Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi all.
I really need some help.

I graduated in chemical engineering (Non IIT) tier 1.5 engineering college. 5 years of work ex in oil and gas, worked on projects in Taiwan and USA with some good brand names in oil and gas technology. Completed three levels of CFA consecutive years, first attempt while working as an engineer.
Did a semi tech, retail f and b startup for 1.5 years , full time.
Raised funding from bank on the basis of financial model and investor thingy was about to convert but it didn't happen. Startup failed and can't find a job post startup.
MBA is the only line of defence that I have.
Expected GMAT: 720
Would my profile be worth a consideration in top b schools like INSEAD.
P.S: I am from India.

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi all.
I really need some help.

I graduated in chemical engineering (Non IIT) tier 1.5 engineering college. 5 years of work ex in oil and gas, worked on projects in Taiwan and USA with some good brand names in oil and gas technology. Completed three levels of CFA consecutive years, first attempt while working as an engineer.
Raised funding from bank on the basis of financial model and investor thingy was about to convert but it didn't happen. Startup failed and can't find a job post startup.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Hi Mudit,
I have a similar profile and just applied to Insead.
only difference is that I have a masters from a canadian uni and all my work exp is in usa,canada, but u have cfa! and a failed startup! ( its a good thing)
The problem here is not if ur profile is a fit, u have to apply for the right reasons and have clear goals post MBA,
not because it's a line of defense against unemployment
If you establish clear goals, I'm sure u have a competitive profile to get in
All the best!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Hi Mudit

If you can get your target GMAT score of 720 you should certainly be in contention with a decent application.
- Oil and gas experience is great but at the moment the number of oil and gas applicants is quite high. The Taiwan and US experience definitely helps.
- One of the things to look at closely for your app is how you are going to bring your disparate experience - oil and gas, CFA, and f and b together. What are the post-MBA goals you are looking at?
- Applying from a position in which you don't have a job and are looking at a top school may be challenging and puts needless pressure on your app. In case you are applying to the 18J intake at INSEAD (seems so given that you have not taken the GMAT yet), use the time you have before the fall apps begin to maybe find a role. Easier said than done, but it could be a significant boost to your app on just that one count.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
arpitsrivastava wrote:
Your profile sounds good! go for it:)

Can you guys also review my profile for INSEAD MBA ? Details below:

Age 29, Indian male
7+ years of M&A and Private Equity experience (6 years in Singapore)
1 year - UBS, India (Analyst)
4 years - ANZ Bank Singapore (Associate Director)
2+ years - JPMorgan Private Equity (current job), Singapore (Associate)

Engineering from top 10 Indian engineering school. Top 15% of the class.
CFA June 2017 level 3 candidate.

GMAT Score Aug 2012 - 680 (75 percentile Verbal, 77 percentile Quant)

Indian national, Singapore Permanent Resident. Have a Singaporean family (wife and daughter). Travelled and worked on deals across Asia Pacific.

I think you have an amazing profile. If you can retake the GMAT and go 700+ it will give your profile a great boost.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Hi Mudit

If you can get your target GMAT score of 720 you should certainly be in contention with a decent application.
- Oil and gas experience is great but at the moment the number of oil and gas applicants is quite high. The Taiwan and US experience definitely helps.
- One of the things to look at closely for your app is how you are going to bring your disparate experience - oil and gas, CFA, and f and b together. What are the post-MBA goals you are looking at?
- Applying from a position in which you don't have a job and are looking at a top school may be challenging and puts needless pressure on your app. In case you are applying to the 18J intake at INSEAD (seems so given that you have not taken the GMAT yet), use the time you have before the fall apps begin to maybe find a role. Easier said than done, but it could be a significant boost to your app on just that one count.

Thanks gyanone. Really appreciate your prompt reply. Its really hard to get interview calls right now because of the variation that I have in my profile. I def. Am looking at more of financial due diligence in m&a kind of role post MBA. As u very correctly mentioned, the problem would be to show convergence of the variation that I have in my profile. Nevertheless am still on a lookout. Do you think pursuing the family business for a while ( small scale manufacturing) would add some value instead of a job. Which actually is hard to find for now?

Any reply would be highly appreciated.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
harsha2085 wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Hi Mudit,
I have a similar profile and just applied to Insead.
only difference is that I have a masters from a canadian uni and all my work exp is in usa,canada, but u have cfa! and a failed startup! ( its a good thing)
The problem here is not if ur profile is a fit, u have to apply for the right reasons and have clear goals post MBA,
not because it's a line of defense against unemployment
If you establish clear goals, I'm sure u have a competitive profile to get in
All the best!

Thanks harsha2085,
Really appreciate your reply.
You are absolutely correct that I need a better reason than unemployment to get into a good b school. There is no appreciation for CFA unless you are from a decent b school. Things are pretty different at Canada and states.
Let's hope for the best. :)

Thanks again

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mudit27021988 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hi all.
I really need some help.

Hi Mudit

Thanks gyanone. Really appreciate your prompt reply. Its really hard to get interview calls right now because of the variation that I have in my profile. I def. Am looking at more of financial due diligence in m&a kind of role post MBA. As u very correctly mentioned, the problem would be to show convergence of the variation that I have in my profile. Nevertheless am still on a lookout. Do you think pursuing the family business for a while ( small scale manufacturing) would add some value instead of a job. Which actually is hard to find for now?

Any reply would be highly appreciated.

Hi Mudit

A family business role would be better than not having a full-time job at this moment, but it too would ultimately need to be aligned with what you wish to do, else it might be seen only as a stop-gap rather than a real option you have been pursuing.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,
Can someone evaluate my profile for INSEAD class of 2018- January intake?

Background:
Indian Female
Engineering from one of the top reputed universities in India
GMAT: 730
GPA: 7.3/10 (B.E. in Electronics and Communication)
IT industry- A Vista portfolio MNC into CRM, ERP domain.
3.5+ years of experience(2.5 years as an QA Engineer & 1+ year as a Consultant currently) Have been part of a CRM product as an engineer and currently as the CS Consultant .
International Exposure: Part of cross-functional teams during my entire work duration. My work revolves around working with UK based CRM customers as a Consultant. Also involved in training and assisting offshore CRM teams on technical and strategical product challenges. In-depth knowledge of CRM domain and products; and also good experience in working with both technical and business teams of the product. Have demonstrated remarkable understanding in my limited years of experience.

Extra curricular: Excellent achievements in Writing, Drama, Music, Sports. Have been part of clubs,associations etc. since college days. Working with an NGO for teaching underpriviledged kids.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,

Background:
Indian Female
3.5+ years of experience(2.5 years as an QA Engineer & 1+ year as a Consultant currently) Have been part of a CRM product as an engineer and currently as the CS Consultant .
International Exposure: Part of cross-functional teams during my entire work duration. My work revolves around working with UK based CRM customers as a Consultant. Also involved in training and assisting offshore CRM teams on technical and strategical product challenges. In-depth knowledge of CRM domain and products; and also good experience in working with both technical and business teams of the product. Have demonstrated remarkable understanding in my limited years of experience.

Extra curricular: Excellent achievements in Writing, Drama, Music, Sports. Have been part of clubs,associations etc. since college days. Working with an NGO for teaching underpriviledged kids.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
nidhimish92 wrote:
Hi,

Background:
Indian Female

Here's my 2 cents. (I am just a fellow applicant so take my advice with a grain of salt)

You seem to be academically strong with great Gmat score and decent GPA.
I think 3.5 years is on the lower side of average for Insead (maybe others can chime in here)

You mentioned working with international customers, which is definitely a plus point, however, you did not mention any physical international living/study/travel. Insead asks you to mention actual dates you spent outside your country and what you did while abroad. It could be anything from vacation or travelling to volunteering or full-time work. So, you will be competing with people who did these - something to keep in mind while applying. You can try to talk to your strengths working with cross-cultural teams in your essays to counter this.
All Insead wants is to make sure you are a good candidate to work in a cross-cultural team during school and work in a global environment after.
Your extra-curriculars look good you can talk about how they helped your personal development in your essays.

+ves : female, GMAT score
-ves : international experience, lower than average we

1 tip for your essays is to cut down on the technical jargon. I have an engineering background but have no idea what ERP or CRM or CS is (I do now thanks to google! haha)
and for each point in your essays ask yourself - so what? this helped me cut down on a lot of unnecessary stuff.

I say definitely apply but make sure you address your weaknesses in your essays! All the best and hopefully see you in school!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello
I really appreciate if you can evaluate my on profile for INSEAD.

Background:
Turkish
Age 27
GMAT 720
GPA:3.1/4.0

Education:
B.S majoring in Mechanical engineering from the top public university in Turkey
Work Experience: Total 4 years
Job 1 - An international Bank
Worked for 1 year in risk analytics department, mainly modelled scoracards and BASEL II models using big data analytics
Job 2 - An international actuarial consulting company
Recently working here for 3 years now, mainly responsible for developing actuarial models for insurance companies for pricing and product development, doing m&a valuations of insurance companies, focused on strategy projects for insurance companies as well as Turkish government bodies (such as regulators) related to insurance industry. Served clients from Japan, UAE, UK, South African, Canadian and French

Extra curricular - Experienced sailing captain, semi professional sailing sportsman and football team captain of the high school team.
Post MBA Goal - To join MBB consulting companies and working in technology industry.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello

Background:
Turkish
Age 27
GMAT 720

Education:
Worked for 1 year in risk analytics department, mainly modelled scoracards and BASEL II models using big data analytics
Recently working here for 3 years now, mainly responsible for developing actuarial models for insurance companies for pricing and product development, doing m&a valuations of insurance companies, focused on strategy projects for insurance companies as well as Turkish government bodies (such as regulators) related to insurance industry. Served clients from Japan, UAE, UK, South Africa, Canada and France

Extra curricular - Experienced sailing captain, semi professional sailing sportsman and football team captain of the high school team.
Post MBA Goal - To join MBB consulting companies and working in technology industry.

Thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
nctzcn wrote:
Hello

Background:
Turkish
Age 27
GMAT 720

Education:
Recently working here for 3 years now, mainly responsible for developing actuarial models for insurance companies for pricing and product development, doing m&a valuations of insurance companies, focused on strategy projects for insurance companies as well as Turkish government bodies (such as regulators) related to insurance industry. Served clients from Japan, UAE, UK, South Africa, Canada and France

Thanks!

Hi

Your GPA may be on the low side for INSEAD. Everything else is competitive for INSEAD. Go for it! I also suggest that you apply elsewhere too. Consider LBS if you want to stay in Europe. Would you consider U.S. schools?

For more insights on applying to INSEAD, please see Get Into INSEAD
Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70   
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3699 posts