Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [9]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [4]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! [#permalink]
Kudos
In!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! [#permalink]
Please share experience

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
Kudos
In for R1. Good luck to everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
viveknegi wrote:
Please share experience

Posted from my mobile device

What experience are you enquiring about mate?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [12]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Advice from the HBS class of 2018

Good luck to everyone applying! Just wanted to share some advice I got from the outgoing class hopefully y'all will replace. It might not help you write better essays, but it will definitely make you wiser.

Ditch imposter syndrome

Many people at Harvard suffer from imposter syndrome; they worry that they were admissions mistakes. The truth is that life is too short for such self-doubt and that no one really “deserves” the benefits of the program. Instead of worrying about cosmic fairness in your admission, focus instead of living your life so that you are worthy of the gifts you are give.

Whiteboard your priorities

The currents at HBS are strong. Career events are geared to push you towards consulting and investment banking, the social hierarchy pushes you to rack up large bills drinking and traveling, and the curriculum implicitly pushes you to value higher paying jobs. If you don’t set your heading before you embark on your HBS journey, they will take you out to sea. To keep yourself on track, purchase a white board and stick somewhere in your apartment where you will see it every day. On the whiteboard, write down your 1-3 priorities for the coming year. As you consider whether to attend a lecture, social event, or weekend trip, check the opportunity against your criteria. If it doesn’t match, then decline with confidence.

Timebox your activities

If you plan on spending one hour on a case, pull out a stop watch and set it for 60 minutes. When it goes off, wherever you are in your reading or analysis, stop! There is always more work to do, more things to read. If you don’t put open-ended tasks into boxes they will eat up all the time you’re saving for other valuable activities.

Embrace unlearning

We all come with prejudices and misconceptions. Lean into experiences where you find your view challenged and when you find that they are wrong, change them!

There are a bunch more here that I had to cut for space, but feel free to check them out too. Good luck on this journey! In the end, it is absolutely worth it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
NateFromHBS wrote:
Good luck to everyone applying! Just wanted to share some advice I got from the outgoing class hopefully y'all will replace. It might not help you write better essays, but it will definitely make you wiser.

Thank you NateFromHBS for your advice and insights. We look forward to more precious insights and tips from you :-)
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi all -

As I have some clients already in the thick of their HBS essay work, I thought I would pass along some advice: when HBS asks "what more would you like us to know," the key word is "more." Meaning that they aren't looking for you to repeat information they can already find elsewhere in your materials. This is a chance to fill in the blanks for them and get more personal. Tell them what drives you, important moments from your past that shaped you, WHY you have the goals you do, WHY you've made the career moves you've made -- stuff like that. Rehashing accomplishments or explaining "why HBS" (something they have literally never asked in any year) is likely to bore them and result in a ding.

They are looking to be moved or to be curious enough about you that they MUST meet you via an interview.

Also, resist the temptation to write a long essay. HBS has always valued succinct communication. If you're stretching past 1200 words, you're doing it wrong.

Hope that helps and best of luck to all!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Hi all -

As I have some clients already in the thick of their HBS essay work, I thought I would pass along some advice: when HBS asks "what more would you like us to know," the key word is "more." Meaning that they aren't looking for you to repeat information they can already find elsewhere in your materials. This is a chance to fill in the blanks for them and get more personal. Tell them what drives you, important moments from your past that shaped you, WHY you have the goals you do, WHY you've made the career moves you've made -- stuff like that. Rehashing accomplishments or explaining "why HBS" (something they have literally never asked in any year) is likely to bore them and result in a ding.

They are looking to be moved or to be curious enough about you that they MUST meet you via an interview.

Also, resist the temptation to write a long essay. HBS has always valued succinct communication. If you're stretching past 1200 words, you're doing it wrong.

Hope that helps and best of luck to all!

Thank you Erika for the helpful advice :thumbup: I feel that's a nice starting point you have given. We applicants can start brainstorming on those lines to create an initial draft. :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
In! :idontknow:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Schools: LBS '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I wish everyone all the best in their applications! Harvard is the dream.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos