Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Denied
31 Jan, 2018
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Ross 2018 Applicants - Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Yesterday i got an e-mail from Ross inviting me to learn more about Ross alumni network.
I wonder if everybody is getting those or its a kind of hint that i am in... :-D :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
mrsonmax wrote:
Yesterday i got an e-mail from Ross inviting me to learn more about Ross alumni network.
I wonder if everybody is getting those or its a kind of hint that i am in... :-D :-D

I got the same email yesterday as well. Hopefully you're on to something with your second guess ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tlockee wrote:
mrsonmax wrote:

I got the same email yesterday as well. Hopefully you're on to something with your second guess ;)

I don't really think its a hint (why would the school do that?), but its so comforting to believe into something good :-D

good luck to all people waiting for decisions! 16 days to go!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
mrsonmax wrote:

Haha I think everyone got that email.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mrsonmax wrote:

I got it! lol
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well , maybe we are all in :cool: :cool:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
hiren2011 wrote:
stoiczoan wrote:
jeromemorrow wrote:

This is quite possible, but I genuinely believe I put in a strong effort on the essays. I genuinely love Michigan and while it is a back-up in the sense that I would go to H/S/W/B over Ross, I put Ross above most of the other M7 due to our family connections to the university and other non-career or academic reasons. It is fairly frustrating as I am in a weird spot where my stats are in-line but not guaranteed to any M7 school, so a 'back-up' is necessary.

If I think from Ross' point of view, a good yield strategy would be to keep you waitlisted till R3. That way you'll opt-out if you get one of your more preferred schools in R2, and still be available for them if you don't get anything in R2 and want Ross at the end. So in the end, they don't lose out on you as a great candidate, but will only make admission offer if there's a higher degree of certainty that you will join.

Agreed.
It is a business strategy schools employ - why wouldn't they, they are teaching those things to us!!

I disagree with the sentiment. Even if they think you are using Ross as a back up school I would think that they would still interview you if you’re a strong candidate to gauge your interest in the school because they could miss out on a lot of good candidates if they didn’t bother. Also I met several people at Ross who chose Ross over an M7 because of scholarships. Clearly they can be successful at luring candidates from top schools so I would be surprised if that was the reason behind not interviewing you

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
hiren2011 wrote:
Arjunarocks wrote:
Hey,
I see so many people posting their admission status- Denied/Admitted/WL. So these are for round 2?
I also had my interview for round 2, so shall I expect to hear the decision soon? Coz I thought they will come out with the decisions on the specified date of March 15 only.

You have a quite a run. Good job man.
If you don't mind, can you tell us your final decision and why? It would be interesting to know that.

Thanks man! I was negotiating with Marshall and Mccombs for an increase in scholarship but both schools refused. And I am not too keen on taking a huge loan considering the political and social scenario in US. So I might end up at Kelley due to financial considerations. Hoping to hear good news from Ross!

What about you? You too have great converts! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:

Agreed.
It is a business strategy schools employ - why wouldn't they, they are teaching those things to us!!

I disagree with the sentiment. Even if they think you are using Ross as a back up school I would think that they would still interview you if you’re a strong candidate to gauge your interest in the school because they could miss out on a lot of good candidates if they didn’t bother. Also I met several people at Ross who chose Ross over an M7 because of scholarships. Clearly they can be successful at luring candidates from top schools so I would be surprised if that was the reason behind not interviewing you

You can disagree all you like but that does not change the fact that “Yield” is a very important metric that affects a school’s reputation and ranking. And it is natural that schools try to manage it.

Personal anecdotes of people choosing Ross over M7 don’t provide evidence to disprove the claim. Of course there will be great candidates who get some M7 converts along with Ross, and may choose Ross. Ross is a great school.

But even within “great candidates” there’s a whole range, and some will be much much more attractive to schools than others.

The person above has 5 M7 interview invites! That’s a pretty stellar performance.. which means that the person is a highly attractive candidate for top schools. It will be easy for Ross AdCom to spot that, and strategize accordingly.

All schools do this. Booth etc will ding candidates who are H/S material in their opinion and may be using Booth as a backup. That doesn’t mean that there are no candidates with common admits across H/S/W/B. There will always be those.. but there will also be some whose profile is shouting out loud and clear that they will be going to a school ranked above.

As a final point, if Ross did not like this candidate they should have dinged him already. But they haven’t. A person with 5 M7 interview invites being sort of waitlisted by Ross is pointing towards a yield play.

Of course, no one knows for sure. But I’m just using available facts to reach a reasonable inference.

Originally posted by stoiczoan on 28 Feb 2018, 10:42.
Last edited by stoiczoan on 28 Feb 2018, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Send PM
stoiczoan wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
[quote="stoiczoan"][quote="jeromemorrow"]

This is quite possible, but I genuinely believe I put in a strong effort on the essays. I genuinely love Michigan and while it is a back-up in the sense that I would go to H/S/W/B over Ross, I put Ross above most of the other M7 due to our family connections to the university and other non-career or academic reasons. It is fairly frustrating as I am in a weird spot where my stats are in-line but not guaranteed to any M7 school, so a 'back-up' is necessary.

If I think from Ross' point of view, a good yield strategy would be to keep you waitlisted till R3. That way you'll opt-out if you get one of your more preferred schools in R2, and still be available for them if you don't get anything in R2 and want Ross at the end. So in the end, they don't lose out on you as a great candidate, but will only make admission offer if there's a higher degree of certainty that you will join.

Agreed.

[/quote]

You can disagree all you like but that does not change the fact that “Yield” is a very important metric that affects a school’s reputation and ranking. And it is natural that schools try to manage it.

Personal anecdotes of people choosing Ross over M7 don’t provide evidence to disprove the claim. Of course there will be great candidates who get some M7 converts along with Ross, and may choose Ross. Ross is a great school.

But even within “great candidates” there’s a whole range, and some will be much much more attractive to schools than others.

The person above has 5 M7 interview invites! That’s a pretty stellar performance.. which means that the person is a highly attractive candidate for top schools. It will be easy for Ross AdCom to spot that, and strategize accordingly.

All schools do this. Booth etc will ding candidates who are H/S material in their opinion and may be using Booth as a backup. That doesn’t mean that there are no candidates with common admits across H/S/W/B. There will always be those.. but there will also be some whose profile is shouting out loud and clear that they will be going to a school ranked above.

As a final point, if Ross did not like this candidate they should have dinged him already. But they haven’t. A person with 5 M7 interview invites being sort of waitlisted by Ross is pointing towards a yield play.

Of course, no one knows for sure. But I’m just using available facts to reach a reasonable inference.[/quote]

First of all. I never said yield wasn’t important or that this wasn’t a fact. I said I was surprised that they haven’t at least interviewed him even if they believe that they may be the back up school. Not sure where you got that from.

Second, you’re right none of us know for sure including you. These are just our opinions I was simply stating mine and the reasoning behind it. Feel free to disagree but it doesn’t mean either of us is right. Just two different ways of looking at the same information.

Admissions is a black box. Just because you get in or get interviews at one school doesn’t mean that you automatically will get interviews at another because of that school’s rank. H/S/W/B are all excellent schools but they have very different cultures compared to Ross. Maybe this person isn’t a culture fit and that’s why they didn’t get an interview. You don’t know. No one does and I think it’s a disservice to both applicants and the schools to assert your opinion as the reason behind a decision like it is fact when there are multiple possibilities.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
hah.. the discussion got a pretty good point of views and arguments.
i think that even the WL has two parts: 1 - that we like this candidate but there are more similar to and may be better available, and 2 - we really like this candidate, but he/she may be a flight risk (hurting yield).
i see point in FuturePM's argument that at least one should have been interviewed. but, not interviewing doesn't mean they are missing out. each school spreads out their class and thus he may be among those strong ones, but still in abundance - by career goal, industry (past and future), etc. criteria.
at this stage, it is not the applicant's fault, just the competition he/she may be facing too.
the candidate put that he has familial ties and he ranks the school highly too. but it is difficult for him to convey it to school without an interview.

but in the end, it is still yield factor at play, in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
stoiczoan wrote:

Of course, no one knows for sure. But I’m just using available facts to reach a reasonable inference.

First of all. I never said yield wasn’t important or that this wasn’t a fact. I said I was surprised that they haven’t at least interviewed him even if they believe that they may be the back up school. Not sure where you got that from.

Second, you’re right none of us know for sure including you. These are just our opinions I was simply stating mine and the reasoning behind it. Feel free to disagree but it doesn’t mean either of us is right. Just two different ways of looking at the same information.

Admissions is a black box. Just because you get in or get interviews at one school doesn’t mean that you automatically will get interviews at another because of that school’s rank. H/S/W/B are all excellent schools but they have very different cultures compared to Ross. Maybe this person isn’t a culture fit and that’s why they didn’t get an interview. You don’t know. No one does and I think it’s a disservice to both applicants and the schools to assert your opinion as the reason behind a decision like it is fact when there are multiple possibilities.

I wasn't really 'asserting my opinion as the reason behind a decision like it is fact'. I just described how I used certain "facts" (1- yield is important and schools manage it, 2- applicant with 5 M7 interview invites hasn't been denied or invited by Ross) and critical reasoning to reach an inference which I felt seems plausible.

I don't think that clearly describing my thought process and reaching an inference (which I never claim as "fact") is a "disservice to both applicants and the schools".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
stoiczoan wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
stoiczoan wrote:

I wasn't really 'asserting my opinion as the reason behind a decision like it is fact'. I just described how I used certain "facts" (1- yield is important and schools manage it, 2- applicant with 5 M7 interview invites hasn't been denied or invited by Ross) and critical reasoning to reach an inference which I felt seems plausible.

I don't think that clearly describing my thought process and reaching an inference (which I never claim as "fact") is a "disservice to both applicants and the schools".

And so did I, my inference just happened to be different than yours but instead of recognizing that there are multiple possibilities, your response came off as very rude by saying “you can disagree all you want it doesn’t change the fact”.

It just came off as you wouldn’t entertain any other possibilities. This is the disservice I referenced above.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
And so did I, my inference just happened to be different than yours but instead of recognizing that there are multiple possibilities, your response came off as very rude by saying “you can disagree all you want it doesn’t change the fact”.

It just came off as you wouldn’t entertain any other possibilities. This is the disservice I referenced above.

Oh well.. text as a medium has some limitations. I wrote my post in a calm and easy going tone, but I can understand it came off as rude.
Maybe i should have added a smiley :-)

And just to conclude on this, the "fact" you reference within quotes was related to Yield and its importance, not to my inference/conclusion.
Anyway, I think we have both elaborated on our points and clearly we have a difference of opinion... which is perfectly fine.

stoiczoan wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Everybody love everybody...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Did anyone who was waitlisted without interview in R1 receive an interview invite yet?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
No - was waitlisted round 1 without interview and haven't received anything yet. Haven't been denied yet either though so that's something. Have you submitted any updates?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45  ...  48   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts