Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [22]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [5]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [5]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i [#permalink]
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Source: Nova GMAT

Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople in this company, including 14 who have become the top salespersons in their regions and 3 who have won the top salesperson award. Although there is an art to selling, Mr. Cooper’s success at training top salespeople shows that the skills required to become a top salesperson can be both taught and learned.

The argument depends on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Mr. Cooper does not teach the hard-sell method. Nor does he teach the I’ll-be-yourpal method. Instead, he stresses the professional-client relationship.
(B) More than 50% of the people trained by Mr. Cooper went on to become successful salespeople.
(C) One of the successful salespeople who trained under Mr. Cooper was not an accomplished salesperson before learning the Cooper Method.
(D) There is a large and expanding industry dedicated to training salespeople.
(E) There is no one method with which to approach sales; a method that works for one person may not for another person.

Hi

I do not think this question is an assumption one. To me, it seems more of a strengthen the argument question and even in that category "B" sounds more plausible than "C".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Re: Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople i [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
The argument says Steve is training many people and people who have been trained by him have won awards or have become top salesperson.

Conclusion: Skills required to become to salesperson can be taught and learned.

The whole conclusion depends on the assumption that since those people became topper, it was due to Mr Steve only. Or I can say there was no other reason for them to win that award. What if they knew these skillls before joining his sessions? In that case the argument would break. Let's look at the options now.

(A) Mr. Cooper does not teach the hard-sell method. Nor does he teach the I’ll-be-yourpal method. Instead, he stresses the professional-client relationship. : What ever he taught or doesn't taught is of no relevance for us. It is no where inline with our Pre thinking nor has any relation to the conclusion.
(B) More than 50% of the people trained by Mr. Cooper went on to become successful salespeople. : Even if 10% were successful, conclusion would be strengthened. But this is not the assumption on the basis of which conclusion is drawn.
(C) One of the successful salespeople who trained under Mr. Cooper was not an accomplished salesperson before learning the Cooper Method. : Great. So, if even that person was trained and taught by Mr Steve and he got achievement, our conclusion will Hold. A great assumption to select.
(D) There is a large and expanding industry dedicated to training salespeople. Irrelevant.
(E) There is no one method with which to approach sales; a method that works for one person may not for another person. How does he do that is irrelevant.

Hi Abhimahna,

Although I got this question right, I am still confused with this option. I only chose this option because I was able to eliminate the others but this option also doesn't seem to be the right assumption because it is talking about one instance out of X number of people he trained.

Keeping the conclusion in mind, one would assume that the salesmen he trained to become successful were not already the best salesmen in the department. How can one such instance be the assumption?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I think 'D' is a better answer choice, as it talks about how there are many others like Mr. Cooper who are in the training industry, therefore implying that the skills can be taught.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Steve Cooper, senior sales officer, has trained many top salespeople in this company, including 14 who have become the top salespersons in their regions and 3 who have won the top salesperson award. Although there is an art to selling, Mr. Cooper’s success at training top salespeople shows that the skills required to become a top salesperson can be both taught and learned.

Conclusion - - Skills for sales person can be taught and learned.
What are we looking for - - Something which is a must for the conclusion to hold true.

The argument depends on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Mr. Cooper does not teach the hard-sell method. Nor does he teach the I’ll-be-yourpal method. Instead, he stresses the professional-client relationship.
-- Need not be always true. Whats if Mr C taught hard-sell methods and students learned it .??

(B) More than 50% of the people trained by Mr. Cooper went on to become successful salespeople.
-- Again need not always be true. What if 49% students are successful.

(C) One of the successful salespeople who trained under Mr. Cooper was not an accomplished salesperson before learning the Cooper Method.
-- This is the correct choice. Negate this - Not a single trainee was not an accomplished salesperson before learning. (Or) "All the trainees were accomplished sales person." - If there were already accomplished then Mr Cooper's method did not help them. This is the base of reasoning here. So negated choice breaks the conclusion ,and hence C is the correct choice.

(D) There is a large and expanding industry dedicated to training salespeople.
-- Irrelevant.
(E) There is no one method with which to approach sales; a method that works for one person may not for another person.
-- Not required to be must be true to hold the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
Send PM