Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [1]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
McCombs Essays and Deadlines are out... Take a look :

2017-2018 Application Essay Topics

Essay - 1
It is the first day of Texas MBA orientation. You are meeting your study group, comprised of five of your classmates from various backgrounds. Please introduce yourself to your new team, highlighting what drives you in your personal and professional life. Select only one communication method that you would like to use for your response.
Write an essay (250 words), OR
Share a video introduction (one minute)

Essay-2 New!
Picture yourself at graduation. Describe how you spent your two years as a Texas MBA student, and how that experience helped to prepare you for the post-MBA world. (500 words)

Optional Statement:
Please provide any additional information you believe is important and/or address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the Admissions Committee in considering your application (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance, or extenuating personal circumstances). (250 words)

Attachments

McCombs Deadlines.PNG
McCombs Deadlines.PNG [ 10.63 KiB | Viewed 24526 times ]

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [6]
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hmmnn.. the thread is NOT so buzzing yet ...

May be the below tips from Stacey Kammerdiener, Senior Texas Full-Time MBA Admissions Officer on this year's essay from will get you guys going ...

Essay 1

Introduce yourself. (An essay of 250 words, OR a video introduction of one minute)

Our Advice:

Simple, right? Wait…it’s not?

At first glance, you may have many questions about how to approach this two-word prompt. Who is my audience? Is this a formal or a casual introduction? How in the world do I introduce myself in only 250 words or through a one minute clip?

Essay one is purposely open-ended. It’s truly up to you how you want to approach your introduction to the admissions committee. When you first meet someone, what’s your elevator pitch?

Before tackling this essay, you may want to think about your personal and professional interests and attributes – it is the combination of these two items that make you who you are, and that make you unique (and interesting!). Therefore, an intro that only discusses work experience, or only discusses previous life experience, is incomplete. Give us a well-rounded mix, so that we better understand who you are in a more complete sense, and not only in one facet of your life. Think about what makes you tick.

Finally, the choice is yours: written essay or video. We have seen significant success on both platforms and do not prefer one over the other. Therefore, play to your strengths! If your skill is in writing, focus on the essay. If you want to create a video and rely on your voice and video editing skills, then we are excited to see it. However, if you do submit a video, keep in mind that sending us a photo slideshow with background music isn’t advisable. These clips do not grant the admissions committee the chance to actually see or hear you, which is what makes video submissions so great!

In any submission, have fun with it and do not take this essay for granted—it can go a long way in introducing yourself and setting the stage for your application.

Essay 2

Picture yourself at graduation. Describe how you spent your two years as a Texas MBA student, and how that experience helped to prepare you for the post-MBA world. (500 words)

Our Advice:

Essay two, in essence, allows you to explain to the admissions committee why you’re applying to the Texas MBA Program. By describing to us how you plan to spend your two years as an MBA student, we will be able to glean your plan of attack career-wise, learn what causes you may be passionate about, and find out how you plan to develop yourself both inside and outside of the classroom.

Keep in mind that by the time we read your essays, we have already seen your resume, scores and other basic elements of your application. We have also already reviewed your short and long term goals. Essay two is meant to explain to us how you believe McCombs will help get you there! What classes, organizations, and experiential opportunities specifically relate to your career plan? Connect the dots for us. Personally, how do you envision yourself becoming an active contributor in our community? Texas MBA students are dynamic and engaged, and we are looking for applicants who are equally as driven.

Truly pause to think about how you would want to reflect on your two years while walking across that Gregory Gym stage. A vague essay is a poor essay, so give us specifics. If you’ve read our website or spoken to an admissions team member, frankly there is a LOT to love: classes, concentrations, organizations, students/alumni, professors, unique academic and career-oriented opportunities, location, and the list goes on. Illustrate what attributes of the program you plan to take full advantage of, and how that fits into your post-MBA self. In addition, how do you plan to give back while you are a student? What will be your lasting legacy? Convince us that you are indispensable to our community, and that we simply cannot live without you.

Optional Statement

Please provide any additional information you believe is important and/or address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the Admissions Committee in considering your application (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance, or extenuating personal circumstances). (250 words)

Our Advice:

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Honestly, the most important piece of advice we can give you regarding this final prompt is to remember that the optional statement is just that – optional. Only applicants who feel that some piece of their profile deserves more explanation should be submitting the optional statement. This section of the application is not to be used to tell us all about your extracurricular activities, or to expand upon your personal introduction. While we love that you’re so involved in your community, there are other ways to let the admissions committee know about these additional projects or passions of yours (at the bottom of your resume, perhaps, or during the interview).

Our Final, Closing Advice:

Do

Take time to reflect. It will likely take more than one draft to nail it.
Be honest. These essays are our way to learn more about you! Our students value authenticity; your essays should reflect your authentic self.
Have a friend read over your essays. They can provide valuable feedback, and may even remind you about what makes you so special!

Don’t

Send the same essay (or parts of essays) to multiple schools. (We can totally tell when you re-use an essay or parts of essays.)
Ignore the essay prompt! Too often, applicants bypass the actual question in an effort to tell us something they think we need to know. Make sure you’re answering the question being asked.
Send an essay that exceeds the word count and/or time perimeter given. Follow the instructions!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [0]
Send PM
Guys why no hustle at all ...

Looks like everyone is busy with either GMAT or researching schools...

So what stage are you guys in for the McCombs application?
Please take a moment to share your views and strategies to approach this year's application.

From my last year's experience, I can say the application journey can be fun if you have people to talk to about the problems you are facing ...
You might be surprised to see how many of us are in similar situation and fighting the same issues ....

So, make some noise guys ...lets make our presence felt on the forum ....
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
hey mihir0710 ,

I think I may apply to McCombs this year. I applied last year in R2 with a low GMAT score. This year I may apply with a better one. :)

I am currently working on my GMAT and will be done in another 15-20 days.
Current Student
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
hey mihir0710 ,

I think I may apply to McCombs this year. I applied last year in R2 with a low GMAT score. This year I may apply with a better one. :)

I am currently working on my GMAT and will be done in another 15-20 days.

Hi abhi,

Great to hear from you.

M also at a similar stage ..hopefully will be done with my gmat on 11th ...

Btw we have couple of folks on this forum (and from India) who got admit last year with not-so-high gmat ...so its pretty encouraging that McCombs do make a point to take look beyond the applicants gmat ..

What about others ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I am applying for Round One, Good luck with the GMAT guys!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
FYI- the application went live this morning!
Current Student
Send PM
BD1231 wrote:
FYI- the application went live this morning!

Thanks for the info BD1231

So, at what stage are you in ur application process ??
Would you like share some of ur experience so far ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
I'm planning to apply in R1 - not too sure about McCombs. Long term goal is to get into consulting. (currently devising strategies that earn $1M+ monthly) - GMAT score is a bummer but don't have the time or liberty to give it again this year. Trying to offset it with my work experience. Guys, an open ended question - do you think that McCombs would be the right fit?
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
mgcon wrote:
I'm planning to apply in R1 - not too sure about McCombs. Long term goal is to get into consulting. (currently devising strategies that earn $1M+ monthly) - GMAT score is a bummer but don't have the time or liberty to give it again this year. Trying to offset it with my work experience. Guys, an open ended question - do you think that McCombs would be the right fit?

Hi mgcon,

I would suggest you post this question in the profile evaluation thread for McCombs ...alongwith a bit more detail about ur profile ..(see some sample post)...
You will get some really nice insights from the admission experts and consultants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.14
WE:Analyst (Telecommunications)
Send PM
McCombs is a priority school for me. Just went through my GMAT last week and didn't end up with a satisfactory score so won't be applying in R1. Intend on spending more time on prep, giving the GMAT again in November and applying for R2. Hope it goes well!
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
rezkazmi wrote:
McCombs is a priority school for me. Just went through my GMAT last week and didn't end up with a satisfactory score so won't be applying in R1. Intend on spending more time on prep, giving the GMAT again in November and applying for R2. Hope it goes well!

Not a bad idea at all ...

Adcoms often emphasize on the fact that one should apply when his application is the strongest ...
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
rezkazmi wrote:

In this mean time, stay tuned to this thread ... you will see application experience of R1 applicants here ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

For the benefit of all those applying to McCombs for 2018 intake, can we talk a little bit about why are you guys Applying to McCombs?
May be that can help the community know some details about the school which we otherwise could not

KDM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Hello, I am planning to apply in round 1. I am applying because of the strong curriculum and great diversity of the student body. I am also applying for the geographical location of the college. It is also not that cold.
Anyone from Delhi, India keen on applying this year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Does McCombs value international exposure in work experience to a large extent? How are the scholarship/fellowship opportunities ? For a candidate looking to switch to consulting with no prior experience in the same, how are the post-MBA job opportunities?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am finishing up my application this week and have gotten to the option social media post thing where they ask for a pinterest board/instagram/tweet on why McCombs....just curious what everyone is going with and if anyone is doing a pinterest board how many pins? Should this just be a short little thing? My gut goes with yes since twitter is also an option..
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts