Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [102]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [24]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Macrophages are cells that play a role in the response of the immune s [#permalink]
Kudos
C.

I thought B was close too, I eliminated B because it uses "fight off most types of bacterial infections", which is extreme.

There was one more thing that bothered me, argument says "macrophages" plays role in providing immune system against bacterial infection, so nitrate level could just be a side effect and that doesn't mean when you high level of nitrate level, it can make "macrophages"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [6]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Macrophages are cells that play a role in the response of the immune s [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Macrophages are cells that play a role in the response of the immune system of mice and other mammals to invasive organisms such as bacteria. Unlike other mice, mice that are genetically incapable of making these particular cells do not show elevated levels of nitrates when infected with bacteria.

The statements above, if true, provide the most support for which of the following conclusions?

A. Mice that are unable either to make macrophages or to make them in sufficient numbers will protect themselves from bacterial infections in some other way.
B. Mice that show elevated levels of nitrates can easily fight off most types of bacterial infections.
C. In mice, macrophages play a role in the production of nitrates or inhibit a process by which nitrates are broken down or otherwise eliminated.
D. When a healthy mouse becomes infected with an invasive organism, the number of macrophages in the mouse's body decreases.
E. Injections of nitrates into mice that lack macrophages will not enhance the ability of these animals' immune systems to fight off infection.

Kindly provide your answer and reason for eliminating other answer choices
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [6]
Given Kudos: 1946
Send PM
Kudos
RaviChandra wrote:
Macrophages are cells that play a role in the response of the immune system of mice and other mammals to invasive organisms such as bacteria. Unlike other mice, mice that are genetically incapable of making these particular cells do not show elevated levels of nitrates when infected with bacteria.

The statements above, if true, provide the most support for which of the following conclusions?

A. Mice that are unable either to make macrophages or to make them in sufficient numbers will protect themselves from bacterial infections in some other way.
B. Mice that show elevated levels of nitrates can easily fight off most types of bacterial infections.
C. In mice, macrophages play a role in the production of nitrates or inhibit a process by which nitrates are broken down or otherwise eliminated.
D. When a healthy mouse becomes infected with an invasive organism, the number of macrophages in the mouse's body decreases.
E. Injections of nitrates into mice that lack macrophages will not enhance the ability of these animals' immune systems to fight off infection.

OA:Soon

Kindly provide your answer and reason for eliminating other answer choices

I will go for C. As it seems to be Cause and Effect kind of relationship. In the 2nd line it is mentioned that "mice which are incapable of making Macrophages cells do not show elevated levels of Nitrates when infected with Bacteria." So bacteria doesnot cause the nitrate levels thus the macrophages are responsible in the production of nitrates. Thus will go with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
A:Mice that are unable either to make macrophages or to make them in sufficient numbers will protect themselves from bacterial infections in some other way.( Wrong Answer : Nothing is there in the argument that supports this type of conclusion.)

B:Mice that show elevated levels of nitrates can easily fight off most types of bacterial infections.( Wrong Answer : This sort of connection between elevated levels of nitrates and bacterial infections is not reflected in the argument.)

C:In mice, macrophages play a role in the production of nitrates or inhibit a process by which nitrates are broken down or otherwise eliminated.( Correct Answer : The last line of the argument i,e Unlike …………….bacteria points to this kind of a role played by macrophages )

D:When a healthy mouse becomes infected with an invasive organism, the number of macrophages in the mouse body decreases.( Wrong Answer : This is nowhere indicated in the argument.)

E:Injections of nitrates into mice that lack macrophages will not enhance the ability of these animals immune systems to fight off infection.(Wrong Answer : This is out of scope of the argument.)

Hit kudos and visit out page : https://www.byjus.com/free-gmat-prep
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
Here are some of my takes, please correct me if I am wrong.

Q: The statements above, if true, provide the most support for which of the following conclusions?
-From the passage, we know that Macrophages will fight off bacteria. However, mice without Macrophages will not shown elevate level of nitrate when infected. In short, when Macrophages fight off bacteria the nitrate level will elevate. But we do not know which cause which and what really kills bacteria(i.e. either Macrophages produce nitrate to fight off bacteria OR nitrates can be the wastes after Macrophages fights off bacteria). What we know is the Macrophages is something to do with the level of nitrates and Macrophages fight off bacteria.

A:Mice that are unable either to make macrophages or to make them in sufficient numbers will protect themselves from bacterial infections in some other way.
-Wrong. Out of scope. We are not discussing "some other way" of the immune system.

B:Mice that show elevated levels of nitrates can easily fight off most types of bacterial infections.
-Wrong. From the passage, we only know that Macrophages fight off the bacteria and linked with the level of nitrates. (or maybe nitrates just the wastes after Macrophages fight off bacteria.)

C:In mice, macrophages play a role in the production of nitrates or inhibit a process by which nitrates are broken down or otherwise eliminated.
-Correct Answer. Macrophages linked with level of nitrates. This choice clearly explains that Macrophages plays a role in the production with nitrate.

D:When a healthy mouse becomes infected with an invasive organism, the number of macrophages in the mouse’s body decreases.
-Wrong. Out of scope. Passage does not mention the relationship between total number of Macrophages and bacteria.

E:Injections of nitrates into mice that lack macrophages will not enhance the ability of these animals’ immune systems to fight off infection.
-Wrong. Same as choice B, we do not know the the exact role of nitrates in this defensive mechanism.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM

(A) Mice that are unable either to make macrophages or to make them in sufficient numbers will protect themselves from bacterial infections in some other way. -We don't know whether such mice will be able to defend themselves.

(B) Mice that show elevated levels of nitrates can easily fight off most types of bacterial infections. -We don't know this. Maybe the nitrate levels increased because of something else.

(C) In mice, macrophages play a role in the production of nitrates or inhibit a process by which nitrates are broken down or otherwise eliminated. -Correct. Macrophages maybe one source of nitrate's generation in mice.

(D) When a healthy mouse becomes infected with an invasive organism, the number of macrophages in the mouse’s body decreases. -Don't know

(E) Injections of nitrates into mice that lack macrophages will not enhance the ability of these animals’ immune systems to fight off infection. -Don't know
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V29
Send PM
I'm struggling to understand why C is the correct choice. Can someone please explain how it links to the argument?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [5]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos