Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [17]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Sustainability
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
pg1991 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Applying to R1 as well. Currently researching for the essays.

My Profile

2 years startup Founder and CEO of a angel funded Media Tech startup in India
1.5 years as Hardware engineer at Qualcomm India

Bachelors in Technology with Honors . CGPA 3.5

GMAT 780 | Yet to take TOEFL

National level table tennis player in Under 16 age group. University Table Tennis captain.

Any inputs would be welcome

You, like many folks, are well qualified - you'll need to focus on all the other parts of your application.

Make sure your essay, recommendations, and short answers are excellent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
Kudos
JLyons wrote:
Thanks for the response! NateFromHBS you should be a motivational speaker--you just got me pumped! :-D I will shoot you a PM with that info--thanks for your time!

On a separate note, does anyone have any insight into the HBX Core program? I'm interested in taking it after my applications are submitted (coming from a nontraditional background, I think it would be a great transition tool); however, if it helps tremendously on the apps, I would look into an earlier course--just afraid of stretching myself too thin. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm taking it right now (it may be required if you are admitted). I don't think it helps tremendously on the apps.

It won't hurt your application, but I don't think it adds too much, I'd give the recommendation of focusing your time on polishing up your essays & short answers. I think you'll get much more value from that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Bookmarks
aeropower wrote:
JLyons wrote:
Thanks for the response! NateFromHBS you should be a motivational speaker--you just got me pumped! :-D I will shoot you a PM with that info--thanks for your time!

On a separate note, does anyone have any insight into the HBX Core program? I'm interested in taking it after my applications are submitted (coming from a nontraditional background, I think it would be a great transition tool); however, if it helps tremendously on the apps, I would look into an earlier course--just afraid of stretching myself too thin. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm taking it right now (it may be required if you are admitted). I don't think it helps tremendously on the apps.

It won't hurt your application, but I don't think it adds too much, I'd give the recommendation of focusing your time on polishing up your essays & short answers. I think you'll get much more value from that.

Thanks JLyons, but more importantly thank you for your service and for the example you set to other enlisted military for applying.

While I agree with Aeropower that HBX Core is often redundant as many (and especially military folks like us) are required to take after being accepted, and would add that it may be more expensive to take before you are accepted since you will not be eligible for HBS financial aid, I would disagree that successfully completing HBS won't have an effect on your admissions prospects. In fact, the Admissions Committee members I interact with often cite HBX as a great way for non-traditional candidates to strengthen their applications by demonstrating quantitative aptitude, suitability for the Harvard culture, and commitment to the MBA. If you lack credible quantitative experience and have the time to spare, HBX is a fantastic way to bolster your resume.

I'd add too that it's not just HBS that sees things this way. Increasingly HBX is setting the standard for certified pre-MBA preparation and many other schools (like Wharton, CBS, and Tuck) view HBX as a positive credential demonstrating the likelihood of your success in their classroom. It's also apparently very well done. In your case I would go for it, time permitting.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
aeropower - thanks so much for sticking around to help new applicants. I had a few questions for you. A lot of people are under the impression that the short answer questions in the application form are really important for HBS (not trying to say they are not for other schools) because they have the overarching "everything else" theme for their essay.

How did you approach that? Did you have commonalities among your short answer and your essay? Was your essay entirely personal in nature? I'd love to know how you approached the application last year!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
aeropower - thanks so much for sticking around to help new applicants. I had a few questions for you. A lot of people are under the impression that the short answer questions in the application form are really important for HBS (not trying to say they are not for other schools) because they have the overarching "everything else" theme for their essay.

How did you approach that? Did you have commonalities among your short answer and your essay? Was your essay entirely personal in nature? I'd love to know how you approached the application last year!

More than happy to help, this forum has been very helpful for me! I think that the short answer questions are very important as they answer an explicit question that HBS has for your application (compared to the essay that is open).

Taking a look back at application, here are a few bits of my experience:

1. My approach was to make sure there weren't any conflicting messages or takeaways; also, making sure not to repeat myself too much. I think the important, and difficult, thing to do is figure out how to convey your message succinctly and clearly, while not putting down too many words (there are words/character limits as well). The short answer questions and essay (as well as rest of the package) need to compliment each other.

2. My essay was a blend of personal and professional - I would say 80% personal and 20% professional. By personal, I don't mean a sad story or something objective. I wrote about: my view/perspective, how I felt in the moment, what drove me, and what drives me.

3. As for my whole application, back to point 1; I reviewed multiple times to make sure there aren't any conflicting messages as well as made sure that every opportunity that I had to add on the application complimented each other without repeating.

Prior to my reviews, I had a checklist of topics/items that I wanted my application to convey - X,Y,Z. After going through my application, I asked myself whether or not I conveyed these items. If not, I went back for another round.
--
Business School applications are no joke, they require a great deal of time - preparing, crafting, reviewing, re-crafting, re-reviewing, and submitting.

In the coming weeks, I'll be doing a write-up on my application experience and posting it here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-mba-journey-332/
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Awesome! I am really looking forward to reading your MBA jouney on the forum. A quick follow up question - How was your HBS interview experience? For a few people I spoke with last year it seemed like they felt that their interviewer already knew their decision and the conversation was too conversational to derive skills from. How was your experience?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HBS '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q161 V169
Send PM
aeropower wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

More than happy to help, this forum has been very helpful for me! I think that the short answer questions are very important as they answer an explicit question that HBS has for your application (compared to the essay that is open).

Taking a look back at application, here are a few bits of my experience:

1. My approach was to make sure there weren't any conflicting messages or takeaways; also, making sure not to repeat myself too much. I think the important, and difficult, thing to do is figure out how to convey your message succinctly and clearly, while not putting down too many words (there are words/character limits as well). The short answer questions and essay (as well as rest of the package) need to compliment each other.

2. My essay was a blend of personal and professional - I would say 80% personal and 20% professional. By personal, I don't mean a sad story or something objective. I wrote about: my view/perspective, how I felt in the moment, what drove me, and what drives me.

3. As for my whole application, back to point 1; I reviewed multiple times to make sure there aren't any conflicting messages as well as made sure that every opportunity that I had to add on the application complimented each other without repeating.

Prior to my reviews, I had a checklist of topics/items that I wanted my application to convey - X,Y,Z. After going through my application, I asked myself whether or not I conveyed these items. If not, I went back for another round.
--
Business School applications are no joke, they require a great deal of time - preparing, crafting, reviewing, re-crafting, re-reviewing, and submitting.

In the coming weeks, I'll be doing a write-up on my application experience and posting it here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-mba-journey-332/

I'd love to get your take on something. Does it matter which application you start working on first? For instance, if I were applying to HBS is it better to start with a less challenging application now, then tackle the HBS essays in August? I've heard that the HBS is too much pressure to start with. Is it better to work first on the school you're most excited about or the one with the easiest application?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
Awesome! I am really looking forward to reading your MBA jouney on the forum. A quick follow up question - How was your HBS interview experience? For a few people I spoke with last year it seemed like they felt that their interviewer already knew their decision and the conversation was too conversational to derive skills from. How was your experience?

I would argue a different view from the interviewer already knowing their decision and the conversation was too conversational to derive skills from.

Obviously, this is my opinion, and should be viewed just as that... I think that the interview is very important at HBS. If the interviewer already knew their decision, what would be the point of even being invited to interview? I don't think that wasting the interviewer's and interviewee's time is part of the plan.

As for the actual interview, I think that HBS's unique interview (one that is different for every candidate since the interviewer has reviewed your entire application beforehand) is meant to assess many things, but, most importantly, whether or not you would excel in the case method that is utilized heavily at HBS. What I mean by that isn't simply, could you answer questions if you were called upon, I also mean your ability to express your argument succinctly and clearly (essentially, spreading your experience and knowledge effectively to your classmates).

I think that the interview at HBS is absolutely important. As for my experience.. it was typical of your HBS interview that has been reported on and archived all over the web.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
aeropower wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

I would argue a different view from the interviewer already knowing their decision and the conversation was too conversational to derive skills from.

Obviously, this is my opinion, and should be viewed just as that... I think that the interview is very important at HBS. If the interviewer already knew their decision, what would be the point of even being invited to interview? I don't think that wasting the interviewer's and interviewee's time is part of the plan.

As for the actual interview, I think that HBS's unique interview (one that is different for every candidate since the interviewer has reviewed your entire application beforehand) is meant to assess many things, but, most importantly, whether or not you would excel in the case method that is utilized heavily at HBS. What I mean by that isn't simply, could you answer questions if you were called upon, I also mean your ability to express your argument succinctly and clearly (essentially, spreading your experience and knowledge effectively to your classmates).

I think that the interview at HBS is absolutely important. As for my experience.. it was typical of your HBS interview that has been reported on and archived all over the web.

Hope this helps!

Do you know if HBS are paying flying reimbursements for the interviewees?

Thanks!
G
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
goidelg wrote:
Do you know if HBS are paying flying reimbursements for the interviewees?

Thanks!
G

Skype interviews are offered for all interviewees. You can also travel to a location nearer to you, but cost will not be reimbursed for any travel expenses whether in Boston or elsewhere. Skype interviews are weighed equally - it will not be a disadvantage to you. I did mine via Skype.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [2]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos