Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [3]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Hi Guys,

I am planning to apply to Cornell Tech MBA in Round-2. Anybody else here who is applying before that? Also, any ideas for the creative essay, whether write in an essay format or some multimedia types..

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
I submitted my application R1 deadline Oct 5th, and today I received an invite for a 10-min phone screen for Wed Oct 18th! I went to an information session back in Sept and I thought they did away with phone screens and only focused on in person interviews. Did anyone else get an invite for a phone screen?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Jramirezberg,

Even I received an invite for 10-minute phone call. I am not sure what this means and what to expect from this discussion

Originally posted by GangScorsese on 16 Oct 2017, 23:52.
Last edited by GangScorsese on 17 Oct 2017, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GangScorsese,

Oh good! I hope it is just a faster way to get to the in-person interview. I'm in New York City.. so I'm kind of confused but I'm looking forward to it. Mandy just got back to me to confirm my time to talk tomorrow. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
No I have not got a reply yet.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.87
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Any interview invite yet?? are there any more R1 applicant??
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hope to see you all in the live chat with Cornell adcoms tomorrow. We will also have a Cornell Tech MBA student in the chat to answer your questions. More details can be found here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/chats-webina ... 51072.html
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Cornell Tech MBA admission director, Mandy Choie, and current student, Jonathan Kroll, are currently with us in the chat. If you are around, join the chat session to ask your questions to CTA team... https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Did anyone else get an invite to speak with the Admissions director? Does anyone have any idea when will they be coming up with the shortlist.?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you all for attending the recent Cornell live chat. Here are select questions regarding Tech MBA asked in the chat session. Full chat transcript can be downloaded here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p1952942

Q: Hi, thank you for doing this chat! Can you give us an indication when interview invites are starting to come out? Also how long does it take after the interview to get a decision?

Mandy: Interview invites from Cornell Tech have been sent for Round 1. We anticipate that the entire review process will take about 3-4 weeks.

Q: Hello Sir, Wish you a happy Diwali! I would like to ask about consulting opportunities in 2 yr. MBA vs Tech MBA

Jonathan: I can speak to Cornell Tech -- recruiting is in full swing here on Roosevelt Island. The digital arms of all major consulting firms have either been here or will be on campus recruiting in the near future. McKinsey was here yesterday.

Q: Hello, thanks for taking time to answer the question. I have 6 years working experience in FMCG industry and function as digital marketing, include digital marketing & e-commerce solution, I want to transfer to e-commerce tech company after MBA and take my family business in the long run. I have two questions (1) I don’t have a background in science and engineering but do have digital experience, also, I will relaunch the products of my family business and may need entrepreneurial experience, one of the reason I am interesting in tech mba. Is it suitable for me to apply for Tech Mba? (2) Is tech MBA also enjoy the resource for family business?

Mandy: For the Cornell Tech MBA, you DO NOT need a technical degree or specific technical background to be eligible for admission, though having that background would certainly help you. We are looking for students with a strong technical intuition and a few years of relevant work experience. I’m not quite sure what your second question is asking, but the JCTMBA will give you many resources, tools, and networks to help fulfill your entrepreneurial goals.

Q: Do you have any examples of what could be submitted for the creativity requirement in the application for the one year tech MBA? What background and characteristics make someone successful in Cornell’s one year tech mba?

Mandy: Creativity statements should be, as the name implies, creative! We have had students who have submitted videos, websites, slideshows, essays. We want to know who you are as a person beyond what your resume and grades can tell us. I would advise that you keep your CS succinct - videos should ideally be under 3 minutes long, and essays under 1000 words to give you an idea.

Q: Can you share the class profile of Cornell Tech’s MBA class?

Mandy: A typical MBA student from this year’s class is 29, has 5 year work experience, and about a 700 GMAT. We have students from all different backgrounds academically, culturally, and professionally.

Q: Hi, I’d like to learn a bit more about the one year tech MBA. You say that you look for someone with a "strong technical skill-set". Can you elaborate a little bit about that requirement?

Mandy: We keep our "technical" requirements broad because we welcome students from all different professional and academic backgrounds. If you don’t know how to code, for example, that’s no problem - we’ll teach you here. But if you have only been an investment banker or a project manager without any exposure to product development or other technically related fields, you might not be a strong fit for the program.

Q: With the new Cornell Tech campus on Roosevelt island, what is the expected class size for 2018?

Mandy: We anticipate a class of 80 for Fall 2018. The current class is 62.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
hello guys,

Can anyone share how was their interview experience?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply

Tues, Dec 12: Live Chat with Cornell Admissions

Date & Time: Thursday, December 12, 2017; 8 am Pacific Time (11am EDT, 9:30pm IST)

Join Link: GMATClub Chat Room

Admission panel participating in this chat:

Full Time MBA - Adcoms
  • Ann Richards, Senior Associate Director of Admissions & Director of Financial Aid, Latin America, East & Southeast Asia.
  • Lindsay Martin, Sr. Assistant Director Of Admissions & Financial Aid.
  • Chelsea Hann, Assistant Director of Admissions.

Full Time MBA - Students
  • Rick Rose, Two-year MBA ‘18
  • Ethan Erickson, Two-year MBA ‘19
  • Arjit Bhargava, One-year MBA ‘18

Cornell Tech MBA - Adcom
  • Mandy Choi, Assistant Director, Cornell Tech MBA Admissions.

Cornell Tech MBA - Student
  • Jonathan Kroll, Cornell Tech MBA'18.
Admitted
20 Nov, 2017
27 Dec 2017, 05:14
daewoo92 GMAT: 750, Q49, V42; GPA: 3.3; WE: 40 months; United Arab Emirates; via Email [#permalink]
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Admitted on: 2017/11/20
GMAT: 750, Q49, V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: 40 months
Heard back via: Email

Congrats! You applied in R2 or R1?
Denied
18 Jan, 2018
18 Jan 2018, 15:38
Private, via Email [#permalink]
Invited to Interview
17 Jan, 2018
19 Jan 2018, 20:05
mbadude2017 GMAT: 760, Q50, V42; GPA: 3.51; WE: 50 months; United States, MN; via Email [#permalink]
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tech MBA thread is very quiet this year. A current student wrote very helpful article on Tech MBA interviews last year. I am reposting it here for current applicants.

CAVU wrote:

What to expect before and during your interview:

Know that it's only 1 interview this year. In previous years there was a phone interview first, then an on-site interview. But the phone screen has been done away with.

You should expect to get a "case", which is more like a business scenario for which you have to give a recommendation on what course of action to take. This will come via email about 24 hours before your interview. You'll have to prepare a 5-minute presentation and give your reasoning and recommendations regarding the case as the first part of your interview.

The case is pretty ambiguous by design. It's a test of your logical reasoning and analytical abilities. Just make sure you back up your decisions or recommendations with solid logic or objective evidence. It's totally okay to invoke outside statistics, market research, or other evidence that you found while analyzing the scenario given in the case. The key here is to not make blanket statements or sweeping generalizations. Remember GMAT critical reasoning while preparing your presentation, and don't make false assumptions or improperly draw conclusions. If you make logical inferences and draw conclusions based on the evidence you present, you'll do just fine.

You won't be able to use a computer or white board but you can bring paper-based visual aides (just make sure you bring multiple copies).

The case portion is only 5 minutes long so pay close attention to timing. It goes by quickly and you'll want to make sure you get to say everything you intended to regarding the case. Definitely practice your timing before you arrive for the interview. After the presentation, you'll get a few follow up questions on the case.

After that, the interview is pretty standard. Be prepared to walk through your resume, answer a standard behavioral question or two, talk about your goals, explain why Cornell Tech, and then at the end, to ask your interviewer a few questions of your own.

The last part I actually think is the most important. The questions you ask really show your level of interest and fit with the program. Cornell Tech is so radically different from other MBA programs and there's so many exciting new things on the horizon, such as the Roosevelt Island campus, that there should be plenty of good questions to ask.

Since this isn't your traditional b-school program, I've been asked in the past what to wear. I had the same question myself when I interviewed, but I went with a casual suit and NO tie. I'm sure you could get away with something more casual, as I was still the most dressed up person at Cornell Tech that day (it's a very startup company like atmosphere), but I felt like it struck the right tone. That said, I would've felt ridiculous in a tie.

In general, it's really important to just relax and get in a good groove with your interviewer. This will help your case presentation flow naturally and your answers to other interview questions come off in a genuine light. Everything, in general, is really conversational and it's definitely not a high pressure atmosphere! The admissions staff is really warm and friendly and that definitely helps you to get comfortable.

Lastly, be sure to arrive a little earlier than you normally would, since you'll have to check-in with Google security in the lobby. There's also two entrances to the building (left and right if facing the building from 8th avenue). I went in the left entrance, which unbeknownst to me is just for Google employees, and had to walk back out and go to the entrance on the right-hand side, which took an extra 5 minutes or so just to get to the security desk.

Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews! Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts