Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72870 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: GRE vs. GMAT [#permalink]
Yes, both have their advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, if you ever decide that you want to go for a master's in an academic field, the GRE is vital. On the other hand, not every business school out there takes a GRE score. However, one part of the article I disagree with is that the GMAT provides more security. The GRE administrators take just as many measures and those of the GMAT to make sure that the person actually taking the test is the person whose name is on the form. Personally, since I don't know exactly where I want to go yet, I plan on taking both.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Actually, that's a good thing to mention - the fact that not all business schools accept the GRE score. It might not be time well-spent to study and take a gre practice test when working toward a good GMAT score is time better spent.

ahillis wrote:
Yes, both have their advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, if you ever decide that you want to go for a master's in an academic field, the GRE is vital. On the other hand, not every business school out there takes a GRE score.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
joeleitz wrote:
Actually, that's a good thing to mention - the fact that not all business schools accept the GRE score. It might not be time well-spent to study and take a gre practice test when working toward a good GMAT score is time better spent.

This. Plus its unclear how GRE performance is evaluated relative to GMAT performance in the eyes of each admissions committee. Do they take them both at face value? Do they map your GRE Q/V/Total percentiles onto the equivalent GMAT scores? Do they weight the splits differently? Is not taking the GMAT or not sending the GMAT score you received a negative, in their eyes? Is sending both scores a negative? Is it a positive?

It adds another variable to the decision equation and creates more uncertainty for future applicants -- something you might not want during a process that many see as already being a bit of a crapshoot for certain profiles.

That said, I took both because I was a dual degree applicant and some of my non-MBA applications required the GRE.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Kudos
I think that the GRE should be taken advantage of by people who struggle with the GMAT quant section. The GRE math section is a cakewalk in comparison

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
YourDreamTheater wrote:
I think that the GRE should be taken advantage of by people who struggle with the GMAT quant section. The GRE math section is a cakewalk in comparison

Honestly, I didn't find this to be the case, but perhaps that's just me. The GMAT may offer problems that are somewhat more complex, but it also allows test takers 25% more time to solve them. I mean, the material is exactly the same. I suppose if someone prefers the GRE's "Which value is bigger?" to the GMAT's "Which of these things do you need to solve the problem?" he/she might find the GRE more intuitive. But I wouldn't say either is inherently more difficult.

IMO, most MBA applicants should still prepare for the GMAT, unless they have a concrete reason otherwise, such as a plan to apply to a degree program that won't accept it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
coaks wrote:
YourDreamTheater wrote:

Honestly, I didn't find this to be the case, but perhaps that's just me. The GMAT may offer problems that are somewhat more complex, but it also allows test takers 25% more time to solve them. I mean, the material is exactly the same. I suppose if someone prefers the GRE's "Which value is bigger?" to the GMAT's "Which of these things do you need to solve the problem?" he/she might find the GRE more intuitive. But I wouldn't say either is inherently more difficult.

IMO, most MBA applicants should still prepare for the GMAT, unless they have a concrete reason otherwise, such as a plan to apply to a degree program that won't accept it.

To each their own!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Technical entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, MIT
GPA: 4.0 UG 3.9 G
WE 1: 1600 GRE
Send PM
My $0.02, since this is near and dear to me as a soon-to-be GRE score submitter... The "official" reason that some bschools are taking the GRE is that they want to encourage non-standard applicants (attracted by the lower price of the GRE or the fact that they've already taken it) to apply.

Also, at a Stanford info session I asked about the GMAT vs. GRE and they said "either's fine; we actually think the GRE is harder."

AJ
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
The GMAT is still preferred, but the GRE is becoming more widely accepted.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations
Schools:MIT, UConn
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
i took gre
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
I appeared for GRE 5 years ago and got 1460/1600 with 2 weeks prep approx... i'm finding GMAT much much harder.. sometimes I'm wondering whether I should take the GRE again instead of GMAT but i guess its too late
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the comparision kit ...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
GMAT > GRE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Could anyone recommend a similar forum like gmatclub for the GRE. My brother is interested in completing his GRE and is on the lookout for good forums that he can learn from.
Mhasan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Just search in google for gre forum. There are plenty of good gre forums available!
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
occamsrazor wrote:
I appeared for GRE 5 years ago and got 1460/1600 with 2 weeks prep approx... i'm finding GMAT much much harder.. sometimes I'm wondering whether I should take the GRE again instead of GMAT but i guess its too late

Wow!! 1460 with 2 weeks is amazing :shock:
I guess you have an awesome vocabulory. Most candidates take upto 1.5-2 months to study the Barrons wordlists alone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GRE 1: Q790 V660
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Is there any way to compare the GRE verbal score to the GMAT verbal score?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I'm not sure if there was a tool for comparing the verbal scores, but there definitely isn't one at the moment for the revised GRE.
I'm not sure how relevant it would be, but I've taken a crack at the approximate coversions:

Verbal - GREVerbal - GMAT
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2