Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhinavvarma34 wrote:
Hi Guys!

Please evaluate my profile.

10th CBSE N. Delhi : 66.66%
12th Andhra Pradesh Board : 96.5%
B.Tech Mechanical from Andhra University : 76%

I am a Badminton Player, and represented my School and College for various tournaments. Did not win many trophies though.
I have a lot of Merits in the field of Robotics, and won a lot of prizes in Robotics during my college days.
I am working for an NGO, Make a Difference, for more than a year now. I never planned to join the NGO to enhance my profile. However, if it helps my career I will include.

Was the Project Lead in my Final year project, where we have fabricated and demonstrated a working model of a self propelling pesticides sprayer with a detailed report of its benefits and test results.

I will have 3 years of Work Experience in IT from Tech Mahindra by September 2017. I was given the role of Technical Lead by the end of my 2nd Year in Tech Mahindra, and I have completed the project in lesser time than planned, gaining profits for my company. I was awarded a Pat on the Back for the same immediately. Right now I am a Technical Lead in 2 projects, leading and working in both of them simultaneously. I have my H1B VISA raised for this year's intake, but I am planning to give up for my MBA dream.

I have done my schooling in more than 3 states so I am a very adaptable person with a broader mind. My father being a Navy officer, got to travel a lot along with him.

I am already preparing for my GMAT and planning to write it by August 1st week, aiming for 710+. I am scoring 640 on an average right now in mocks.

I really want to get into Nanyang Business School or ISB.

Please let me know your views on this and the factors I have to improve myself on.
Reporting this profile, as I did not receive any feedback for the previous one.

Thank you very much in advance. :) :) :-D :-D

Hi Abhinav,

We think you have a good profile with the right elements that can help it stand out in the foray of applications from the Indian IT sector.

To begin with, in terms of the GMAT score, we think you are on the right path and a 710+ score will definitely help and of course the higher the better. If you are scoring 640 right now, then you will need to identify your weak areas and make sure you on the path to a 700+.

We think you have a good career trajectory, but given that you would be competing with a lot of applicants from the IT pool, you will need to work hard on your applications to showcase professional maturity, traits of leadership and teamwork. Since there is sometime before you apply, make use of this time to build relationships so that you can get stellar recommendations from seniors, work on interesting projects that can tell a wonderful story in your application.

In terms of extra-curriculars, both badminton and your stint with MAD help. You may also need to also look at the impact or quality of your volunteering effort. B-schools are often vary of CSR activities, as it becomes difficult to differentiate serious volunteers from those who volunteer only to showcase on CVs. Get your hands dirty there, is our advice!

Lastly, you haven't mentioned your career goals. This forms the basis of your application. Take time out to talk to people within your post MBA target industry to get a clearer idea of roles available and how these B-schools will help you reach there. Also talk to alumni of these schools and identify the strengths within your profile.

With a good application and a competitive score, you definitely stand a chance in both of your target B-schools. Last bit of advice: finish your GMAT by July/August so that you can focus on your applications and apply in R1. Differentiated essays that showcase your achievements can make or break your case!

Feel free to reach out in case of any queries.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Zak456 wrote:
I want to work as high up in a hedge fund as possible sorry for not including this at the start

Hi Zak456,

- You have little experience at this point (well below the median at most of the schools you have listed) and a 680 GMAT (decent but not high). You will need more experience and a higher GMAT, at least for the higher options on this list (LSE, LBS, Imperial).
- Some of the options here (Warwick, Copenhagen, Stockholm) could be possible with a 680, but you will still need higher experience.
- We understand and appreciate your ambitions in working for hedge funds, but you will need to have relevant experience and a profile amenable to aim for this. At this stage, you are in the building phase, and you should use the next 2-3 years to build. Working in an investment role at this point in your career would certainly help. Internships help too, but only marginally - it is full time experience that matters more.
- If you can do that, and also raise your GMAT score, you could be on your way to achieving your goals.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
abhinavvarma34 wrote:
Hi Guys!

Please evaluate my profile.

10th CBSE N. Delhi : 66.66%
12th Andhra Pradesh Board : 96.5%
B.Tech Mechanical from Andhra University : 76%

I am a Badminton Player, and represented my School and College for various tournaments. Did not win many trophies though.
I have a lot of Merits in the field of Robotics, and won a lot of prizes in Robotics during my college days.
I am working for an NGO, Make a Difference, for more than a year now. I never planned to join the NGO to enhance my profile. However, if it helps my career I will include.

Was the Project Lead in my Final year project, where we have fabricated and demonstrated a working model of a self propelling pesticides sprayer with a detailed report of its benefits and test results.

I will have 3 years of Work Experience in IT from Tech Mahindra by September 2017. I was given the role of Technical Lead by the end of my 2nd Year in Tech Mahindra, and I have completed the project in lesser time than planned, gaining profits for my company. I was awarded a Pat on the Back for the same immediately. Right now I am a Technical Lead in 2 projects, leading and working in both of them simultaneously. I have my H1B VISA raised for this year's intake, but I am planning to give up for my MBA dream.

I have done my schooling in more than 3 states so I am a very adaptable person with a broader mind. My father being a Navy officer, got to travel a lot along with him.

I am already preparing for my GMAT and planning to write it by August 1st week, aiming for 710+. I am scoring 640 on an average right now in mocks.

I really want to get into Nanyang Business School or ISB.

Please let me know your views on this and the factors I have to improve myself on.
Reporting this profile, as I did not receive any feedback for the previous one.

Thank you very much in advance. :) :) :-D :-D

Hi Abhinav

- Look to get a strong GMAT score (720+) given that you are in the IT pool
- Your ECA are good, and the work with Make a Difference helps, but it is your core work profile that matters more.
- If you are getting the chance to use the H1B, we would suggest you take it and also apply to B-schools. The international experience will add to your profile and give you a boost in your current job.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
d

Originally posted by bd07 on 15 May 2017, 06:51.
Last edited by bd07 on 15 May 2017, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bd07 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
bd07 wrote:
Hi guys,

This may seem too early on, but I plan to apply by 2020... so it would be nice if I got some feedback in order to work on a few things before my application process.
Anyways, here's my profile...

- Female, Asian
- Born and raised in the Philippines (but I have dual citizenship with the US)
- Currently 21, but will be 24 years old when I apply
- 3.2 GPA (from a top 1-2 university in the PH) - around this range when I graduate as well (started out weak freshman year, but with a significant upward trend)
- Major in Management Economics, Minor in Finance
- Have international study-abroad experiences (one in Berlin where I studied the German Language and Culture), and I'll be completing another one this summer in London (LSE) where I'll be studying on the Global Economy and Financial Markets
- Internship this summer is with the Central Bank of the Philippines (where I'll be working in the Centre of Monetary and Financial Policy)
- Extra-curriculars: Founded a Filipino grilled food business and will be opening it in my university for 1 year this August - (Senior Year), Worked 1 year as a teacher in financial literacy in a poverty-stricken community every Saturday (sophomore year in college), Worked as an ambassador of a cosmetics company in the PH wherein I gave personality talks to teenage girls in a fishing community (freshman year); also part of other college organizations
- Will be taking the GMAT after college (will aim for a 720+)
- After college, I plan to work more on teaching financial literacy on the weekends to communities in the Philippines
- Looking also into a full-time job in the Philippine Stock Exchange, Citi, Department of Finance, Asian Development Bank, or anything in that field. (Will have 2 years full-time experience when I apply)
- Other fun details - Love travelling, mountain climbing, and is also a sports enthusiast

So, this is what I have so far, and knowing how competitive B-school applications can get, I'm looking to improving some aspects of my profile in the next 3 years.
Interested in HBS, Columbia, Fuqua, LSB, Yale, Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck, Sloan, Mendoza, and McDonough
Any feedback or comments will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

In terms of your profile:
- Your GPA is not very high, although we understand it shows an upward trend. You will need to compensate with a very strong GMAT. 720+ is of course recommended but we would suggest hitting the 740 mark if you can.
- While you do have some good experiences, the consistency across them is missing. The current internship helps and you should try and get a good role with a strong brand name (Citi, for example) going forward. Put in a few years there to build up, and try and get some experience beyond your own country as well (professionally; your foreign academic experiences are well noted). Plan to continue on some of the leadership experiences you have going.
- The 2+2 and Silver Scholars programs are outstanding options, but to have a realistic chance there you should be aiming for a very strong GMAT score.

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback! :-D
- Yes, my GPA is quite on the low side... but I'll try making up for it on the GMAT.
- For the consistency in my experiences, do you think my plan of just focusing on teaching financial literacy on the weekends after college (and play a more active role in the field) will be good as it is in line with my internship, and the job I am aiming for in the financial sector
- Or, should I just focus on being more entrepreneurial in terms of the food stall business I own and manage, and currently have a 1 year contract with at my school?

Thanks for your time, and have a great day! :-D

Hi,

- Great on that. As noted earlier, a strong GMAT is important from many perspectives.
- Sure, you can aim for the financial literacy project. For early career programs (Yale SS, 2+2), that is all they will look at. For the MBA applications later, though, they will focus more on your core work experience, so make sure that is solid. For top schools, we need solid achievements there.
- If you are going to focus on the food stall business, you will need to scale it a bit over time + your goals in that case will change (cannot really aim for finance-centric goals through the MBA in that case). Possibly your school list may change as well. Unless that is the path you are keen on going with, we would suggest you manage the food stall with your other partners on a part-time basis.

MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Aiming to get into ISB this year? Not sure what it takes to get in?

Let ISB alumni evaluate your profile and suggest improvements to ensure you get into your dream B-school. Fill up the form below and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

https://goo.gl/forms/oz6PeQlCbpJJTwbC3

Want to know more about ISB & the admissions process? Attend the ISB Admissions Gyaan Session by ISB alumni (via Google Hangouts). The 1 hour session will be held on Sunday, 28th May, 2017 at 12 Noon. Register below:

https://goo.gl/forms/6QDoNavJwMPgTCBU2

Regards,
Abhishek
ISB alumnus & Co-Founder, Strategy4GMAT
Ph: +91 7087234600 | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com
https://www.strategy4gmat.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
thanks Abhishek... I am interested forISB. I have 14 years of work exp in SAP consulting. please evaluate my profile
I have applied on this URL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Wanted to ask for opinions regarding which MBA programs to target given the below general stats:

3.9 GPA / large public undergrad
730-760 GMAT (not yet taken)
Harvard / Yale / Stanford law school
1.5 years at a top 10 corporate firm (m&a / pe)
1.5 years at a plaintiff's firm (very small firm with a public interest element)(current position)
And for what it's worth, US URM

The schools I'm interested in are: HBS, GSB, Wharton, Booth, Sloan, Kellogg, Tuck, Columbia, Yale, Ross, Stern, Darden.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Hi , Please review my profile and suggest me colleges in which i can apply. I am looking for B-schools in Canada and Australia and would like to work there post MBA .

Academics : CBSE board
X - 85.2% (2005)
XII - 82.8% (2007)
UPTU (Uttar Pradesh Technical University)
B.Tech (Computer Science ) - 71.8% (2007-2011)

Work Experience:
1. For 1 year , i've worked in Cognizant as PAT under Banking vertical in Testing domain. Have cleared internal certifications like ISTQB.
2. For 1 year , i've worked as an Operations Manager in ATRIM which is a startup and provide customized solutions in Electronics.
3. For the last 3 years , i am working in a nationalized bank(Indian Bank) as ABM(Assistant Branch Manager). Now , here i have learnt a lot and worked in quite different domains such as managing day to day operations , credit officer ,General Banking. Also have been associated with different govt. schemes like PMJBY ,PMSBY , and other welfare schemes.

Certifications :
1. JAIIB
2. Software Testing Professional(Cognizant)
3. ISTQB(Cognizant)
4.Level-1 Mortgage Banking(Cognizant)

Extra Curricular :
1. Participated in Skit at School level.
2. Appointed as Presiding Officer during Panchayati Election.

Hobbies: 1. Reading Novels and poetry.
2. Writing short stories and poems.

Now , I have scored 640 in GMAT and would like to pursue MBA in Finance or in Strategy and Leadership. Please provide me the list of colleges in which i can apply ? Also , can i get scholarship with this profile ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
udbhav2412 wrote:
Hi , Please review my profile and suggest me colleges in which i can apply. I am looking for B-schools in Canada and Australia and would like to work there post MBA .

Academics : CBSE board
X - 85.2% (2005)
XII - 82.8% (2007)
UPTU (Uttar Pradesh Technical University)
B.Tech (Computer Science ) - 71.8% (2007-2011)

Work Experience:
1. For 1 year , i've worked in Cognizant as PAT under Banking vertical in Testing domain. Have cleared internal certifications like ISTQB.
2. For 1 year , i've worked as an Operations Manager in ATRIM which is a startup and provide customized solutions in Electronics.
3. For the last 3 years , i am working in a nationalized bank(Indian Bank) as ABM(Assistant Branch Manager). Now , here i have learnt a lot and worked in quite different domains such as managing day to day operations , credit officer ,General Banking. Also have been associated with different govt. schemes like PMJBY ,PMSBY , and other welfare schemes.

Certifications :
1. JAIIB
2. Software Testing Professional(Cognizant)
3. ISTQB(Cognizant)
4.Level-1 Mortgage Banking(Cognizant)

Extra Curricular :
1. Participated in Skit at School level.
2. Appointed as Presiding Officer during Panchayati Election.

Hobbies: 1. Reading Novels and poetry.
2. Writing short stories and poems.

Now , I have scored 640 in GMAT and would like to pursue MBA in Finance or in Strategy and Leadership. Please provide me the list of colleges in which i can apply ? Also , can i get scholarship with this profile ?

Hi udbhav2412,

With 5 years of work experience, B-schools would expect you to be able to demonstrate a strong academic background and differentiated achievements and traits of professional maturity at work.

Since you represent an extremely competitive engineering pool of applicants, your stint with finance, definitely adds value and differentiation. We did not see a mention of your career goals. The choice of B-school would also depend on your choice of short-term and long-term goals, as each B-school has strengths and sweet spots with respect to candidate profiles. Also, a GMAT score of 640 is definitely on the lower side, which may be a cause of concern to your application. Have you thought of giving GMAT another shot? A score of 680+ would definitely help, and of course, the higher the better.

We recommend that you have a look at our free B-school selector here. We'd like to know more about your career goals before we recommend colleges within your reach.

Feel free to reach out in case of more queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '17
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile. I am planning to apply to ISB.

Age-33
Gender-Male

GRE 1st attempt-321 (v-161,q-160)

10th-75%
12th-67%
Graduation-49.3%
PG NIFT-7.3 cgpa

Extra curricular activities- Nothing major apart from few sports certificate

I have 10 year work ex , working in retail.
Of the above work ex 5 years is international work ex, have worked in Middle East and Europe.
Have undertaken important projects & new initiatives across all my companies.

Please give your feedback?
My GRE score is close to the average GRE score (323) for ISB PGP class 2018, but I am confused if my score is good enough or should I take GRE again?
Kindly advice
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I am Engineering graduate and going to join Accenture(as ASE) in next month. I am thinking of
joing ISB through EEO. Please evaluate my profile and suggest me what I need to do in next 2
years to increase my chances? How much I have to score in GMAT?

My academics are not good
Graduation - 67.23%
12th - 64.16% :oops:
10th - 92.46%

Achievements/Certificates during Graduation
1) 4th in state level project exhibition by ABVP
2) reached till semi final in techgig android coding challenge
3) I had also developed and launched 2 apps in google play store and received
5k downloads
4) Certificate in "Business Model Innovation" TuDelft university through EDX

Planing for more certification courses in future

Achievements during High school (this will also count ??)
1) District 1st rank in Maharashtra Talent Search (9 std)
2) State 31 st rank in Maharashtra Talent Search (8 std)
3) State 11th rank in High School scholarship exam (7th std)
4) State 3rd rank in middle School scholarship exam (4th std)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
arujmishra wrote:
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile. I am planning to apply to ISB.

Age-33
Gender-Male

GRE 1st attempt-321 (v-161,q-160)

10th-75%
12th-67%
Graduation-49.3%
PG NIFT-7.3 cgpa

Extra curricular activities- Nothing major apart from few sports certificate

I have 10 year work ex , working in retail.
Of the above work ex 5 years is international work ex, have worked in Middle East and Europe.
Have undertaken important projects & new initiatives across all my companies.

Please give your feedback?
My GRE score is close to the average GRE score (323) for ISB PGP class 2018, but I am confused if my score is good enough or should I take GRE again?
Kindly advice

Hi Aruj,

GRE scores are still new for admissions to ISB, having been introduced last year.

There are a few points to note before we go into the score assessment. We have seen that GRE is usually preferred by applicants with lower work experience and the experienced professionals give preference to GMAT. Moreover, GRE Quant and Verbal reasoning scores are assessed separately, so there are two numbers in your GRE score as compared to just a final number. ISB uses its own internal benchmarking to compare applicants with GRE and GMAT applications. Therefore, viewing the total score of 321 as close to the school average may be a wrong assumption. Even of you do, a score of 321 may seem closer to the school average, but it is still on the lower side for a candidate of your profile.

On overall assessment of your profile, the international exposure definitely adds value and we are sure you would be able to showcase examples of leadership. Elements of extracurriculars would have been great, as ISB looks for well-rounded profiles.

While you may not be at a disadvantage applying with a GRE score, it would be advantageous to work towards boosting the score, since it can increase your chances. Since you do have some time before the applications begin, we recommend that you retake the GRE and aim for a higher score.

Feel free to reach out in case of any queries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
vaibhavdesai16 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am Engineering graduate and going to join Accenture(as ASE) in next month. I am thinking of
joing ISB through EEO. Please evaluate my profile and suggest me what I need to do in next 2
years to increase my chances? How much I have to score in GMAT?

My academics are not good
Graduation - 67.23%
12th - 64.16% :oops:
10th - 92.46%

Achievements/Certificates during Graduation
1) 4th in state level project exhibition by ABVP
2) reached till semi final in techgig android coding challenge
3) I had also developed and launched 2 apps in google play store and received
5k downloads
4) Certificate in "Business Model Innovation" TuDelft university through EDX

Planing for more certification courses in future

Achievements during High school (this will also count ??)
1) District 1st rank in Maharashtra Talent Search (9 std)
2) State 31 st rank in Maharashtra Talent Search (8 std)
3) State 11th rank in High School scholarship exam (7th std)
4) State 3rd rank in middle School scholarship exam (4th std)

Hi Vaibhav,

We're always thrilled when candidates look at actively building a profile before applying to a B-school in the future. B-schools actively look for this trait too and you're definitely on the right path! Based on the information available, here's what we think you should be doing actively before you apply to ISB EEO:

1. Strengthen your academic profile: Since this is clearly a weak area, the way to overcome this is to aim for a higher GMAT score. Aim for a score of 720+, and the higher the better.
2. At the workplace: Aim to excel at work. Build relationships (that will get you stellar recommendations), take initiatives, volunteer for interesting projects to make sure you have examples that back your claim that you are a potential leader.
3. Attend roadshows: ISB ad-com conducts roadshows for future applicants, take time to attend these so that you understand the school better. It will help you identify strengths in your profile that are aligned with the school requirements.
4. Extracurriculars: Achievements throughout schools and college definitely count. Certifications, on the other hand, add value to your profile only if they are aligned to your career goals. Also, extracurriculars are often activities that you are passionate about, at work and beyond. They need not be CSR activities, but other initiatives that show that you have a well-rounded profile.
5. Talk to friends, family and ISB alumni within your post MBA target industry to get better idea of your career goals. While a well-charted career path is not expected for an ISB EEO applicant, clarity of goals always adds value to your profile.

To summarize, a strong GMAT, good achievements at the workplace and impressive extracurriculars can give you a good shot at ISB EEO.

Feel free to reach out in case of queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hi.. have submitted my profile. Awaiting response.

Sent from my 2014818 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aekagra wrote:
Hi.. have submitted my profile. Awaiting response.

Responded! Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out in case of further queries.

Regards,
Abhishek

ISB alumnus & Co-Founder, Strategy4GMAT.
Ph: +91 7087234600 | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com
www.strategy4gmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Thanks. Have mailed you my query. Please check