Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Re: Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
cxa0897 wrote:
Essay A (required)

Please provide 2 PowerPoint Slides-

Slide 1. should illustrate why Michigan State University’s MBA program should admit you.
Slide 2. should include a writing sample (minimum 350 words).

Is it just me or is this realllyyy vague?

I think in a way, MSU intentionally made slide 1 vague in order to see what the applicant would do with it. Considering they get a lot of applications, making it a slide format is one way to allow applicants to really visually make their response stand out, and illustrate their capabilities with Powerpoint at the same time. This also allows you to very concisely point out what sets you apart from other applicants. I essentially picked 4 reasons that made me a good candidate and differentiated me from the crowd, and put those on the slide with supporting information to back each one up. Something I'd recommend thinking about would be what YOU can bring to Broad. Why should they want you amongst their class of 2020?

Another thing to consider is, if you click on the video interview link, you'll see that the first video question is essentially going to ask you to pitch your slide 1 like a presentation (in the 2 minutes). At least, that was my first video interview question (I'm assuming it will be the same for everyone). They tell you this ahead of time once you click on the link as a warning to ensure that you have completed the "essays"/slides before doing the video interview questions.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks cxa0897 for creating this topic. Let's make it official discussion thread for the class of 2020. I've added deadlines and data tables in the first post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: Business College Pavilion Fly Through
The next chapter for the Eli Broad College of Business is officially underway.

Michigan State UniversityPresident Lou Anna K. Simon recently approved the college’s plans to begin construction on the Business College Pavilion, and construction crews are preparing the college’s current facilities and surroundings for the forthcoming groundbreaking and building activities.

“We are thrilled that this project is underway, and that the Broad College will soon offer our students the learning environment they need to thrive and that they deserve,” said Sanjay Gupta, the Eli and Edythe L. Broad Dean of the Eli Broad College of Business. “We will continue working toward our fundraising goal for the project, but have reached a critical milestone in our ultimate goal of making a tremendous impact on our students and community,” he said.

The formal groundbreaking ceremony is tentatively scheduled for early fall.

Over the last few years, committees comprised of Broad College faculty and staff, MSU Infrastructure Planning and FacilitiesClark Construction, and architectural consultants and designers FTCH and LMN have worked together on project planning to present minimal disruptions. With project completion slated for the fall of 2019, most Broad College students will experience student life in the Pavilion.

View a live time-lapse video feed of the Pavilion progress.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: 2017- 18 Broad College of Business Speakers

The Sylvan T. Warrington Visiting Lectureship in Ethics and Leadership Speaker- Craig Menear (BA,’79, Human Resources); Chairman, CEO and President; The Home Depot, Inc., Atlanta, GA

The Broad College of Business hosts a diverse group of business leaders and guest lecturers who share cases and insights from their careers, connecting students to real-life examples of business concepts they’re studying in the classroom. Broad MBA students get an opportunity to learn about the range of career options available to them and the chance to expand their network through direct interaction with the visiting speakers.

Fall 2017
SPEAKERS

September 21, 2017
Mark Hawkins (BA,’81, SCM), EVP & Chief Financial Officer, Salesforce.com, Inc., San Francisco, CA

September 28, 2017
The Sylvan T. Warrington Visiting Lectureship in Ethics and Leadership- Craig Menear (BA,’79, Human Resources); Chairman, CEO and President; The Home Depot, Inc., Atlanta, GA

October 19, 2017
Omari Bouknight (BA,’99, SCM), Chief Commercial Officer, and Jeff Rynbrandt (MBA,’02, SCM), VP US Sales, CardioFocus Inc., Marlborough, MA

November 2, 2017
TBD

November 16, 2017
Matthew Jennings (MBA, ’88, Marketing); Chairman, CEO and President;  Phillips-Medisize, a Molex Company; Hudson, WI

Spring 2018
SPEAKERS

January 18, 2018
Brian Kesseler (BA,’88, Finance), CEO, Tenneco Inc., Lake Forest, IL

February 1, 2018
Gregory Longstreet (BA, ’92, General Business), CEO & President, CytoSport, Inc., Walnut Creek, CA

February 15, 2018
Timothy Griffith (BA, ’91, Economics), Sr. VP & Chief Financial Officer, Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Findlay, OH

March 15, 2018
TBD

April 12, 2018
Rajiv Gupta, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Delphi Automotive PLC; Member, Board of Directors of HP Inc. and The Vanguard Group, Inc.; Former Chairman and CEO, Rohm and Haas Company, Newtown Square, PA
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
EowynPhoenix wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:
Essay A (required)

Please provide 2 PowerPoint Slides-

Slide 1. should illustrate why Michigan State University’s MBA program should admit you.
Slide 2. should include a writing sample (minimum 350 words).

Is it just me or is this realllyyy vague?

I think in a way, MSU intentionally made slide 1 vague in order to see what the applicant would do with it. Considering they get a lot of applications, making it a slide format is one way to allow applicants to really visually make their response stand out, and illustrate their capabilities with Powerpoint at the same time. This also allows you to very concisely point out what sets you apart from other applicants. I essentially picked 4 reasons that made me a good candidate and differentiated me from the crowd, and put those on the slide with supporting information to back each one up. Something I'd recommend thinking about would be what YOU can bring to Broad. Why should they want you amongst their class of 2020?

Another thing to consider is, if you click on the video interview link, you'll see that the first video question is essentially going to ask you to pitch your slide 1 like a presentation (in the 2 minutes). At least, that was my first video interview question (I'm assuming it will be the same for everyone). They tell you this ahead of time once you click on the link as a warning to ensure that you have completed the "essays"/slides before doing the video interview questions.

Thanks for the heads-up on the video question. I read the directions that stated to finish the slides first, but had not ventured that far to see how it references back.
I had a similar idea to you, picking 3 or 4 pictures/phrases that showcased what I am passionate about and how they relate to me/leadership/etc.

Did you start the writing sample yet? Did you pick a topic admissions related or just a seperate sample that shows your writing ability? I have a few argumentative pieces I've typed up over the years, but none that are related to my professional career. Not sure if that is out of scope or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
For the writing sample, I just used an analytical case study I wrote for a project in my capstone management course in college. I'm thinking this will show my writing abilities while also showing some critical reasoning/business strategy. If you wanted to write something new to use, I'm sure that would also be acceptable.

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Moderator
Send PM
Did my video interview today...ugh, I am not a natural in front of the camera. It was harder than I expected for something so simple.

Oh yeah, and I cut one question off early thinking I had another retry, and I didn't. Oops.

I did interview on campus during my visit though and I think that went much better. I'll be submitting the application tomorrow after brushing up the slide/essay a bit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
I am also planning to submit my application in a day or two...did really bad in video essays..I am always uncomfortable infront of camera
BSchool Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Application is submitted. Let the waiting game begin.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
i fed the recommenders ' names today. The recommenders didnt receive a mail immediately. is there something to worry about?
BSchool Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
MonojitBhattacharjee wrote:
i fed the recommenders ' names today. The recommenders didnt receive a mail immediately. is there something to worry about?

Mine didn't get emails either. I asked Paul about this when I interviewed and he said that they are references, and don't need to submit anything. I simply let my recommenders know that they should expect a call at some point in the next month while they review my app.

If you are particularly worried, send admissions an email to see if there is a way to have the link sent out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Any one else with the same recommender mail issue?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
I seem to have run i to the same problem. My references do not have access to a personal phone at work.paul reolied that they will try to contact them on skype. Really do not know what to do now.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: #1 Time to Payback
When considering whether to pursue an MBA, many students think: “Is it worth two years and the tuition dollars?” One of the tools MBAs learn to assess investment decisions is a payback analysis.
But when looking for the quickest return on investment in an MBA education, Forbes ranked the Broad College of Business Full-Time MBA Program as one of the country’s best choices. According to its latest rankings of full-time MBA programs, released today, Broad students tied for the shortest payback time among all MBA programs ranked: just 3.6 years to make up the costs of their MBA degrees in additional compensation.

“The ranking demonstrates the value of our two-year MBA program. Students can invest two years and get back their investment quickly upon starting their new lives as a Broad MBA,” said Glenn Omura, associate dean for MBA and professional master’s programs. “This allows our students to get on with their lives and not be overburdened with debt. Our team is focused on customizing each of our MBAs’ educational experience, in a way that broadens their knowledge base across business disciplines and specific competence in their chosen fields that prepares them to solve problems creatively and innovatively and, ultimately, to make business happen.”

Another investment analysis tool is return on investment (ROI). Forbes bases its biennial MBA rankings entirely on calculations of ROI, which come from measuring compensation five years after graduation and subtracting tuition costs and salary forgone during school.

The 2017 ranking placed Michigan State University’s Full-Time MBA program No. 9 among public schools and in the top 25 overall, consistent with its position over the past decade.

The magazine surveyed the Class of 2012 and requested pre-MBA salaries and compensation for three of the first five years after receiving degrees. Forbes then compared their post-MBA compensation with their opportunity cost: tuition costs as well as the estimated salary they would have made had they stayed in their old jobs. Salary figures were adjusted to account for cost-of-living expenses, and the earnings gains were discounted using a rate tied to the discount rate large companies’ pension funds use.

For more information about this ranking, visit forbes.com.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
I submitted my application today. Now fingers crossed..!!
BSchool Moderator
Send PM
My status moved to "under review" the other day and I can't stop checking it. Logical me knows I won't have a decision for a while. Not so logical me is hoping to be wrong.

It's definitely my top choice, so I'm hoping that I'm not as bad when I submit my other apps. I can't imagine being this impatient for multiple schools lol.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Kudos
Just got an email inviting me to set up an interview! I submitted my application the first week of August.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts