Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [69]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [29]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [22]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: interesting question in Geometry [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
amirdubai1982 wrote:
If 10, 12 and 'x' are sides of an acute angled triangle, how many integer values of 'x' are possible?
(A) 7
(B) 12
(C) 9
(D) 13
(E) 11

Please answer with details in logic order. Thanks to all.

Any side of triangle is less than the sum of other two sides so in this case x < 22.
Also any side of triangle is larger than positive difference of other two sides so x > 2.
2 < x < 22
Total of 19 possible values.
As this is acute angled triangle x must be largest hence x > 12 and x < 22 so total of 9 possible values hence C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
acute angle traingle - all angles in the traingle has to be less than 90.
Two possibilities lets take a or almost a right traingle(89 as one angle -> and the maximum value of the traingle will be somewhat closer to the hypotenue of the traingle.

let x be the other side .. if x is hypotenue it value is less than (12 ^ 2 + 10 ^ 2)^1/2 < 16 .. so max value is 15
let x be the other side .. if 12 is hypotenue, then value of x is greater than (12 ^ 2 - 10 ^ 2)^1/2 > 6 .. so min value is 7

idea behind this ... draw a traingle with 10 as base and 12 as the height and angle formed between these 2 is right traingle. other side is hypotenue and the max value will be 15.
then slide the side 12 towards right slowly and at some point side 12 will become hypotense .. and if you move that afterwards towards rights, then angle between 10 and x will be >90

so possibilities = 9

C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
bangalorian2000 wrote:
amirdubai1982 wrote:
If 10, 12 and 'x' are sides of an acute angled triangle, how many integer values of 'x' are possible?
(A) 7
(B) 12
(C) 9
(D) 13
(E) 11

Any side of triangle is less than the sum of other two sides so in this case x < 22.
Also any side of triangle is larger than positive difference of other two sides so x > 2.
2 < x < 22
As this is acute angled triangle x must be largest hence x > 12 and x < 22 so total of 9 possible values hence C.

x need not have to the largest side - take an example where x=21 .. this would be an obtuse angled traingle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [12]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
amirdubai1982 wrote:
(A) 7
(B) 12
(C) 9
(D) 13
(E) 11

IMO C...

The catch in the acute angled triangle.

Consider the figures attached...

Case 1:
\(x < sqrt{12^2 + 10^2}\) i.e. \(x < 16\)

Case 2:
\(x > sqrt{12^2 - 10^2}\) i.e. \(x > 6\)

Therefore x ranges from 7 to 15 = 9 Values...
Attachments

1.png
1.png [ 21.93 KiB | Viewed 59070 times ]

SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Ans C -9

first of using some of two sides greater than third side gives 2<x<22

now using \(Cos A = \frac{(b^2 + c^2 - a^2)}{2bc}\)

for cos A to be +ve sum of squares of 2 sides should be > square of third side
( equality will come when right angled, if its right angled then its not acute angled )

this gives 6 < x < 16
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
There are like 3 different solutions that all give the same answer but different values for x. Could someone please look at it once again?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance,IT Consulting
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Doubt Clrd :) but just a point in case, if it traingle would have been an obtused triangle

The points would have been b/w 2<x<6 and 15<x<22

Regards
J
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
chix475ntu wrote:
bangalorian2000 wrote:
amirdubai1982 wrote:
(A) 7
(B) 12
(C) 9
(D) 13
(E) 11

2 < x < 22

x need not have to the largest side - take an example where x=21 .. this would be an obtuse angled traingle.

Your explanations is easy to assimilate , but i'm having a doubt (may be a silly one) - how do we deicide that x HAS to be the largest side ?
Please enlighten.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
girisshhh84 wrote:
how do we deicide that x HAS to be the largest side ?
Please enlighten.

I am not sure I understand your question very well... But let me try.

In an obtuse angled triangle, only one angle can be more than 90 (because the sum of all angles has to be 180). The side opposite that angle is largest. The side opposite the smallest angle is the smallest side.
Similarly, in a right angled triangle, the side opposite 90 degree angle is greatest (the hypotenuse).
In our question, we have to consider only acute triangles. Therefore, we are working with right triangles. The values of x we obtain from them will be very close to the smallest/greatest that are acceptable.

In the first figure, we are trying to calculate the smallest value of x. In that case, 12 will be the hypotenuse of the triangle. x will be less than 12. The angle opposite x is the smallest possible (if you look at the second figure, the angle opposite x is getting greater)

In the third figure, angle opposite to x has become the greatest possible i.e. 90 degrees (actually it should be slightly less than 90). Here x will be the hypotenuse and hence the greatest side of the triangle. x can't be any greater because then the triangle will become obtuse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
girisshhh84 wrote:
how do we deicide that x HAS to be the largest side ?
Please enlighten.

I am not sure I understand your question very well... But let me try.

In an obtuse angled triangle, only one angle can be more than 90 (because the sum of all angles has to be 180). The side opposite that angle is largest. The side opposite the smallest angle is the smallest side.
Similarly, in a right angled triangle, the side opposite 90 degree angle is greatest (the hypotenuse).
In our question, we have to consider only acute triangles. Therefore, we are working with right triangles. The values of x we obtain from them will be very close to the smallest/greatest that are acceptable.

In the first figure, we are trying to calculate the smallest value of x. In that case, 12 will be the hypotenuse of the triangle. x will be less than 12. The angle opposite x is the smallest possible (if you look at the second figure, the angle opposite x is getting greater)

In the third figure, angle opposite to x has become the greatest possible i.e. 90 degrees (actually it should be slightly less than 90). Here x will be the hypotenuse and hence the greatest side of the triangle. x can't be any greater because then the triangle will become obtuse.

HI Karishma ,
Thank you , i could understand the explanation as you told me .
But Still have a doubt with 'bangalorian2000's statement "As this is acute angled triangle x must be largest hence x > 12 and x < 22 so total of 9 possible values hence C."
To help me understand , pls tell me when we have
2 < x < 22 i.e. Total of 19 possible values.
How many possible values of x when obtuse triangle ?
How many values of x when right triangle.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Send PM
Kudos