Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 3: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.55
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Any one have any feedback for me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.81
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello,

Following are my stats:

Background and nationality: Indian, Electronics Engineer, Female

Undergrad Information: Bachelor's in EEE from one of the top 5 Indian Engineering colleges ( 7.04/10)

GMAT: 740 ( Q50, V41)
Work experience and leadership : ( 3 years, total 4 when matriculating)

Hardware Engineer in a big hardware startup from India, Team lead for 2 years(had direct reports during this time), right now driving technical requirements(technical management) across 3 cross-functional departments having ~30 engineers.

Community and others: .
1. Indian Classical Dance and Vocals Diploma holder.
2. Had multiple positions of responsibilities in Undergrad ( Cultural Clubs, Tech forums )

Post-MBA goals: Want to get into Product Management, specializations in Strategy.
Still researching as to what might be a backup option if Product Management doesn't work out.

Please let me know if my profile is suitable for McCombs, and my chances.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q158 V156
GPA: 2.9
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thank you for taking the time to check out my profile. Being a non-traditional student, I have some concerns on how I'm going to stand out and after doing a lot of research over the past year, it's time to put myself out there and get some advice. Thanks again!

Background/nationality: Career changer, white male, American, 34 y/o, LGBT

Undergrad school/major: Top 50 Public School (Big 12), BSc Petroleum Geology

Undergrad GPA: 2.9 overall with an upward trend; last 60 hrs/GPA in major = 3.2. No real excuse for this except just not knowing what I wanted to major in for the 1st few semesters and my grades suffered until I found my major.

GMAT Score: 680 (42Q/40V)

Work experience: 9 years in O&G mostly working for E&P's; US onshore upstream operations/development roles. No managerial roles; more project management (in O&G it seems to take much more time to get into any kind of leadership roles).

Extra curricular: Most recent: delivery driver and kitchen assistant for a non-profit that makes meals for those with life-threatening illness; volunteer usher at one of the largest performing arts centers in the country; volunteer for outdoor preservation group; trumpet player in community concert band; other various corporate-sponsored programs (United Way, Junior Achievement, Habitat for Humanity).

Post MBA goals: I currently have 3 pathways that I'm interested in:
1.) General management/rotational program in Energy
2.) O&G investment banking
3.) Management Consultant with hopes of exiting to O&G later
*also interested in GE EFS but not sure where that fits in here

I'd like to add that UT, Tepper, and UNC are at the top of my list but I know these are probably stretches and definitely have lower ranked programs on my list as well. Open to suggestions on schools I may have overlooked.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 3: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.55
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
cherrilash wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm hoping to gather some feedback about my applicant profile for McCombs. I'm particularly concerned about my low GPA. All feedback is welcome.

Background and nationality
28 y/o
African American
Female
LGBT

Undergrad Information
B.S. Business Management at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
2.55 GPA definitely address this in optional essay- no excuses- but just context. Did you have a tough time adjusting to college? were you in wrong major and once you fixed that things improved? And also see if you can take econ or stats or calc or financial accounting in a graded class and make an A. That will help- and so will your killer GMAT so congrats on that!

GMAT:
730 Q48 V42

Work experience and leadership
5+ Years in software quality assurance, with Tech consulting firms
Career progression from Analyst -> Senior Analyst -> Team Lead
Experience working in internal service roles as well as client facing.

Community and others
Co-lead Employer sponsored LGBT organization
Co-chair Local non-profit events for the past 5 years

Post MBA goals
My goal is to transition to internal consulting within a tech company. I intend to focus on operations and technology management.

Anything else?
I will be applying to McCombs through the consortium.
be sure to rate McCombs first in Consortium if that is your goal. And I suggest you engage in visiting campus in fall and reaching out to students there.
I think you have a good shot! For more tips or more specific info we can provide- reach out for a free consult at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thank you for your response! I did change majors during undergrad and that had some impact on my GPA. I will look in to taking a graded quant course to improve my applicant profile.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
tmm709 wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to check out my profile. Being a non-traditional student, I have some concerns on how I'm going to stand out and after doing a lot of research over the past year, it's time to put myself out there and get some advice. Thanks again!

Undergrad GPA: 2.9 overall with an upward trend; last 60 hrs/GPA in major = 3.2. No real excuse for this except just not knowing what I wanted to major in for the 1st few semesters and my grades suffered until I found my major.

Work experience: 9 years in O&G mostly working for E&P's; US onshore upstream operations/development roles. No managerial roles; more project management (in O&G it seems to take much more time to get into any kind of leadership roles).

Extra curricular: Most recent: delivery driver and kitchen assistant for a non-profit that makes meals for those with life-threatening illness; volunteer usher at one of the largest performing arts centers in the country; volunteer for outdoor preservation group; trumpet player in community concert band; other various corporate-sponsored programs (United Way, Junior Achievement, Habitat for Humanity).

I'd like to add that UT, Tepper, and UNC are at the top of my list but I know these are probably stretches and definitely have lower ranked programs on my list as well. Open to suggestions on schools I may have overlooked.
I would recommend that you retake the GMAT, aiming for 740+ to offset the GPA concerns. McCombs would be a reach school given your stats and background. I believe you have a good shot at some of the other schools you listed in your profile (i.e. Jones).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
tmm709 wrote:

You seem to have a great Verbal score ...Why not take GMAT again and get atleast 45 in Quant as it would be required to prove to the adcom that you can handle their curriculum which is high on quant...
I am sure with ur profile and experience (and a bit high quant score) you would make a great prospect for McCombs..

Let me know if you need any help...
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
tmm709 wrote:

Hi,
Non-traditional may raise slightly more questions (i.e. you want to show that you know what you'll get out of the MBA and how it will help you), but it can be a plus in that you may be slightly more memorable in the process, and since you compete most with people most like you, having a smaller group of similar applicants is not necessarily a bad thing. ;) Try to emphasize all of the experiences and skills you've gained in your career as a way to showcase what you'll bring to the classroom discussions. Also be sure to emphasize your volunteering/community experiences. With the GPA challenge and without a stellar GMAT, UT may be a reach for you it's true; not sure if a re-take is in the cards (?), something to consider. Keep researching schools and options and various programs (especially with 9 years of experience; some at your point in career wind up trying for Part Time programs too as an option). Final thought-- if/when you do apply, aim to pick out one of the 3 potential paths and focus on that for the purposes of the applications. Keep us posted if we can help more!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Nice post
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I would really appreciate if I can get a feedback on my profile:

Background and nationality: MS in CS from USA. Indian.
Undergrad Information: 3.5
Grad Information: 3.76 (MS in Computer Science from a big 10 school)
GMAT: 670 (Q50 V31)
Work experience and leadership
Community and others: 5 years in a startup as computer vision engineer. Currently engineering manager. Recently company got acquired by an MNC.
Post MBA goals: I want to switch my field of work from Engineering to finance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Rotman '21
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hey,

So
GMAT : 710
GPA : 3.0 (Graduate in Commerce)
I am a Chartered Accountant & a CFA Charterholder
Experience
3 Years Internship in a top international audit firm (Audit)
3 Years Experience in a top US Investment bank (Product Controller for Structured Products)
Currently employed with a top US bank (Treasury Risk - Structural Interest Rate Risk Management)

I am planning to apply for 2021, by the time will have 2 years experience in my current role

Extra Curricular :
NGO Activities
1 Year in a Rotaract Club
Currently part of an NGO that engages in Education for the underprivileged kids (working as a teacher & Center head)

Can someone give me an evaluation and whether I should do something more to better my profile.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.89
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dear Experts,

Requesting a profile evaluation for McCombs:
29 Indian Female
Btech from Tier-2 Indian University
GMAT: 670 (Q 49, V33)
WE : completing 8 years in Nov . 3 years International experience (2 years + currently in US , 1 year UK)
Working as Technical Business Analyst for banking/insurance firms.
Overall good academics.
Community : Involved in some activities at Organizational CSR activities
Post MBA goals - Want to work in Fintech space as project manager/account manager or in a product based company helping transform the information systems

Appreciate your feedback and any points I can work upon.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello Experts,

25 year old White Male
BBA Finance and Management from a probably not well known state uni: 4.0 GPA
GMAT: 650 (Q 44, V36)
WE : Will have 4 years at Merrill Lynch financial advisor and analyst of two Global Institutional Consulting teams
Community : Serve on the Board of Directors for three organizations: Big Brothers Big Sisters of NM, BBBS Foundation, and the 20-30 Club (a childrens charity non-profit).
Post MBA goals - Transition to work in either marketing or consulting, haven't decided exactly what yet (but I will by applications).

Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
NJackson40 wrote:
Hello Experts,

25 year old White Male
BBA Finance and Management from a probably not well known state uni: 4.0 GPA
GMAT: 650 (Q 44, V36)
WE : Will have 4 years at Merrill Lynch financial advisor and analyst of two Global Institutional Consulting teams
Community : Serve on the Board of Directors for three organizations: Big Brothers Big Sisters of NM, BBBS Foundation, and the 20-30 Club (a childrens charity non-profit).
Post MBA goals - Transition to work in either marketing or consulting, haven't decided exactly what yet (but I will by applications).

Thank you!

Hi,
Your work experience sounds solid and nice that you are on the Board of those organizations; would be even stronger if you also volunteer and get more involved with them. The biggest sticking point is your GMAT!! To be close to 50 pts below McCombs average is tough to overcome.... and there will be lots of other applicants with similar backgrounds, but higher scores. Not sure how many times you've taken it but I'd encourage a re-take, tutoring, etc... that is one are you CAN impact as you get ready to apply!
Send PM
Expert Reply
GmatDM2016 wrote:
Dear Experts,

29 Indian Female
Btech from Tier-2 Indian University
GMAT: 670 (Q 49, V33)
WE : completing 8 years in Nov . 3 years International experience (2 years + currently in US , 1 year UK)
Working as Technical Business Analyst for banking/insurance firms.
Overall good academics.
Community : Involved in some activities at Organizational CSR activities
Post MBA goals - Want to work in Fintech space as project manager/account manager or in a product based company helping transform the information systems

Appreciate your feedback and any points I can work upon.

Thanks.

Hello,
Definitely play up your international experience and how that has shaped your view of the world. Within your work experience, brainstorm and identify instances where you've demonstrated leadership and initiative, and gone above and beyond what was expected of you. Your GMAT is a touch low given how competitive McCombs is; not sure if a re-take is an option for best chances? We don't have a lot to go on here (side note we do offer a free 30 minute consultation option with a resume look if that is more useful, www.mbamission.com/consult), but so far so good, just consider whether you have any more points on the table GMAT-wise!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Background and nationality: Indian, Male - 24 years old
Undergrad Information: MIT, Manipal - Mechanical Engineer, although I have always worked in Business roles
GMAT: 690 (Q48 V37 IR7 AWA6)
Work experience and leadership:

3 years work experience as of September 2017, currently working as a Growth Hacker (Head of Growth & have direct reportees) for an Indian startup that has secured a funding of $65 mn till date. Started off as a business analyst, then moved to digital marketing & further heading new customer acquisition, now taking care of the entire user journey. Directly impacting to $10 million p.a in revenues through business strategies implemented from my end

Have previously worked with Amazon as a Transaction Risk Investigator, directly impacting company's bad debt & customer experience.

Post MBA goals: Get into consulting/product management
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.67
Send PM
I need some guidance regarding my chances in MBA schools. My preferred colleges:ISB hyderabad, Mays (Texas A&M),Marriot (Bringham YU),Schuliz,Rotman,NUS Singapore and NTU.

GMAT:680 Q 49, V 34
GPA:3.1 Electrical Engg
Exp:8years in Indian Maharatna PSU NTPC

Achievements:
Was part of the team that completed erection and commissioning of steam turbine in record time of 13months,a project worth INR 450 cr

Formulated a plan to stop barring stalling in turbine leading to annual saving of over 150 cr annually.

Other than my work life i also engage in csr activities of ntpc ,participating in education and swachh bharat abhiyan.

I am planning to start my mba at the earliest so is my profile ok or should i go for a better gmat score.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6