Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [210]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [98]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [9]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Because fish look through water, their eyes are very different from [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
goalsnr wrote:
Because fish look through water, their eyes are very different from a mammal.

A. from a mammal
B. from a mammal’s
C. from that of a mammal
D. than that of a mammal
E. than is a mammal’s

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Pronouns + Subject-Verb Agreement

• "different from" is the correct idiomatic construction.
• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "their (fish) eyes" to "a mammal"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "eyes" with the plural verb "are". Further, Option B correctly compares "their (fish) eyes" with "a mammal's (eyes)". Additionally, Option B avoids the pronoun error seen in Options C and D, as it utilizes no pronouns. Besides, Option B correctly uses the idiomatic construction "different from".

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "eyes" with the singular pronoun "that".

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "eyes" with the singular pronoun "that". Further, Option D incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "different than"; please remember, "different from" is the correct idiomatic construction.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "eyes" with the singular verb "is". Further, Option E incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "different than"; please remember, "different from" is the correct idiomatic construction.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Because fish look through water, their eyes are very different from [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Please see if this explanation helps explaining B ( it is not my explanation - im just copying it from somewhere)

The presence of 'their eyes' indicates that, either the possesive form or 'that of' should appear in the 2nd part of the comparison in the plural form to maintain parallelism.
Hence i will look for 'from those of mammals'.

Based on above explanation C is incorrect choice and we are left with B
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Re: Because fish look through water, their eyes are very different from [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
I think comparison provided in option B is not correct, because mammal's leaves comparison ambiguous.

what is mammal's ? eyes or teeth or ears...

I remember I have seen discussion on such similar comparison on some thread earlier.
Tom's shoes are better than John's ... such similar sentence was discussed and it was considered incorrect because of vague nature of 's; comparison is not definitive.

Dear PiyushK,
My friend, I don't know who was in those discussions, but with all due respect, the conclusion reached in those discussion was flatly incorrect.

The comparisons:
Because fish look through water, their eyes are very different from a mammal's.
Tom's shoes are better than John's.
Brazil's economy is larger than India's.

are all 100% correct and 100% unambiguous. The second is an informal subject, but the first or third could be correct on the GMAT. In fact, the first WAS correct on the GMAT, in the paper test days. That alone should be proof that this is 100% acceptable by GMAT standards.

Because of parallelism, the second object is 100% clear. Remember: comparisons are a special case of parallelism.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
mustdoit wrote:
Q. Because fish look throguh water, their eyes are very different from a mammal.

a. From a mammal
b. from a mammal's
c. from that of a mammal
d. than that of a mammal
e. than is a mammal's

OA:

Q. Because fish look throguh water, their eyes are very different from a mammal.

a. From a mammal eyes were compared to mamal, parallel issue
b. from a mammal's
c. from that of a mammal eyes are plural, should use 'those' instead
d. than that of a mammal idiom error, different from is preferred over different than
e. than is a mammal's subject-verb, eyes are plural, 'is' is grammatically wrong, also 'than' as idiom error
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AmoyV wrote:
Sorry to open an old thread but I had a concern.

From the reference of the question ("their eyes"), we know that "fish" is taken as a plural. So shouldn't we compare plural with plural - in other words, fish (a plural) with mammals (a plural). In this sense shouldn't Choice B read as:

from mammals'

*instead of*

from a mammal's?

Dear AmoyV,
My friend, I am happy to respond. :-) First of all, there's no problem opening an old thread if you have a new question about it: that's exactly the correct thing to do. The mistake people, at least newbies, often make on GC is to open a brand new thread for a question that has already been posted multiple times. What you did is exemplary and requires no apology. :-)

Here's the question again:
Q. Because fish look through water, their eyes are very different from a mammal.
A. from a mammal
B. from a mammal's
C. from that of a mammal
D. than that of a mammal
E. than is a mammal's

Here's a funny thing about comparisons. We absolutely need to compare like to like. The prompt sentence is obviously incorrect, because it doesn't make logical sense to compare an eye to a whole animal. We have to compare like to like, BUT (and this is a big "BUT'), the two terms of the comparison don't have to match in every last detail. Singular to plural is fine when we are talking about animals.

Part of this is the scientific idiom in English. When we say "the eye of a mammal," we are talking about a common structure shared by a large number of different species. The phrase is what we might call "implicitly plural" (my made-up term) even though it is explicitly grammatically singular. Making this explicitly plural ("the eyes of mammals") sounds a bit awkward: it's not what is common in scientific analysis of the natural world.

Part of this also is that when some students learn the matching patterns of parallelism and comparisons, they go overboard and get rigid about matching things down to the tiniest detail. This is too much. For example, it's perfectly correct to have verbs in parallel that have different tenses:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... rb-tenses/
There's always a danger of getting too mathematical and rule-based about grammar. Language is living, and you have to develop a feel for the living language.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
The options can easily be narrowed down to 2 and 3.

1. Incorrect comparison of eyes with mammal
2. Correct
3. That of a mammal should be those of a mammal since "their eyes" is plural and "that" is also singular, so it wouldn't logically refer to the plural "eyes".
4. That of a mammal should be those of a mammal since "their eyes" is plural and "that" is also singular, so it wouldn't logically refer to the plural "eyes".
5. This again has an issue with the number.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmattesttaker2 wrote:
Hello,

Can you please help with this:

Because fish look through water, their eyes are very different from a mammal.

A. from a mammal
B. from a mammal’s
C. from that of a mammal
D. than that of a mammal
E. than is a mammal’s.

The OA is (B). I am wondering if (C) should be read as "from (those) of a mammal's". Should we be using "those" here instead of "that" since "those" refers to the eyes of the mammal whereas "that" will refer to the eyes of the fish? Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Sri

Dear gmattesttaker2,
I'm happy to respond to your private message. :-)

You are correct. Right now, in its current form, (C) is wrong because it seems to imply that, as a general rule, mammals have only one eye. Changing this to "from those of a mammal" would be 100% correct.

Notice that (B) is correct because, among other things, the possessive leaves open the number of eyes, so this is completely consistent with the correct number of eyes. As usual, this is another brilliant question from GMAC.

Also, notice what you have is quite wrong: it is ALWAYS wrong to use the possessive inside an "of" preposition for the same possessor. That is redundant and wrong.
correct: "those of a mammal"
incorrect: "those of a mammal's"

relative pronouns like "that","which" are plural/singular depending on the antecedent.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM