Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [156]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [60]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [10]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
anonymousvn wrote:
A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.

(A) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(B) A derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, of the Madagascar periwinkle,
(C) A Madagascar periwinkle derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(D) The Madagascar periwinkle has a derivative which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, that
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients

OA is E. Please explain why? I go with C

C is wrong because it conveys that the madagascar periwinkle derivative itself is cultivated. Madagascar periwinkle is cultivated, not its derivative
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.

(A) A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(B) A derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, of the Madagascar periwinkle,
(C) A Madagascar periwinkle derivative, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
(D) The Madagascar periwinkle has a derivative which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, that
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients

OA is E. Please explain why? I go with C

The Madagascar periwinkle is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care but not the The derivative of periwinkle .
In "C" the meaning goes as follow :

The derivative of Madagascar periwinkle is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.

Which is why the same option is ruled out [:)] ..

The answer should be "E" ..hope this will help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
noboru wrote:
33. A substance derived from the Madagascar periwinkle, which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients, is cultivated in China as part of a program to integrate traditional herbal medicine into a contemporary system of health care.

(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,

IMO E...
Madagascar periwinkle is cultivated in ................ not derivative as in C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Look at the non-underlined part for clues:

,_______________ is cultivated in China as part => From this usage it is clear that we need a subject for the action verb "is cultivated "(what is cultivated) . Definitely the substance is not cultivated, neither is the derivative cultivated => A, B and C out. D is just absurd as that is used to modify patients ...

E is the obvious winner.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1082 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Is it not the substance derived from ....... cultivated in china ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
shikhar wrote:
Is it not the substance derived from ....... cultivated in china ???

If there were no "is" in the original sentence, the usage would be correct

The substance derived from grass cultivated in china => here cultivated in china is modifying the noun (grass).

But you cannot say,

The substance derived from grass is cultivated in china => Incorrect. This says "The substance derived from grass" is actually cultivated => something that is absolutely absurd. The substance is not cultivated, the grass is cultivated.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Bookmarks
--> meaning changed
(E) The Madagascar periwinkle, a derivative of which has proved useful in decreasing mortality among young leukemia patients,
--> correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1082 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos