Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [27]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618594 [6]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| 2.5? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
saswata4s wrote:
How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| ≤ 2.5?

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7

Check out this video: https://youtu.be/oqVfKQBcnrs

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 23 Mar 2017, 03:31.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 09 Aug 2023, 03:38, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| ≤ 2.5? [#permalink]
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
For the inequality |x-5| <= 2.5 to be +ve, x>5
For the inequality |x-5| <= 2.5 to be -ve, x<5
By removing the modulus,
(x-5) = 2.5; x = 7.5
-(x-5) = 2.5; x = 2.5
Hence the inequality lies between 2.5 < (x-5) < 7.5
Since the question asks for integers within this range, we have 3,4,5,6 and 7. Hence answer is C.

Is there any possibility this question be asked for non-integer values.? Just trying to understand the concept better.

TIA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Re: How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| ≤ 2.5? [#permalink]
sarugiri wrote:
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
For the inequality |x-5| <= 2.5 to be +ve, x>5
For the inequality |x-5| <= 2.5 to be -ve, x<5
By removing the modulus,
(x-5) = 2.5; x = 7.5
-(x-5) = 2.5; x = 2.5
Hence the inequality lies between 2.5 < (x-5) < 7.5
Since the question asks for integers within this range, we have 3,4,5,6 and 7. Hence answer is C.

Is there any possibility this question be asked for non-integer values.? Just trying to understand the concept better.

TIA

Hello there,

For the given set of options, the question cannot ask for non-integer values as there are infinite non integral values between any two integers. However, had the options were limits, then there's a possibility to ask for non-integeral values.

Cheers!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| ≤ 2.5? [#permalink]
Diwakar003 wrote:

Hello there,

For the given set of options, the question cannot ask for non-integer values as there are infinite non integral values between any two integers. However, had the options were limits, then there's a possibility to ask for non-integeral values.

Cheers!

Hi,

Could you please explain this in little more details.

Cheers.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618594 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
saswata4s wrote:
Diwakar003 wrote:

Hello there,

Cheers!

Hi,

Could you please explain this in little more details.

Cheers.

The point is that there are infinitely many numbers in any interval. For example, if we don't limit the values of x to integers only, then infinitely many values of x satisfy 2.5 ≤ x ≤ 7.5.

Does this make sense?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6270 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saswata4s wrote:

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7

Let’s solve for when (x - 5) is positive and when (x - 5) is negative.

When (x - 5) is positive:

x - 5 ≤ 2.5

x ≤ 7.5

When (x - 5) is negative:

-(x - 5) ≤ 2.5

-x + 5 ≤ 2.5

-x ≤ -2.5

x ≥ 2.5

Thus, 2.5 ≤ x ≤ 7.5.

We see that there are 5 integer values that satisfy the inequality: 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Answer: C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi saswata4s,

A certain number of questions in the Quant section of the GMAT can be solved rather easily with 'brute force' arithmetic. You don't need to know/complete any complex math - you just have to put the pen on the pad and work your way through the possibilities. The answer choices to this question show that there are at least 3, but no more than 7, integer values that 'fit' this inequality. I bet that you can find them all in under a minute if you try.

|X - 5| < 2.5

Let's start with an obvious value: X = 5

|5 - 5| = 0, which is clearly less than 2.5

X = 6 ---> |1| is less than 2.5
X = 7 ---> |7| is less than 2.5
X = 8 ---> |3| is NOT less than 2.5.... Increasing the value of X will just increase the value of the inequality, so there's no reason to check any higher integers. Let's stop here and try going in the other direction....

X = 4 ---> |-1| = 1 is less than 2.5
X = 3 ---> |-2| = 2 is less than 2.5
X = 2 ---> |-3| = 3 is NOT less than 2.5....Decreasing the value of X will just increase the value of the inequality, so there's no reason to check any lower integers. Thus, we're done - and there are 5 integer values that fit the inequality.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7

2.5<=x<=7.5

As x is integer so x can be 3,4,5,6,7

Hence 5 values can x take
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| ≤ 2.5? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
saswata4s wrote:

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7

|x - 5| ≤ 2.5;

Get rid of modulus: -2.5 ≤ x - 5 ≤ 2.5;

Add 5 to all three parts: 2.5 ≤ x ≤ 7.5

Integer values of x that satisfy the inequality are 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. So, 5 values.

Answer: C.

Hello Bunuel, :) Zeus of all real numbers and unreal numbers :) please show your kindness to mortal GMAT student :) by explaining what i did wrong in my solution below:-)

I approached this question by opening the modulus - modulus always is associated with opening modulus :? no ?

|x - 5| ≤ 2.5

Case 1: x is positive x - 5≤ 2.5 --> x = 7.5

Case 2: x is negative x - 5≤ -2.5 --> x = 2.5 (Not valid, our initial condition was that x is negative but we got positive.

So whats wrong with my approach ? :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi dave13,

Your approach to solving this problem isn't "wrong", but it appears "incomplete."

You've determined the "upper limit" and lower limit" for what X could be (meaning that 2.5 <= X <= 7.5), but you did not factor in ALL of the given information. We're told that X MUST be an INTEGER, so given the range that you've determined... how many INTEGER values could X be?

X could be 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7... meaning that there are 5 potential INTEGER solutions to this question.

Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi dave13,

Your approach to solving this problem isn't "wrong", but it appears "incomplete."

You've determined the "upper limit" and lower limit" for what X could be (meaning that 2.5 <= X <= 7.5), but you did not factor in ALL of the given information. We're told that X MUST be an INTEGER, so given the range that you've determined... how many INTEGER values could X be?

X could be 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7... meaning that there are 5 potential INTEGER solutions to this question.

Rich

Hello EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Many thanks for your reply :) you know what confused? :? CASE 2

Case 2: x is negative x - 5≤ -2.5 --> x = 2.5 (Not valid, our initial condition was that x is negative but we got positive

case two was not valid so that's why I thought I again did something wrong, case two was invalid...

could you explain the logic behind case TWO? what does "INVALID" mean ?

thanks! :-)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618594 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
saswata4s wrote:

(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7

|x - 5| ≤ 2.5;

Get rid of modulus: -2.5 ≤ x - 5 ≤ 2.5;

Add 5 to all three parts: 2.5 ≤ x ≤ 7.5

Integer values of x that satisfy the inequality are 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. So, 5 values.

Answer: C.

Hello Bunuel, :) Zeus of all real numbers and unreal numbers :) please show your kindness to mortal GMAT student :) by explaining what i did wrong in my solution below:-)

I approached this question by opening the modulus - modulus always is associated with opening modulus :? no ?

|x - 5| ≤ 2.5

Case 1: x is positive x - 5≤ 2.5 --> x = 7.5

Case 2: x is negative x - 5≤ -2.5 --> x = 2.5 (Not valid, our initial condition was that x is negative but we got positive.

So whats wrong with my approach ? :?

When opening the modulus you should consider the EXPRESSION being positive or negative, not x. The simplest approach is given in my post but if we solve the way you are going then we'd have the following.

|x - 5| ≤ 2.5

When x - 5 < 0 (NOT x), so when x < 5, we'd have -(x - 5) ≤ 2.5 --> \(x \geq 2.5\). Since we consider the range when x < 5, then for this range we'd have \(2.5 \leq x < 5\)

When x - 5 >= 0 (NOT x), so when x >= 5, we'd have x - 5 ≤ 2.5 --> \(x \leq 7.5\). Since we consider the range when x >= 5, then for this range we'd have \(5 \leq x \leq 7.5\)

Combining both: \(2.5 \leq x \leq 7.5\)

You should study articles below carefully:

10. Absolute Value

[/list]

For more check Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| 2.5? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many integer values of x satisfy the inequality |x - 5| 2.5? [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts