Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [80]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [47]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
 Q44  V22
Send PM
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white [#permalink]
Doesn't 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. play any role... plzz explain..im missing somewhere..

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
 Q44  V22
Send PM
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white [#permalink]
Thanks Bunuel.. Its crystal clear now.. now even ur 1st ans to this Q explains everything very clearly...
Thanks once again... +1...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [5]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
TheSituation wrote:
I've been banging my head against the wall on this one... someone please give me a simple straightforward solution and assurance that it was a very difficult question lol.

A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one-gallon or half- gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?
(A) 2
(B) 2.5
(C) 3
(D) 3.5
(E) 4

OA:

white = 3/8
black = 5/8

Combine both and that equals 1 gallon

Multiply each by two to get 2 gallons

(3/8)*2 + (5/8)*2 = 2

(3/8)*2 = 6/8 = 3/4 = .75
(5/8)*2 = 10/8 = 5/4 = 1.25

You need .75 gallons of white but since it comes in 1/2 or 1 you need 1 gallon
You need 1.25 gallons of black but since it comes in 1/2 or 1 you need 1.5

1+1.5 = 2.5
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All DS Mixture Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=43
All PS Mixture Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=114
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Let one gallon be 80 liters. ( Assume smartly)

30 White +50 black = 80liters

According 2 question, we need 2 gallons i.e- 160 liters. ( multiply above equation with 2)

60W+100B=160 ltrs

Minimum gallons for 60W=1 ( 1 gallon =80 liters, 1/2=40 liters)
Minimum gallons for (80+20) B= 1+0.5=1.5
Total = 1+1.5=2.5

Ans. 2.5
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Given W:B = 3:5
That means say 3 gallons of white paint + 5 gallons of black paint = 8 gallons of paint mixture.
But we want least amount of white & black paints for minimum of 2 gallons of mixture, so lets reduce keeping same ratio,
1.5 : 2.5 gives 1.5 + 2.5 = 4 gallons of mixture, but we want only 2 gallons, lets further reduce
0.75: 1.25 gives 1+1.5 = 2.5 gallons of mixture. This looks ok, but lets reduce further just to be sure
0.375: 0.625 gives 0.5 + 1 = 1.5 gallons of mixture, thats less than 2 gallons of mixture, so not acceptable.
So correct ans is 2.5 gallons. B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 375
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
Send PM
Kudos
The mixture is made up of 3 parts white paint and 5 parts Black paint.
Hence total is 8 parts make 2 gallons of mixture.
8x = 2(gallons) ==> x = 1/4

White paint needed = 3* 1/4 =0.75. Minimum White paint needed = 1
Black Paint needed = 5* 1/4 = 1.25 Minimum Black Paint needed = 1.5

Hence Answer = 2.5. B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
benmtchong wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4

I don't like the wording of the question! There is a possibility of two solutions here..all depends o what exactly "measure out" means to say in the question..and some information that I find is missing in the question. It should be clearly stated that one can measure out exactly as much as wanted from any can(example, one can take out 0.75 liters from a 1 liter can, and so forth). In this case, 2.5 is the correct answer. But if such thing is not possible, then we would have to work exclusively with 0.5 and 1 liter cans only, in which case, 4 will be the answer. I'm not sure if my argument is ill-founded, but please, clarify. I request Bunuel to comment and also clarify, so I don't make such comprehension mistakes if I did so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
ShashankDave wrote:
benmtchong wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4

I don't like the wording of the question! There is a possibility of two solutions here..all depends o what exactly "measure out" means to say in the question..and some information that I find is missing in the question. It should be clearly stated that one can measure out exactly as much as wanted from any can(example, one can take out 0.75 liters from a 1 liter can, and so forth). In this case, 2.5 is the correct answer. But if such thing is not possible, then we would have to work exclusively with 0.5 and 1 liter cans only, in which case, 4 will be the answer. I'm not sure if my argument is ill-founded, but please, clarify. I request Bunuel to comment and also clarify, so I don't make such comprehension mistakes if I did so.

I approached this question in the same way and made the same mistake. My assumption was that we would have to pour together the whole (1 or 1/2 gallon) cans so that we can get at least 2 liters of grey paint, which gives E as a result.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Scyzo wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
benmtchong wrote:

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4

I approached this question in the same way and made the same mistake. My assumption was that we would have to pour together the whole (1 or 1/2 gallon) cans so that we can get at least 2 liters of grey paint, which gives E as a result.

Look at the last line of the question: what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

This clarifies that you need to find the least amount of paint that you need to buy to measure out the portions needed for 2 gallons mix.
Otherwise, it would have been mentioned that you need to use the whole can.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6270 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
benmtchong wrote:

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4

We are given that a gray pain is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. We are also given that the paint can be purchased in one- or half-gallon cans and that the total mixture is 2 gallons. We must determine the minimum number of gallons of paint of each color needed.

Our given ratio is:

w/b = 3/5 = 1.5/2.5 = 0.75/1.25

As we can see, we need to have 0.75 gallons of white paint and 1.25 gallons of black paint in order to have 2 gallons of the mixed (i.e., gray) paint. However, in order to have the 0.75 gallons of white paint, we need to purchase 1 gallon of white paint, and in order to have the 1.25 gallons of black paint, we need to purchase 1.5 gallons of black paint. Thus, we need to purchase a total of 2.5 gallons of paint.

Answer: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
benmtchong wrote:

A. 2

B. \(2 \frac{1}{2}\)

C. 3

D. \(3 \frac{1}{2}\)

E. 4

We need 2*3/8 = .75 gallons of white and 1.25 gallons of black. Plug in the options. Start from C, 3 gallons. If we buy 1 gallon of white and 2 gallons of black, we can distribute but since more than half gallons of black paint will remain, we should buy 1 one gallon of black and another half gallon of black. So, total 2 and half gallons are needed.
B is the answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white [#permalink]
Top Contributor
benmtchong wrote:

A. 2

B. \(2 \frac{1}{2}\)

C. 3

D. \(3 \frac{1}{2}\)

E. 4

White: Black = 3:5, Total is 3+5=8

Required white paint=2*\(\frac{3}{8}\) \(= 0.75\)

Required Black paint= 2*\(\frac{5}{8}\) \(=1.25\)

Total = 0.75+1.25=2.5 or \(2 \frac{1}{2}\)

The Answer is B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 737
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Grey paint is obtained by mixing 3 part of White and 5 part of Black paint
say 1Gallon is G
if we mix 3G of white paint and 5G of black paint we get 8G of Grey paint
but we need only 2G of grey paint
so 2G of Grey paint = (3/4)G of white paint + (5/4)G of Black paint

but the white and black paint are available in 0.5G and 1G cans
and since we need to buy the least amount of paint
to get 3/4 G of white paint we need to buy 1G of white paint
and to get 5/4G of black paint we need to buy 3/2 G of black paint
total 2.5G of white and black paint
Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
hi,

Bunuel

is this approach correct

2 gallons =5X + 3X

x=1/4

5(1/4) =1.25 so 1 can + half can

3(1/4)= 0.75 so 1 can

total 2 1/2
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Send PM
Whenever I see parts, i am more inclined to use fractions.

3/8 W + 5/8B = G

We need 2G

2*3/8 + 2*5/8 = 2G

6/8 W + 10/8 B

0.75W + 1.25 B

to cover 0.75 we need 1 Gallon

to cover 1.25 we need 1.5 Gallon

1 + 1.5 = 2.5

B!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts