - disappointed [#permalink]
Many thanks to you all for your comments!

Skywalker18 , I had not thought of an ESR, but given the surprise in verbal I think it is worth it, so I will go for it. And I had always thought online courses were not the best way to invest my time, but it looks like maybe I could use some new strategies and a different approach so maybe that will be right for me... Thank you again!

EMPOWERgmatRichC , thank you for your words! My top 3 bs are Booth, Columbia and Wharton, and I (humbly) think the other parts of my application could make my profile interesting (top employer, top 10 in uni, international work, support at work with essays, and some interesting extracurriculars...) so I will definitely retake. After all, Gmat is an exam and not entering my 1st choice with a competitive candidacy because of a poor (or not good enough) score is not conceivable for me at the moment!! But I will definitely ask in the thread you posted to better assess my real possibilities! Thanks. And yes, after all 670, although my lowest score, is within the range... overall, the surprise was the decline in verbal (from 35 [lowest score in CATs] to 30). I guess it should only take some improves in verbal and I will be over 700! And yes, all CATs at the same time as my exam, 8 minute breaks, quiet room at home (is it a negative point?) and no CAT repeated, so no familiar questions for me! but yes, it is with the +/- 30 range after all. Thank you again!

rohan2345 thank you for the attachments. I came across the SC docs you are attaching at the end of my preparation, but I´m sure if I had put more time into it I would have done better on the real exam. I did not know about the other docs, so thank you (overall quant questions seem fun to practice! :lol: ). And yes, I am already looking for the course that will better adjust to my needs, so thank you for the great input.

I hope to post again in a few months letting you know your advice helped me achieve +700 (I´ve set future target in +720, but above 700 I guess it could be enough)

Best
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi underwood28,

If you know how to calculate an average, then it shouldn't be hard for you to figure out that Booth, Columbia and Wharton will invite a number of applicants who scored 670 to attend School (and they do this every year). This is meant to say that your score is absolutely "in the range" of what what all of those Schools consider acceptable, so you should absolutely apply to all 3 of those Schools (even if 670 ends up being your best GMAT score). That all having been said, there's certainly no harm in retesting, and a significantly higher GMAT score could help the strength of your overall application.

To that end, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
underwood28 wrote:

What do you guys think I could do to improve my verbal? I have been reading for an hour every day of my preparation (1 month and a half) and read every day one or two articles in the economist. Maybe try some other guide, like Aristotle? I am having a break now and will retake in some months, with another month or so for preparation.

Did you have any strategy for Reading the Economist OR you just used to read and it still helped.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
HKD1710 wrote:
underwood28 wrote:

What do you guys think I could do to improve my verbal? I have been reading for an hour every day of my preparation (1 month and a half) and read every day one or two articles in the economist. Maybe try some other guide, like Aristotle? I am having a break now and will retake in some months, with another month or so for preparation.

Did you have any strategy for Reading the Economist OR you just used to read and it still helped.

I just read it, focusing on understanding intention rather than meaning of every single word or phrase. I guess thats what is tested (or intended to be tested) in the exam: your understanding of intention rather your knowledge of english itself.

Also, at least for me, the less fun the less effort, so trying to read something with a strategy would have kept me away from reading as much as I did.

Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi underwood28,

If you know how to calculate an average, then it shouldn't be hard for you to figure out that Booth, Columbia and Wharton will invite a number of applicants who scored 670 to attend School (and they do this every year). This is meant to say that your score is absolutely "in the range" of what what all of those Schools consider acceptable, so you should absolutely apply to all 3 of those Schools (even if 670 ends up being your best GMAT score). That all having been said, there's certainly no harm in retesting, and a significantly higher GMAT score could help the strength of your overall application.

To that end, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich

Yes, thanks for your words! I am pretty aware of that, although I think 670 is still out of the 80% of most of those BS. However, probably q50 would give me more chances, but I hope I can improve in my next retake. Thank you for support.

Regarding your queries,

1) I practiced a lot. Maybe around 12-14 hours a day, except for the day before, when I just read my MGMAT SC notes and Powerscore Bible CR notes and did some few OG exercises... I did not want to stop doing exercises the day right before. Maybe that exhausted me a bit...
2) I slept well, for 8 hours. I had been going to sleep every night at the same hour, one that would allow me to sleep for 8 hours and still have time enough to get ready before the exam on the exam day, so I had a set schedule. So imo that was not a problem!
3) I took a taxi that took me only 15 minutes, so I guess that did not exhaust me either!
4) Actually there were, but in the AWA: The lights went off for 5 minutes. I think that actually benefited me, since I could have an additional mini-break after 20 minutes doing the AWA. After that, everything went well. I did the verbal alone in the room, without any other exam taker in the room.
5) I ate a banana and some cereal snack and drank some water. Before entering the room, I jumped for 30 second to increase blood stream.
6) I did not. Actually in the verbal part I had to rush through the last 8 questions (I remember I had only 10 minutes left) but that was something I was used to in my exams - I do not read quick in English.
7) Same as 6), although I managed to have time enough to choose the answer I though was correct. I mean, I did not do any educated guess, but had less time to rethink the question twice before answering.

Thank you again for your interest.

Best,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Very sad to know about your score in GMAT and all the best for your upcoming attempt.
+1 for the points, you shared.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi underwood28,

From what you described, you did far too much work in the last 3 days before your Official GMAT - and that likely caused you to 'burn out' a bit before Test Day. Studying for 12-14 hours a day is NEVER a good idea - and doing so in the last few days before your Exam is the worst possible time to put in those types of hours (that type of 'cramming' may have helped you in College, but it doesn't really work when dealing with a Standardized Test such as the GMAT). The drop in Verbal Scaled Score might be attributable to just that one thing. As such, if you're going to re-attempt the GMAT, then you cannot repeat that behavior. There might also be a benefit to learning new Tactics for (and the inherent patterns behind) the Verbal section. The Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is - and your ability to spot the patterns (in the prompt AND in the answer choices) - even when you're a bit tired - can make a big difference in your overall score.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
1st attempt 670 (q50, v30) - disappointed [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi everyone,

I took the GMAT (2nd attempt) on wednesday and scored 750 (q50,v41). I would like to thank you all who commented on february and gave me support.

If anyone is interested, I did not do anything much different this time. I just did again all OG exercises, focused on those fields that I felt I needed to improve and be relaxed the day before. I slept like 10 hours, which I guess helped me attain this score. Also, for non native speakers like me, being able to do the verbal before having done AWA and IR can make a difference. Being able to choose the order of the parts has been key, in my opinion. Last time, I remember that by the time I was doing verbal I was tired of having been reading english for 4 hours (its a bit exhausting to be reading 4 hours at 100% concentration in a foreign language, no matter how well you speak it, at least in my case)

I would like to encourage all those who scored below their mocs to retake the test, sometimes, its just a matter of luck or of not being tired.

Thank you everyone again.

EDIT: This time, the day before I did nothing related to GMAT. Thats been the most helpful tip I took from you guys
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
underwood28 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I took the GMAT (2nd attempt) on wednesday and scored 750 (q50,v41). I would like to thank you all who commented on february and gave me support.

If anyone is interested, I did not do anything much different this time. I just did again all OG exercises, focused on those fields that I felt I needed to improve and be relaxed the day before. I slept like 10 hours, which I guess helped me attain this score. Also, for non native speakers like me, being able to do the verbal before having done AWA and IR can make a difference. Being able to choose the order of the parts has been key, in my opinion. Last time, I remember that by the time I was doing verbal I was tired of having been reading english for 4 hours (its a bit exhausting to be reading 4 hours at 100% concentration in a foreign language, no matter how well you speak it, at least in my case)

I would like to encourage all those who scored below their mocs to retake the test, sometimes, its just a matter of luck or of not being tired.

EDIT: This time, the day before I did nothing related to GMAT. Thats been the most helpful tip I took from you guys

Congratulations on this brilliant score. Hard work paid off. I really lack on the determination and discipline part. How did you keep up the studies since Feb till now?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HKD1710 wrote:
underwood28 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Congratulations on this brilliant score. Hard work paid off. I really lack on the determination and discipline part. How did you keep up the studies since Feb till now?

Thank you very much. I stopped after the 670 and started studying again on september. I remembered almost anything so it was easier now. What I started doing was reading a lot in English, because I though that was one of my weakest points (I used to read very slow in English) and I guess it paid off (from 30 to 41 in verbal)

Regarding discipline... What I used to do was doing 37 quant and 41 verbal everyday, going through all the official explanations. It helped me because it was a clear objective. Hope you find your way and wish you the best!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts