Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Desautels '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 690 Q43 V41
GPA: 2.3
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Ask about McGill MBA Admissions [#permalink]
Hello Anna ! No specific query at this stage. Just wanted to say Hi ! Siddharth Here.
Nice to see McGills team present.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Siddharth ! Urnamaster13
Thank you for saying hello! We have been away from GMAT Club for a bit but we are ready to start again!
Let me know whenever you have questions & don't hesitate to tag anyone who might have some.
Cheers!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Send PM
mcgillmba wrote:
Hello keats !

Indeed, we used to have a concentration in Innovation and Technology but now our 4th concentration is called Business Analytics. Not to worry, we have not gotten rid of our Technology and Innovation courses! They were simply moved under other concentrations. A good example of that is the course called "Strategy and Innovation", which can be found under the Global Strategy & Leadership concentration.
Our program is constantly innovating and as you know, big data is becoming more and more essential in all aspects of business and this is why we have decided to reshift our attention towards it.
This being said, what is the most interesting about our program is that although we recommend students to take 1 or 2 main concentrations, students are not confined to a pre-defined path and have the opportunity to take classes from any of the 4 concentrations. All of our students are different with a variety of career goals, so we understand the need for a more personalized approach. I hope this answers your question! Please contact us again if you have more :)

Thanks mcgillmba This definitely helps. Infact, I loved when I researched about Global Strategy and Leadership concentration at McGill. It has all the ingredients I am looking forward to. So I went ahead with that :-D Also, this sounds interesting that you've a chance to personalize the program. So, I really like the flexibility in the curriculum.

I also learned about the fact that the application processing at McGill is rolling. So, how much time does one have to wait for from the application completion (recommendation submission, TOEFL and GMAT score fulfillment, essays, and application form) to invite for an interview ?

Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi again keats !
The admission process may take about 4-6 weeks to be completed. Once you have uploaded all of your documents, our team reviews them to make sure they are indeed complete. Sometimes, we have to ask you to replace a reference or to send us additional documents so it may take some time but we are trying to process everything as soon as possible! A member of our team should be in touch with you shortly after you upload all documents, so don't hesitate to reach out to them as well :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mcgillmba wrote:
Hi again keats !
The admission process may take about 4-6 weeks to be completed. Once you have uploaded all of your documents, our team reviews them to make sure they are indeed complete. Sometimes, we have to ask you to replace a reference or to send us additional documents so it may take some time but we are trying to process everything as soon as possible! A member of our team should be in touch with you shortly after you upload all documents, so don't hesitate to reach out to them as well :)

Yes, I have received an e mail confirmation (from a program coordinator "Pina") saying that all your documents are in place and we have forwarded your application for a preliminary review. All candidates who meet our minimum requirements will be contacted for an interview within the next few weeks.

Although I wrote back, I didn't get any response. I am hoping that I hear something soon :) Thanks a lot for your help mcgillmba
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hello. I wanted to know do you guys provide specialization in Supply Chain?
Send PM
Expert Reply
msaad wrote:
hello. I wanted to know do you guys provide specialization in Supply Chain?

Hello Saad,
Thank you for your query. While we do not offer a specific specialization in Supply Chain, we believe the MBA to be the perfect platform to learn skills that are relevant to each field. I encourage you to take a look at our curriculum and see some of the courses that might spark your interest at this link:
https://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/program ... /academics

I also encourage you to read our blog for an authentic and personal perspective from the current students and alumni:
https://desautels.mcgill.ca/mba/blog/

I hope it helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi mcgillmba, I hope you are doing great! I have a question that perhaps you are able to help me with.

What is the percentage of the students that receive an scholarship for the McGill MBA and what is the average amount of scholarship that those students receive?

Thanks in advance,
FM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Hi All,

I am Manu Srivastava and I'm from Mumbai. I am thinking to apply in Mcgill MBA program and have few queries with regards to thew same.. Request if you could help.
1) How is the job prospect in Montreal for Indians?
2) I have heard that if you don't know French then its not easy to get jobs in Quebec

Thanks a ton
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fermar84 wrote:
Hi mcgillmba, I hope you are doing great! I have a question that perhaps you are able to help me with.

What is the percentage of the students that receive an scholarship for the McGill MBA and what is the average amount of scholarship that those students receive?

Thanks in advance,
FM

Our apologies for the delay in response! We just returned from recruitment trips and now are back to the office! :grin:
The percentage of scholarships varies depending on the number of qualified candidates. Last year, we selected a smaller class but for which most candidates had scholarships, two years ago it was about 80% of candidates. The average amount would not be very helpful since it could be misleading. We give scholarships based on merit, on the same criteria as admissions: GPA, GMAT/GRE, work experience quality, extra-curricular, interview performance, letters of recommendation. I hope it helps!
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Manu86 wrote:
Hi All,

I am Manu Srivastava and I'm from Mumbai. I am thinking to apply in Mcgill MBA program and have few queries with regards to thew same.. Request if you could help.
2) I have heard that if you don't know French then its not easy to get jobs in Quebec

Thanks a ton

Hi Manu !
I was in Mumbai not so long ago, such an interesting city ! :-)
Here are the answers to your questions:

I am not sure I can qualify / quantify it "for Indians" specifically, but about 50% of our candidates remain in Montreal post graduation, in various industries such as Finance, Consulting, Pharmaceuticals, Technology, Aerospace, etc. 31% of our candidates find positions in Toronto, where a large part of our network is located and about 10% of our candidates go to the rest of Canada, including Vancouver, Ottawa, etc. What that means is that the McGill brand does not confine you to the one location of Montreal but also opens doors all over the country. Therefore, should you wish to have a great student experience in Montreal and then avoid all matters of French, you can go pretty much anywhere you want and we are confident there will be amazing opportunities. One thing you should know about the employers is that no matter their location, none of them would recruit specifically at only one school. They are looking for top candidates from all the top-tier schools and our students tend to stand out very much not only because of our brand but also because of their many extra-curricular involvements and their diversity.

About the French language: Montreal is a city located in the Province of Quebec, which is quite proud of its culture and language. Therefore it is true that speaking French would open additional doors, depending on the position that you are interested in. For example, if you wanted to do advertising in Quebec and you wish to address your campaign to the majority of the population, you would need to be bilingual, right? However, there are many positions in other sectors where French is not required and your main skills will be what secures you a position. After all, a good narrative, drive and networking are the main factors when looking for positions in the North American context. So while it is true that speaking French would open many additional doors, we have seen many international students find amazing positions both in Montreal and Toronto without knowing any French, even at famously French companies (ex: L'Oreal, Bank of Montreal).
For international students who have never studied French, our MBA program offers FREE beginner French classes in the summer prior to starting the MBA and we also have a French club that offers subsidized classes throughout the year to keep brushing up your skills. Now, let's be realistic - you may not be proficient at a professional level by the time you finish, but these new skills will surely come in handy when it comes to understanding the Montreal context, its culture and even connecting with various professionals. :-D
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
mcgillmba wrote:
Manu86 wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks....dats really a lot of info from you mate.... really appreciate your gesture and help towards resolving my queries.

Thanks a ton

Hi Manu !
I was in Mumbai not so long ago, such an interesting city ! :-)

I am not sure I can qualify / quantify it "for Indians" specifically, but about 50% of our candidates remain in Montreal post graduation, in various industries such as Finance, Consulting, Pharmaceuticals, Technology, Aerospace, etc. 31% of our candidates find positions in Toronto, where a large part of our network is located and about 10% of our candidates go to the rest of Canada, including Vancouver, Ottawa, etc. What that means is that the McGill brand does not confine you to the one location of Montreal but also opens doors all over the country. Therefore, should you wish to have a great student experience in Montreal and then avoid all matters of French, you can go pretty much anywhere you want and we are confident there will be amazing opportunities. One thing you should know about the employers is that no matter their location, none of them would recruit specifically at only one school. They are looking for top candidates from all the top-tier schools and our students tend to stand out very much not only because of our brand but also because of their many extra-curricular involvements and their diversity.

About the French language: Montreal is a city located in the Province of Quebec, which is quite proud of its culture and language. Therefore it is true that speaking French would open additional doors, depending on the position that you are interested in. For example, if you wanted to do advertising in Quebec and you wish to address your campaign to the majority of the population, you would need to be bilingual, right? However, there are many positions in other sectors where French is not required and your main skills will be what secures you a position. After all, a good narrative, drive and networking are the main factors when looking for positions in the North American context. So while it is true that speaking French would open many additional doors, we have seen many international students find amazing positions both in Montreal and Toronto without knowing any French, even at famously French companies (ex: L'Oreal, Bank of Montreal).
For international students who have never studied French, our MBA program offers FREE beginner French classes in the summer prior to starting the MBA and we also have a French club that offers subsidized classes throughout the year to keep brushing up your skills. Now, let's be realistic - you may not be proficient at a professional level by the time you finish, but these new skills will surely come in handy when it comes to understanding the Montreal context, its culture and even connecting with various professionals. :-D
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Boston U '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
mcgillmba wrote:
Hello everyone!
This is Anna from the McGill MBA Recruitment Team! :-D
We are now back on GMAT Club and available to answer any general questions that you may have.

:!: For more personalized questions, please send an email to : mcgillmba.mgmt@mcgill.ca

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Hey Anna,

I am Aayushi Kapadia, a resident of Surat, India. I am contemplating applying to your esteemed university for Full Time MBA program beginning Fall 2018.

I completed my bachelor's degree in economics from NMIMS (NAAC A) in 2016 after which I joined Tata Capital (NBFC) as a Product Manager. After resigning from Tata Capital in July 2017, I joined Admyrin Ecommerce Services as a Senior Marketing Manager. Concurrently, I am pursuing an external pg diploma in financial management from Mumbai University (NAAC A).

In total I will have 2 years work experience by the time I begin my MBA.

I scored 720 (v-38 q-50) in GMAT while I have appeared for TOEFL on the 9th of December.

In this regard, I would request you to answer few of my queries which will help me apply to your university.

1. Since I have completed 3 years bachelor’s degree from NMIMS, am I eligible for an MBA. In case this is not acceptable, please note, I am currently pursuing an external PG diploma.
2. What is the average work experience required for application to the MBA program? Does the university encourage students with two year work experience to apply?
3. Are there scholarship opportunities for International students applying in the second round?

Please let me know if you have any other suggestion which could help me enhance my case. Should you need, I can send you my resume.

Regards

Aayushi Kapadia
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 510 Q28 V32
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.02
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
mcgillmba wrote:
Hello everyone!
We are now back on GMAT Club and available to answer any general questions that you may have.

:!: For more personalized questions, please send an email to : mcgillmba.mgmt@mcgill.ca

Hey Anna,
I am interested in applying to McGill for its 2-year MBA program that begins in the Fall term. I want to meet the R2 deadline so I was wondering if it would be possible for you to please look at my profile below and tell me, based on your experience and class averages, whether my profile is competitive enough for consideration into the aforementioned MBA program.

Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Science-Management-Accounting and Finance from the Alliance Manchester Business School; Graduated in 2015 with a GPA of about 3.1 (although I am not sure if I have converted the UK grades to the Canadian equivalent grades with precision).

I have also passed all of the Level 1 Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland exams, although I do not intend to pursue that further.

GMAT: 690 (Q48 V35 IR7). I am still waiting on the Official Score Report that would have my AWA score.

Work ex.: Would be about 3 years until the commencement of the MBA program; 14 months in the Financial Services (one of the Big-4) in Scotland and the rest of the work ex (till present) in a media and marketing solutions company in New Delhi (India) as an Assistant Business Development Manager.

I also have some social work experience, both in the UK and in India.

Career Goals: Want to move into Brand Management in the short-term.

IELTS/TOEFL: Not necessary due to my undergraduate education in the UK.

Language Skills: Fluency in English and Hindi, and currently learning French.
Send PM
Expert Reply
aayushik1995 wrote:
mcgillmba wrote:
Hello everyone!

Hey Anna,

I am Aayushi Kapadia, a resident of Surat, India. I am contemplating applying to your esteemed university for Full Time MBA program beginning Fall 2018.

I completed my bachelor's degree in economics from NMIMS (NAAC A) in 2016 after which I joined Tata Capital (NBFC) as a Product Manager. After resigning from Tata Capital in July 2017, I joined Admyrin Ecommerce Services as a Senior Marketing Manager. Concurrently, I am pursuing an external pg diploma in financial management from Mumbai University (NAAC A).

In total I will have 2 years work experience by the time I begin my MBA.

I scored 720 (v-38 q-50) in GMAT while I have appeared for TOEFL on the 9th of December.

In this regard, I would request you to answer few of my queries which will help me apply to your university.

1. Since I have completed 3 years bachelor’s degree from NMIMS, am I eligible for an MBA. In case this is not acceptable, please note, I am currently pursuing an external PG diploma.
2. What is the average work experience required for application to the MBA program? Does the university encourage students with two year work experience to apply?
3. Are there scholarship opportunities for International students applying in the second round?

Please let me know if you have any other suggestion which could help me enhance my case. Should you need, I can send you my resume.

Regards

Aayushi Kapadia

Dear Aayushi,

Greetings from the McGill MBA recruitment team and Happy New Year!
Apologies for the delay in response, we have just returned to the office from the break. :-)

We accept 3-year degrees from University that are NAAC accredited with a A rating. Please make sure that it is indeed the University that is accredited by the NAAC and not just the individual college.(It can be a bit confusing but for example, Delhi University is not NAAC accredited but some of the colleges under the umbrella of Delhi University might be). Should your University not be fully accredited, the post-graduate diploma will compensate for the 4th year of undergraduate education. Please note that online degrees may not be accepted.

While the minimum work experience is 2 years, we have an average of 5 years of work experience, which means we have candidates usually ranging between 2 to 9 years.
We have accepted candidates with 2 years but depending on the field of your interest, you need to demonstrate that your work experience is at the level that would be expected by the companies for hiring. The best way to determine that is to look up various job search engines and see the qualifications that are desired. This is the best way to ensure you can graduate and get a position close to your expectations. Often, candidates seem to believe that the ideal spot is between 4-5 years, but in our experience we have see that every candidate's experience can be qualified differently. Overall, the quality of your work experience is more important than its quantity.

There are scholarship opportunities for candidates at all rounds but they are based on merit, on the same criteria as for admission. I recommend you take a look at our average scores and try to exceed them. There are also quite some weight put on essays, interview results, extra-curriculars and quality of work experience.

Your GMAT score seems quite competitive and your work experience is interesting but it is difficult to assess your overall competitiveness at a glance.
I would recommend you to try applying and see how the review goes.

I hope it helps! Good luck with the process!

Anna
Send PM
Expert Reply
obiwankanobi wrote:
mcgillmba wrote:
Hello everyone!

Hey Anna,
I am interested in applying to McGill for its 2-year MBA program that begins in the Fall term. I want to meet the R2 deadline so I was wondering if it would be possible for you to please look at my profile below and tell me, based on your experience and class averages, whether my profile is competitive enough for consideration into the aforementioned MBA program.

Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Science-Management-Accounting and Finance from the Alliance Manchester Business School; Graduated in 2015 with a GPA of about 3.1 (although I am not sure if I have converted the UK grades to the Canadian equivalent grades with precision).

I have also passed all of the Level 1 Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland exams, although I do not intend to pursue that further.

GMAT: 690 (Q48 V35 IR7). I am still waiting on the Official Score Report that would have my AWA score.

Work ex.: Would be about 3 years until the commencement of the MBA program; 14 months in the Financial Services (one of the Big-4) in Scotland and the rest of the work ex (till present) in a media and marketing solutions company in New Delhi (India) as an Assistant Business Development Manager.

I also have some social work experience, both in the UK and in India.

Career Goals: Want to move into Brand Management in the short-term.

IELTS/TOEFL: Not necessary due to my undergraduate education in the UK.

Language Skills: Fluency in English and Hindi, and currently learning French.

Master Kenobi, Greetings from Montreal!
Your overall profile seems quite interesting and seems competitive, but the application depends not only on you but also on the pool of applicants that you compete with. It is therefore difficult to make a full pre-assessment. At a glance, you do meet our minimum requirements and I would encourage you to apply, but your application depends also on your GPA conversion, your letters of reference, your scores in comparison to other candidates and your interview results when applicable.
I invite you to schedule a phone call with me in the next few weeks to discuss your career goals and international experience further : keum.brochet@mcgill.ca

I look forward to hearing from you again!

May the Force be with you!

Anna
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello everyone!
This is Anna from the McGill MBA recruitment team.
Just a quick message to apologize as I have been made aware that many of you are currently waiting for R2 responses. We are receiving a record number of applications from all over the world (maybe a result of MBA being named #1 MBA in Canada by FT?) and so it has considerably delayed our review process, now estimated to 6 weeks after confirmation that all documents are complete. As you may already know, we only select a top group of 70-90 students every year, which makes the decision making process particularly challenging, requiring us to run thorough review of each file and in comparison with similar profiles. We sincerely apologize for the wait and are thankful of your interest in our program. Should you have any deadlines requiring a quicker processing, or any question at all, please feel free to reach out to me directly at keum.brochet@mcgill.ca.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts