Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Re: Calling all CMU Tepper MBA Applicants - (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
thecityjp wrote:
vkotharu wrote:
Abhigyanashakuntalam wrote:
Anyone who has already been interviewed, can you please share your experience?

Hey - I had my interview yesterday with Tepper.

The format seemed to follow the majority of what has been reported in last year's Intake thread. It was as follows:

- A statement that it was a blind interview. Only saw my CV but not my application. I was encouraged to repeat, if necessary, what I may have outlined in my essay(s).
- Walk me through your CV and how you got to where you are
- I am working as an Independent Consultant - so I was asked how difficult it was to get new clients
- Why I am doing the MBA
- Plan B, if Plan A does not work out

- Behavioral Interview Phase:
- Time when I had a difficult time working with some. What did I learn
- Time when I had learnt something when working with someone in a group. What did I learn

- Asked me about what I do outside of work (whether I learned something that was not related to work) - so I talked about me being a Muay Thai Practitioner

- Final Portion was questions about Tepper.

Compared to the past, I know the behavioral section was quite small - but I had problems with Skype every now and then and the call got dropped once as well. So it was a bit of a mess but hopefully I did enough.

Interviewer did keep me relaxed though I did feel nervous at times but that is to be expected I supposed. Anyway, hoping I dont get the "decline" email/message in December.

Can you elaborate on the questions about Tepper?

By that, I merely meant that it was time allotted for me to pose some questions to the Interviewer. I used the time to get an understanding of what motivated her to represent Tepper rather than ask questions about the program. I hope I dont offend anyone with this but I feel that if you are at the interview stage, it isnt necessary to ask questions about something to which you will likely have covered in your research stage.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all CMU Tepper MBA Applicants - (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
vkotharu wrote:
By that, I merely meant that it was time allotted for me to pose some questions to the Interviewer. I used the time to get an understanding of what motivated her to represent Tepper rather than ask questions about the program. I hope I dont offend anyone with this but I feel that if you are at the interview stage, it isnt necessary to ask questions about something to which you will likely have covered in your research stage.

Totally makes sense, I think you approached it well. Best of luck!

Originally posted by thecityjp on 24 Oct 2017, 08:30.
Last edited by thecityjp on 02 Nov 2017, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
whats happening with tepper this season..no further invites after the initial wave?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
preejitp wrote:
I finally saw the interview invite only on the 24th of October even though i got it on the 19th because the mail was filed under the promotions tab in gmail.

Invited to Interview on: 2017/10/19
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 770, Q51, V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: 60 months
Industry: Computer Hardware
Submited on: 2017/10/04
Invited on: 2017/10/19

Hey, do you mind sharing when did you receive your application complete mail?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Hi all,

I did my interview yesterday with Emily.

Questions asked were:
1. Why MBA?
2. Long-term and short-term goal
3. Alternative plan
4. Why Tepper
5. A time when I worked on some projects and learnt something unexpected/ non-intended
6. How my Operations experiences help my goal
7. A time when I had a disagreement/conflict within team
8. A time when I didn't have the information I needed. What did I do.
9. Experiences working with people from different cultures
10. Since I mentioned that I live in Singapore, a culturally diverse country - what are the differences I notice. Elaborate on my bosses who are from different countries
11. Any achievement that I am proud of outside of work (I shared about my learning a third language recently)
12. Any question to her

I realized that I got asked an awful lot of questions in 35 min. Not sure whether it's because I talked too fast... Maybe next time I will talk real slow to eat away the time...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.93
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Does anyone know if the deadlines for Online Hybrid program is same as those for FT program at Tepper?
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Are invites over for Tepper..seems very silent here
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Anyone planning to or started their application for Round 2?

Can anyone who has applied or been accepted speak to how important/how much weight the GMAT carries? Can it be the deciding factor? I'm worried about not getting high enough of a score for this program - I know that some schools place more emphasis on it than others so just curious about Tepper. Any thoughts would be helpful - thanks!

My background otherwise is:
Industry - Financial Services 5 years, Consulting 1 year
GPA 3.9
GMAT - to be taken next month
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JAE18 wrote:

Can anyone who has applied or been accepted speak to how important/how much weight the GMAT carries? Can it be the deciding factor? I'm worried about not getting high enough of a score for this program - I know that some schools place more emphasis on it than others so just curious about Tepper. Any thoughts would be helpful - thanks!

GPA 3.9

Also, forgot to ask if anyone knows about how long it takes for the Official GMAT score report take to get to Tepper? My exam is schedule for exactly 20 days before the Round 2 deadline so I'm concerned if that's enough time.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
JAE18 wrote:
JAE18 wrote:

GPA 3.9

Also, forgot to ask if anyone knows about how long it takes for the Official GMAT score report take to get to Tepper? My exam is schedule for exactly 20 days before the Round 2 deadline so I'm concerned if that's enough time.

Hey JAE18 ,

GMAT score does matter alot if you are from an over represented pool.

But it is not the deciding factor otherwise, provided the other parts of the applications are awesome.

It usually takes 7-14 days for the score to reach its destination. So, you are good in that respect.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
GMAT score does matter alot if you are from an over represented pool.

But it is not the deciding factor otherwise, provided the other parts of the applications are awesome.

It usually takes 7-14 days for the score to reach its destination. So, you are good in that respect.

Thanks

Hi Abhimanha, thanks for the insight. But how would you know if you're from an over represented pool?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
JAE18 wrote:
Hi Abhimanha, thanks for the insight. But how would you know if you're from an over represented pool?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi JAE18 ,

If you are not from India, china or few other Asian countries, I believe you are good.

All the best :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.11
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been invited to an interview and picked the date of 20th of Nov. I will be interviewed by Becky Orenstein.
I hope that everything goes well.
Will brief you as soon as possible guys.

Keep in touch
Wish You Best :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.11
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been invited to an interview and picked the date of 20th of Nov. I will be interviewed by Becky Orenstein.

Keep in touch
Wish You My Best :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ihsanakturk wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Keep in touch
Wish You My Best :thumbup:

Did you just receive an invite?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
JAE18 wrote:

GPA 3.9

Hi JAE.
I am yet to apply this year. But last year, I was accepted with 690 and then denied deferral. I am applying again in January round this year.
So, I'd say GMAT carries some importance, but by no means a deciding factor on its own - except when you are in a neck to neck competition with someone.
I'd say attend webinars, contact students, programs, etc. to make yourself known to the adcom / tepper.
Of course, it also matters what your professional progression looks like, how you volunteered / improved society, what you want to do with your MBA and while at school and so on...
As mundane and run of the mill it may sound, it is true with varying degrees for individual.
I also agree with Abhimahna that if you belong to overrepresented group - Indian/chinese, male, engineer, IT - you will have to work a little extra hard (and by little I mean 35% - 25% above average).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hiren2011 wrote:
Hi JAE.
I am yet to apply this year. But last year, I was accepted with 690 and then denied deferral. I am applying again in January round this year.
So, I'd say GMAT carries some importance, but by no means a deciding factor on its own - except when you are in a neck to neck competition with someone.
I'd say attend webinars, contact students, programs, etc. to make yourself known to the adcom / tepper.
Of course, it also matters what your professional progression looks like, how you volunteered / improved society, what you want to do with your MBA and while at school and so on...
As mundane and run of the mill it may sound, it is true with varying degrees for individual.
I also agree with Abhimahna that if you belong to overrepresented group - Indian/chinese, male, engineer, IT - you will have to work a little extra hard (and by little I mean 35% - 25% above average).

Hi Hiren, thanks for your reply and tips! When you say you were accepted but denied deferral - you mean you had to defer for 1 year but wasn't able to so you have to apply all over again?

As for the overrepresented group - i was under the impression that consulting was considered in that category as well.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts