Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [21]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]
Nice initiative. +1
Financial and Visa are the two most daunting issues for international students. It was really nice to hear about Kellogg.
I would request all - including Non -internationals, to share their experiencse regarding financial issues they have faced.
Moreover its equally important to know about the post-MBA prediction for repaying the Loans.

Please shed some light.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Many internationals at Columbia are also having tough time because they don't offer
no-cosigner loan anymore. I had to struggle to find someone to cosign and I applied to Citibank and got a 1yr loan approved for 95000$ which is the amount in my I-20 for 1year expenses including tuition. Interest rate is 9.15% and a loan fee of 3%. All in all, a rip off. But then, I got no choice.

Many other schools, in fact all schools I believe in top 10 offers no cosigner loans and some schools like Darden also offers nocosigner loan, a friend is getting 7% interest rate from Darden. Oh well.

(In order to get my I-20 I requested my cosigner to give me a letter of sponsorship saying I will be funded by this person- of course this was just namesake just get I-20 as I was anyways going to apply for the loan. So may be you could do that too)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
WE 2: FP &amp; Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
gurpreetsingh, very glad you're finding this discussion useful.

Praz, I feel your pain. The loan does sound like a rip, but sometimes we don't exactly have a choice, I know. I had no idea that Columbia didn't offer no co-signer loans, so this is a great heads up for future applicants, even though they might secure one next year.

Glad that you got everything sorted out though, I know how stressful this whole experience can get.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
I want to go to Carnegie Mellon. While a good GMAT score is essential for getting a scholarship, I would like to know the chances of getting the scholarship. I am looking to enroll in Heinz School of Management, for my Masters in IT field.

Anyone with any experience?

I guess I have seen only one person from CMU here, he got admitted to Tepper School of Business I believe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Send PM
Bookmarks
Grateful for this wonderful thread. From third party sources I know Chicago and haas offer non- Cosignor loans and so does Ross.
Ariel - that you cannot use school loan to get I-20 is simply incomprehensible. Are you sure you don't want to escalate this to someone in admissions and recheck?

You may want to look at Global Student Loan corporation for loan based on a co-signor in your home country.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
unplugged wrote:
That was exactly the reason why I didn't apply to Cornell. While I cannot give you any tips/suggestions, I can share my experience with Kellogg

I think I had it quite easy.

1) Kellogg determined the loan amount I'm eligible to take on the basis of my savings/contribution from family/current salary etc. The amount they sanctioned covered 90% of the student budget

2) They gave me 2 options - Option A US cosignor or Option B non-US cosignor

Along with the I -20( certificate of eligibility for student visa), they sent me the letter which stated that Kellogg guarantees a loan of XXX to you. I showed it during my visa interview and they were perfectly OK with it

hi unplugged
I wasn't aware Kellogg had a no co-signor option. They gave me an Option A loan. Did you specifically ask for Option B.?

thanks
wg
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone,
This is a great link for us international students :)
Also thanx about about the info on cornell as it means i wouldn't have to waste my time applying as i need a loan or else i wont be able to go to business school :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools:UNC, DUKE
Send PM
Kudos