Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Same. Wish I knew what I did wrong on my app, besides not apply in round 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
mgo113 wrote:
Same. Wish I knew what I did wrong on my app, besides not apply in round 1

You can always ask for feedback
Intern
Intern
Status:No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Waitlist for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Vanmotan wrote:
Waitlist for me.

You're still in race bud, don't lose hope. I am on campus visits and pretty much everyone i talked to about wait-listed students be it current first year or second year students or admissions people. Word of advice is be persistent but don't be repetitive. If you can show you've a better job offer but you're willing to forego that opportunity, it gives you great leverage.

Things you can do to improve your situation :
1. Get a better job offer (senior role or 10-15K raise)
2. Retake GMAT and increase score even more
3. If you receive offer from other school, see if you can convince them for scholarship and use that as leverage.
Intern
Intern
Status:No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
mbsingh wrote:
Vanmotan wrote:
Waitlist for me.

You're still in race bud, don't lose hope. I am on campus visits and pretty much everyone i talked to about wait-listed students be it current first year or second year students or admissions people. Word of advice is be persistent but don't be repetitive. If you can show you've a better job offer but you're willing to forego that opportunity, it gives you great leverage.

3. If you receive offer from other school, see if you can convince them for scholarship and use that as leverage.

Thanks for advice, man.
Actually, I received a new job offer with the responsibility of people management.
I will restart my GMAT preparation just to break the 700+ barrier. It is better to try than not.
Time is limited I hope one month will be sufficient.

Best of luck to everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Vanmotan wrote:
mbsingh wrote:
Vanmotan wrote:
Waitlist for me.

Thanks for advice, man.
Actually, I received a new job offer with the responsibility of people management.
I will restart my GMAT preparation just to break the 700+ barrier. It is better to try than not.
Time is limited I hope one month will be sufficient.

Best of luck to everyone!

There you go. Use the job offer as leverage regardless if you take it or not. And prep for GMAT like your life depends on it and then in a month or when next round's results start coming out send another email with GMAT update.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Wal-Mart Talks Sustainability & the Supply Chain at Tuck BSC

By Annabel de Braganca T’18

The Tuck Business and Society Conference (BSC) this year asked attendees to consider what “Business Not As Usual” means. One of the most intriguing events of the day for me, a sometimes-baffled, ever-hopeful student of business and society at Tuck, was a revealing Q&A with retail giant Wal-Mart, represented at the conference by head of U.S. Pricing Strategy, Tim Robinson and head of Stakeholder Relationships, Katherine Neebe. 

Wal-Mart is the largest retailer by revenue ($480 Billion) and employs a staggering 2.2 million people around the world. It is not immediately recognized or praised for its success in sustainability and, perhaps due to ignoring important conservation issues in its past and a responsibility to keep its shareholder-base happy, keeps a low profile.

But Wal-Mart has been making changes: galvanized into action after its home region and original core-customer base in the Gulf was devastatingly impacted by Katrina in 2009, Wal-Mart has decided on permanent action, targeting zero waste in the coming decades, incentivizing executives and managers to implement sustainable practices and working—with the lofty goal of doing so with the buy-in of its mammoth supply chain.

Wal-Mart’s Sustainability Index helps it identify pieces of the chain that need work. Meanwhile, it uses the power of incentives to compel executives and managers to implement new sustainable practices.

Herein lies an obvious dilemma: how to motivate comfortable, long-term players in its supply chain to adopt new practices?

Wal-Mart refrains from developing new “organic” products, avowing that shelf-space for two varieties of the same brand product (regular and organic) is inefficient, and that it lacks the customer-base that would appreciate the effort. However, its power as a monopsonist gives the company leeway to compel suppliers to implement more sustainable measures to develop their regular product, thereby eliminating the risk the customers will be turned off by healthy facsimiles of the products they love.

Central to Wal-Mart’s sustainability effort is the Midwest Roe-Crop collaborative with the ambitious goal of eliminating 9 million metric tons in greenhouse gases by working with partner farmers over a geographic spread of 23 million acres.

Wal-Mart and its farmers admittedly have something in common: a (formerly) long-standing resistance to change. So now that the retailer is turning the dial, how can it reach the very beginning of the supply chain? In terms Wal-Mart can spell out clearly: better profits. The biggest culprit of environmental harm on farms is pricey fertilizers which run off farms and contribute to barren “dead zones.” These hurt the farmer, the product, and the environment.

Of course, another looming beast is the major waste Wal-Mart generates every year, which amounts to $2.6 trillion in annual loss. Its ambition is to become a zero-waste firm in the coming decades, bringing its supply chain with it.

Change takes time when you are a $480 billion firm, but as sustainable practices become more and more critical to firm success, Wal-Mart has lofty and important goals to achieve. And for all MBAs hoping to make an impact in the future, the looming lesson of Wal-Mart remains: how to improve a firm’s sustainably without losing share-holder value.

The 15th annual Business & Society Conference, “Business Not as Usual,” was held February 23-24. The Tuck Center for Business, Government & Society supports the annual student-led conference which brings together leaders from a wide range of fields to discuss the important role that business leaders can play in creating a more sustainable world. This year’s conference focused on how the business community can effect change in the social sphere. Learn more about the Center for Business, Government & Society.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Any updates folks ?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Services: Exploration & Other Resources

There’s a very good chance that you’re pursuing an MBA to change jobs—sometimes pretty drastically. Though you might guess some of the services provided by a school’s career office, we imagine there are others that aren’t so obvious. Furthermore, it’s likely that each program you’re considering operates a bit differently. For example, the team in Tuck’s Career Development Office (CDO) prides itself on offering personalized and hands-on support. Additionally, each Career Coach has industry experience within the industries in which they're advising. 

In the coming weeks, we’ll outline the distinct services offered by Tuck's CDO and what they entail. Stay tuned!

Career Exploration

• Events

• Career Insights and Exploration trips
    • Excercises to learn about career fit
    • Career exploration sessions
  • Resources
    • Original content to learn about specific industries
    • Employment statistics and lists by industry
  • Coaching
    • Self-assessment and debriefing of results with a CDO coach
    • CDO coach meeting(s) to discuss industry and fit

Other CDO Recommended Resources

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Services: On- and Off-Campus Recruiting

Last week, we talked about the career exploration process at Tuck. This week, job opportunities and recruiting! You've seen the stats, you recognize the companies, but how does this whole thing work? Well, it varies. Some industries have been recruiting MBAs forever and have fairly structured processes, like consulting, financial services, and consumer goods/brand management. These companies are likely to recruit on campus. Other industries might not focus their hiring on the MBA pipeline, or are smaller and are looking to hire fewer people (i.e. start-ups). This category lends itself to off-campus recruiting.

Recruiting services offered by the Career Development Office (CDO):

On-Campus Recruiting

• Offered at Certain Times

• CDO-sourced job opportunities
    • Postings of job opportunities
    • Facilitated events to get to know companies
    • Workshop on how to apply and bid through the CDO system
    • Bidding for interview slots*
  • As Requested
    • Materials and data on current and historical on-campus interviews
    • Virtual interviews when requested by student or company
    • Scheduling and rescheduling on-campus interviews

Off-Campus Recruiting

• Offered at Certain Times

• CDO-sourced job opportunities
    • Postings of job opportunities
    • Interview forums
    • Activities to connect with people in the Tuck network
  • As Requested
    • Check for opportunities with target list of employers
    • Access to other business schools’ job boards
    • Funding programs to facilitate internships in specific fields

*When recruiters come to campus, they interview people from a “closed list” and an “open list.” They get to choose who makes the closed list based on a resume book. You, as a student, will have a chance to get on the open list with a winning “bid.” Every Tuck student is allotted the same number of points in order to bid for interviews with the companies of their choosing. This is a fantastic opportunity for career switchers, whose resume itself might seem less competitive. You'll hear about this in more detail as a student!

Up next: Networking and Application Materials 
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Five Questions with John Dorffeld T’10 of Chevron

By Shawn Curley T’17

John Dorffeld T’10 is a commercial operations representative at Chevron, Inc. in the MCBU Delaware Basin. John was kind enough to answer five of our questions.

How did Tuck prepare you for a career in energy?

Tuck prepared me for my energy career in two main areas:

First by fostering a collaborative working environment with diverse groups of high-performing individuals who make decisions and achieve results. The Tuck environment and approach to learning closely mirrors the environment at Chevron—cross-functional work teams operating in a decentralized corporate structure allowing business units and projects to compete for capital. As a truly global business, Chevron provided me opportunities to contribute in this manner across the globe, including two years living in Australia and the UK with teammates from all over the world.

Second, Tuck’s curriculum—including coursework on Decision Science, both foundation and elective, and Negotiations—prepared me to be able to quickly contribute to the business. Chevron is a keen employer of decision science and probabilistic analysis when valuing everything from multibillion dollar projects down to sub-million dollar deals—expertise and fluency in the language of decision science is crucial. Negotiations is both art and science. Within my current role supporting the prolific Delaware Basin unconventional oil and natural gas play in West Texas and East New Mexico, I have concurrent negotiations of anywhere from three to eight contracts at one time with daily counterparty engagement at a variety of complex circumstances and leverage positions. The negotiations training provided at Tuck was invaluable to begin developing my own personal style and methods.

What have been some of your favorite aspects of the Business and Commercial MBA program at Chevron?

The Chevron Business and Commercial MBA program provided me a truly unique experience. As a new hire transitioning careers from the U.S. Army, I wanted a development program that delivered a variety of functional experiences and international geographic opportunities. The Chevron program met these expectations and more. I rotated through four different job functions in three locations, commencing in Houston with relocation to Aberdeen, UK, and on to Perth, Australia (with two rotations in Perth). The rotations lasted between six and nine months, during which I was exposed to deepwater oil developments, probabilistic economic modeling on a multibillion dollar major capital project, and liquefied natural gas sales to international customers.

Where do you see oil and gas commodities pricing going?

I think the general consensus in the industry is that we reached the bottom of this particular price cycle and we are now on a gentle recovery in oil prices. The expectation in oil is flat to moderate price growth at a modest pace over the next few years. No one is betting on the rapid return to $100+ oil, and companies like Chevron are making their investments and capital allocations accordingly. 

My understanding of gas prices in the U.S. is they are fairly low volatility, so I would speculate what you see is what you are going to get for some time. International gas prices are generally higher than the U.S., but have different costs of production due to supply and demand dynamics as well as any associated transportation costs (Liquefied Natural Gas by tanker in Asia and Russian pipeline gas in Europe)—so a similar low volatility scenario (excepting seasonality) is expected.

Bottom line for Chevron is we concentrate on maximizing production that provides industry leading returns—this translates into consistent discipline to lower capex and opex, as well as a relentless pursuit of operational excellence and production efficiencies. Another key progress area is the strides taken in technology to unlock previous undevelopable resources and bring them to market. To that end Chevron operates a small internal venture capital type organization (Chevron Tech Ventures) that assesses emerging technologies and invests in those where they believe there is potential.

What expectations do the oil and gas industry have from a Trump presidency?

Chevron is a truly global company, with assets and employees across the world and experience working with all types of governments. Like any administration in the U.S., I would expect both benefits and challenges based on policy and regulation adjustments. Chevron will continue to focus on what the company does best—developing the energy that enables human progress.

What are the most exciting things happening at Chevron and in the industry in general?

The oil and gas industry just exited (hopefully) a bearish commodity market. As with any commodity-based industry, this compelled a period of opex and capex reduction as well as many reductions in employment opportunities. Now that I feel the “bounce” has occurred, I am excited to see a modest reinvigoration of hiring (including recruiting for the Chevron Business and Commercial MBA program). Additionally, I am able to work in the Chevron focus area of the Permian Basin. Once thought to be a tired asset base, it is now the next frontier of oil and gas production and the investment target for generous allocations of capital by Chevron and other companies. It’s a good time to enter the oil and gas industry, and a great time to be on board with Chevron.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats to all admits again! Here is Jan round admission summary based on stats submitted on Decision Tracker.
  • Avg GMAT score and GMAT range of admits is 732 (680 - 760) whereas that of overall R2 application pool is 724 (640 - 770).
  • Two applicants - one from Afganistan and other from Mexico - admitted with lowest GMAT score of 680.
  • 13 of 108 applicants have been admitted in January round, with acceptance rate of 12%.
  • Among 13 admits, 3 are from US, 2 China, 1 from Kyrgyzstan, Peru, Norway, Mexico, Argentina, Afganistan, and Canada each, and 1 applicant did not disclose his/her location.

Good luck to all who are on the waitlist. We look forward to admits/waitlists joining us in their respective threads.
Admitted Applicants https://gmatclub.com/forum/tuck-dartmou ... 30788.html
Waitlisted Applicants https://gmatclub.com/forum/tuck-dartmou ... 30789.html

Attachment:
Tuck Jan Round.png
Tuck Jan Round.png [ 177.61 KiB | Viewed 3612 times ]
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Services: Networking and Application Prep

Welcome to Week 3 in our series on the services offered by Tuck’s Career Development Office (CDO). Here in admissions, we're happy to talk about careers and our wonderful colleagues in the CDO, but you can also read many blog posts directly from them. Next week, we'll wrap up the series by talking about interview prep and offer negotiation. 

Networking

Job search preparation: Classes and original content to learn about networking skills

• Events
    • Events to facilitate networking
  • Coaching
    • How to approach a targeted search
    • Brainstorming specific resources tailored to your search
    • Advice on reaching out to potential connections
    • In-person review of networking-related communication
    • Preparations for networking opportunities

Application Materials

Job search preparation: Classes and original content to learn about writing cover letters and résumé

• Events
    • CDO-led resume and/or cover letter reviews
  • Resources
    • Resume and cover letter examples and guides
  • Coaching
    • Cover email advice and review
    • Resume review to meet generally accepted resume standards
    • Insight into customizing resume for specific job
    • Advice on creating cover letter templates by role
    • In-person cover letter review for specific job

If you missed the previous posts, have no fear. Here’s what we’ve covered so far:

Week 1: Career Exploration & Other Resources

Week 2: On- and Off-Campus Recruiting
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
How you folks doing ? April round deadline are fast approaching, make sure to submit in time. You can always post here for any questions or concerns
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Explore the Student Experience at Tuck

Our students arrive at Tuck with professional experience and career aspirations as diverse as they are. We understand your goals and partner with you as you embark on the path to achieving them.

Discover the Tuck experience through the people who know it best: our students.

Search by Career Industry

Start at the landing page to browse the entire library of student pathways or select a career/industry category to narrow your search.

Student Stories and Interviews

Get to know MBA and dual-degree candidates from a wide range of backgrounds and discover how they shaped their unique Tuck experience through their personal stories and interviews.

Shaping the Tuck Experience

Follow each unique pathway to see where our students come from, how they create lasting impact at Tuck, and where they go from here.

Can’t find the story you’re looking for? Tell us about yourself and let us match you with someone with a similar profile.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Services: Interview Prep & Offer Negotiation

Welcome to the fourth and final week of our Career Services series! For content from weeks 1-3, please scroll to the bottom. In addition to everything the Career Development Office offers, your classmates and second-year students will also be huge resources. Reach out to Career Club leadership with questions about specific industries. Tuck embodies a truly personal, connected, and collaborative culture and your career search is no exception. 

Interview Preparation

Job search preparation: Classes and original content to learn about interview preparation

• Events
    • Facilitated study-group mock interview session
    • Interview-prep classes
  • Resources
    • Reading list to improve preparedness for specific industries
    • Previous interview questions for specific companies
  • Coaching
    • Mock interviews (behavioral and case)
    • How to highlight skills needed for specific role or company
    • Mock interview recording and debrief
    • Discuss potential dynamics of an upcoming interview

Offer Negotiation

Job search preparation: Classes and original content to learn about offer negotiation skills

• Resources
    • Salary statistics by role, geography, industry, etc.
  • Coaching
    • How to approach an offer negotiation
    • Decisions involving multiple offers
    • How to extend an offer deadline or expedite an interview process
    • How to turn down an offer or interview invitation

In case you missed our previous posts, here's what we've covered so far:

Week 1: Career Exploration & Other Resources

Week 2: On- and Off-Campus Recruiting

Week 3: Networking and Application Prep 

Questions? Ideas for other Tuck 360 posts? Please feel free to post them in the comment section! Also, make sure to stay tuned for online webinars and Q&As that feature Tuck's Career Development Office
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Patagonia Director Talks the Company’s Mission-Based Strategy

By Carole Gaudet

Vincent Stanley is one of Patagonia’s founding employees and its long-time chief storyteller. He delivered the closing keynote address at this year’s Business & Society Conference: “Business NOT As Usual.” In his address, Stanley discusses Patagonia’s gradual journey toward responsibility—and what the company now views as its most important challenges in the decades to come. He also speaks from his own experience about what makes a working life meaningful, over the long haul, in a time of social and environmental crisis. 

Stanley is co-author with Yvon Chouinard of The Responsible Company, and has been with Patagonia on and off since the company’s beginning in 1973, for many of those years in key executive roles as head of sales or marketing. He helped develop the Footprint Chronicles, the company’s interactive website that outlines the social and environmental impact of its products; the Common Threads Initiative; and Patagonia Books.

Listen to the full keynote address below:

Center for Business, Government & Society is focused on meeting the evolving complexities facing business leaders in today’s global economy. In the context of globalization and technological advancement, business success increasingly depends on reconciling the interests of its immediate stakeholders with the broader, deeply intertwined interests of both governments and society. Business leaders adept at navigating these many interests will be better equipped and empowered to help build a more sustainable global economy.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts