Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: International student - hidden expenditures question [#permalink]
Kudos
kromay wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am from Russia and I have applied to several top-20 bschools in R1. I know that it may be too early for creating such a topic, there is one month before the final decision. However, I'd like to calculate my ability to finance my MBA.

At first I would like to mention my current assets. Now I have $102000 in cash. During first and second years of study my passive cash flow from business and apartment rent will bring me additional $70k. That is what I got for my MBA. So it is more or less around $170k.

I prefer not to consider scholarship options because it is too early for such considerations so let's calculate tuition in full. In the schools which have invited me to the interview, except for McCombs with $50k, tuition costs roughly $65k (Darden, Duke and Tepper). So it makes $130k for tuition for two years.

And here comes the interesting part. I am not sure on how to calculate living expenses and any hidden expenditures which are not listed on the websites but are need to be considered. I could find information regarding living at campus only in McCombs. Three bed room costs about $900 a month on their campus. And I am also not sure whether they provide campus spaces for everyone or selectively. Regarding Duke, Darden and Tepper I don't have information about their campus spaces and prices.
Also it is very interesting how much money is required during 2-year study on various events. I want to attend and participate in as much events as possible.

Important note: The comfort is the last thing I am gonna worry about during my study. So of course it depends. One can rent a house for $5k/month, another can live in campus for $900. My point of view is that I want to spend maximum on the study, clubs and events to take the most out of the program and spend minimum on living expenses and transportation for instance.

It would be great to hear from an alumni or a current student of Duke, Darden, Tepper or McCombs. How much money do you guys spend in total for the one year of study? Is it possible and reasonable to live on campus or it is better to pay more and rent a separate apartment/house? What are the hidden expenditures apart from clubs fee, which are need to be considered? How much money does a student require for a living per month (food, cafes, transportation, anything like that)?

I think most important is the networking cost. The networking events are usually scheduled a week in advance. Hence, the students often have to book last minute flights and hotels, which adds a lot to the expense.
This might help as it highlights the networking costs details
https://www.mbacrystalball.com/blog/2016 ... duce-cost/
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [7]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
International student - hidden expenditures question [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Welcome to GMAT Club!

Great job on saving your money and focusing on the important part of the MBA. However, you also want to have a bit of fun while at school - not often do we get a 2-year break from work, family, and other responsibilities. One can live cheaply for $1000/mo sharing an apartment or in a dorm room. There are pros and cons to both (separate long discussion). However, budgets can also be different. Here is what you should plan on and the ranges:

1. Laptop (if you don't have one) $1,000-2,000
2. Phone service ($40-$100 per month depending if you have your own phone or you want iPhoneX). Utilities such as internet, water, gas, power, will run you another $200/mo living on your own.
3. Insurance (probably included in the school estimate)
4. Car - if you are in LA or Texas or anywhere in the US except Chicago or New York, you will want to have a car. Even grocery shopping is challenging with bus/etc. Car insurance, gas, etc - this can be a range but assuming you buy a $13,000 vehicle, you should plan on $300-400 mo for insurance and gas. You can live without a car if you live on Campus, just then plan on taking uber and cabs everywhere.
5. Food/Drinks - this is a big range. I have had friends who were super cheap (myself included) and others who were used to a different lifestyle. If you drink, alcohol in bars and restaurants is very expensive. Beer is around $10 after tax and tip for the bartender and hard liquor is even more.
6. All prices in the US exclude sales Tax that tends to be 6-10% This applies to restaurants, cars, laptops, etc. Only a few items are excluded or if you buy online - hard to do with drinks.
7. School and personal trips - you will likely want to travel during the breaks - all of your friends will. There is an October break, Thanksgiving in Nov, Christmas, Winter break, and Spring break. That's a lot of trips and opportunities to spend money. Budget at least $500 for a trip. They can definitely get pricey. Many schools do have trips before/during school where everyone goes. Kellogg has a mystery trip - last year they went to Lithuania.
8. Stuff that you will need to live - plates, spoons, sheets, pillows - all that kind of stuff. Easily runs $500+. Keep in mind that apartments/houses in the US do not come with furniture but there is craigslist... which can get tricky getting a table or a bed if you don't have a car of your own
9. School books are super duper expensive and I don't feel schools do a good job of telling you just how badly expensive they are - plan to spend $600-1000 on books in your first semester until you wise up
10. Make sure all of your health and dental issues are handled before you arrive to the US. Get a driver's license if you don't have one and take some driving lessons - will be handy
11. Hopefully you will find a paid internship in the Summer - these are pretty common but some are still unpaid and may involve travel and additional rent
12. Traveling for interviews/recruiting/etc - this may be a weekend trip to NYC or a drive to a big city for a few interviews. Depends on the school.
13. Ideally - double your budget that the school recommends. If you come in only 50% above, you are doing great!

P.S. By the way, tomorrow we have a Youtube Live Webinar with Prodigy Financial - you may want to join in case you want to balance your cash/loan options
https://gmatclub.com/forum/6-steps-to-u ... 53043.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club!

Great job on saving your money and focusing on the important part of the MBA. However, you also want to have a bit of fun while at school - not often do we get a 2-year break from work, family, and other responsibilities. One can live cheaply for $1000/mo sharing an apartment or in a dorm room. There are pros and cons to both (separate long discussion). However, budgets can also be different. Here is what you should plan on and the ranges:

1. Laptop (if you don't have one) $1,000-2,000
2. Phone service ($40-$100 per month depending if you have your own phone or you want iPhoneX). Utilities such as internet, water, gas, power, will run you another $200/mo living on your own.
3. Insurance (probably included in the school estimate)
4. Car - if you are in LA or Texas or anywhere in the US except Chicago or New York, you will want to have a car. Even grocery shopping is challenging with bus/etc. Car insurance, gas, etc - this can be a range but assuming you buy a $13,000 vehicle, you should plan on $300-400 mo for insurance and gas. You can live without a car if you live on Campus, just then plan on taking uber and cabs everywhere.
5. Food/Drinks - this is a big range. I have had friends who were super cheap (myself included) and others who were used to a different lifestyle. If you drink, alcohol in bars and restaurants is very expensive. Beer is around $10 after tax and tip for the bartender and hard liquor is even more.
6. All prices in the US exclude sales Tax that tends to be 6-10% This applies to restaurants, cars, laptops, etc. Only a few items are excluded or if you buy online - hard to do with drinks.
7. School and personal trips - you will likely want to travel during the breaks - all of your friends will. There is an October break, Thanksgiving in Nov, Christmas, Winter break, and Spring break. That's a lot of trips and opportunities to spend money. Budget at least $500 for a trip. They can definitely get pricey. Many schools do have trips before/during school where everyone goes. Kellogg has a mystery trip - last year they went to Lithuania.
8. Stuff that you will need to live - plates, spoons, sheets, pillows - all that kind of stuff. Easily runs $500+. Keep in mind that apartments/houses in the US do not come with furniture but there is craigslist... which can get tricky getting a table or a bed if you don't have a car of your own
9. School books are super duper expensive and I don't feel schools do a good job of telling you just how badly expensive they are - plan to spend $600-1000 on books in your first semester until you wise up
10. Make sure all of your health and dental issues are handled before you arrive to the US. Get a driver's license if you don't have one and take some driving lessons - will be handy
11. Hopefully you will find a paid internship in the Summer - these are pretty common but some are still unpaid and may involve travel and additional rent
12. Traveling for interviews/recruiting/etc - this may be a weekend trip to NYC or a drive to a big city for a few interviews. Depends on the school.
13. Ideally - double your budget that the school recommends. If you come in only 50% above, you are doing great!

P.S. By the way, tomorrow we have a Youtube Live Webinar with Prodigy Financial - you may want to join in case you want to balance your cash/loan options
https://gmatclub.com/forum/6-steps-to-u ... 53043.html

Thank you very much bb. It was a very useful post.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
International student - hidden expenditures question [#permalink]
Great analysis bb :-) :thumbup:
I just wanted to have opinion on the ON campus jobs. If a student plans on getting a ON CAMPUS job like working in the admissions office or the library and earning the minimum $12 wage (Boston specific) to support his/her finances, wouldn't that come in handy? As per the current immigration laws, the international full time graduate students can work 20 hours per week.

12*20*4 => $960

Is it even feasible to pull off a part time job with the enervating MBA curriculum? Would you recommend that ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Most poor international students have campus jobs during the first year. I got one during the second semester when I realized I was going to be very poor. :-)

Many of the campus jobs allow for multi-tasking or doing your homework while you “work”. So it is not a bad idea per se. As an MBA student I was able to get some of the best and highly paid campus jobs ($20-30 per hour in today’s dollars) since I had work experience and was a lot more convincing than a 19-year old. There are also benefits - networking for example or gaining real work experience in some of these jobs (some worked at a library but I worked at the project management office and at the school events center).

Now, it comes as a double edged sword since you trade off your time that you could be using to better yourself, to study and research stock markets or recruit. I ended up quitting my job the end of the second year so I could focus on recruiting.

PS. You won’t keep the whole $12. There will be income taxes. Chances are you will come close however.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot