Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: How much do GRE differ from GMAT? [#permalink]
PhilosophusRex wrote:
I took my GMAT a couple of days ago and underperformed a lot. As I don’t know if my result will be good enough for “my” grad school I decided to take a test again, this time with proper preparation. The school I’m applying to accepts both GMAT and GRE. If you take the GRE they only count the quantitative part and the essays.

Try checking if the "class profile" is available to get an idea of the average GRE and GMAT score of students who have got an admit in previous batches.

In some of the programs that I am keen on applying, both GRE and GMAT are accepted. But,I found the GRE requirement tougher to meet than the GMAT.
For eg. The GRE cut off was 1400 whereas GMAT was around 660.

The question on whether you want to give GRE/GMAT mainly depends on what your Grad school prefers. If you are applying for MBA, GMAT may be a better choice because "ALL business schools accept GMAT and SOME accept GRE".

PhilosophusRex wrote:
My question is, how much do the essay and quantitative parts differ, both in difficulty and content, between GMAT and GRE? Is it a wise choice to take the GRE instead of the GMAT next time?

The quantitative section is easier than the GMAT Math. If you are thorough with all the basics of GMAT Math and problem solving, you will be able to do well.
Analytical writing is quite similar for both exams. GRE has one Issue task and one Argument task.

Usually non-native English speakers find verbal section of GRE hard. You need to learn and remember more than 4000+ new words (It took more than 2 months for me) and also the Reading comprehension passages are much more "dry" compared to the GMAT passages.

So, unless you have a very strong vocabulory, preparing GRE will require about 2-3 months . Since you have already covered GMAT topics once, my suggestion, would be to repeat GMAT instead of starting GRE preparation from scratch.
Manhattan GRE Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The following guide might provide a helpful comparison of the two tests both in terms of content and the role of each test in admissions.

GRE vs. GMAT
The recent decision by top business schools to accept GRE scores as an alternative to GMAT scores has sparked interest in the differences between the two tests. Manhattan GMAT and Manhattan GRE have used our wealth of experience with both tests to analyze the tests. In comparing the GRE and the GMAT two distinct fields are important – test content and structure, as well as the place of each test in admissions.

The Place of the GMAT and GRE in Admissions
In terms of which test is better for the application process, what we’ve heard from admissions counselors is that the reason business schools have chosen to accept the GRE is to attract a students from a larger variety of backgrounds. They have also said that there is no benefit to taking one test over the other. In making your decision on which test to take, therefore, you should consider the following:
1. Focus on where you’re looking to go: If you are absolutely positive that you only want to go to business school, then the GMAT might be the way to go, since there’s a much better history of how business schools take into account your GMAT score. If you think you might want to apply to a variety of programs including business school, consider the GRE, since it will save you time and money to study for one test, not two. Before making this decision but make sure that all of the business schools you’re looking to apply to accept the GRE.
2. Think about your background: The math section on the GRE is generally considered to be easier than the math section on the GMAT; if you feel that your previous transcripts and work experience do not showcase your math skills, it might be worth considering the GMAT in order to show off your abilities.
3. Play to your strengths: if you know that you are better suited to the skills tested on the GRE, such as vocabulary, you might want to consider that test. When making this selection be sure to take into account that you want a balanced application to present to schools.

Format and Content Differences between the GMAT and GRE
Both the GRE and GMAT contain quantitative and verbal questions, however the GMAT presents a combined score on a scale of 200-800 while the GRE present a score of 200-800 on each section separately. As such, a perfect GMAT score is an 800 while a perfect GRE score is a 1600. There are also differences in the content and format of each section as follows.
Quantitative Section
Both tests contain standard problem solving questions. In these, a question is asked, and you must select the right answer from five choices. Unique to the GMAT is a question type called Data Sufficiency. You are asked a question, and provided with two statements. You are asked to decide whether the statements, either alone or used together, provide enough information to answer the question. Note that you are not actually required to answer the question.
Unique to the GRE are two additional question types: Quantitative Comparisons and Data Interpretation. On Quantitative Comparison questions, you are provided with two columns, and asked to determine which column contains the larger value. On Data Interpretation questions, you are asked questions about the data contained in one or more graphs or tables.
Although the topics covered by both tests (Algebra, Geometry, Number Theory, etc.) are essentially equivalent, it is FAR more difficult to get a top score on the GMAT than on the GRE. In fact, getting a perfect score on the GRE Quant section is only 94th percentile.

Verbal
The Verbal section on the GMAT has three question types: Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension. Sentence Corrections test your knowledge of grammar and sentence structure as you select the best version of a sentence from five options. Critical Reasoning presents an argument (generally flawed or incomplete) and asks questions that test your ability to assimilate and assess that argument. Reading Comprehension provides an excerpted passage and asks questions about that passage. This question type will be very familiar to anyone who has taken the SAT or ACT.
The Verbal section of the GRE has four question types: Reading Comprehension, Analogies, Antonyms and Sentence Completion. Reading Comprehension on the GRE is similar to Reading Comprehension on the GMAT, although the passages are shorter and there is more time pressure. The remaining three question types are all VERY dependent on vocabulary. The principle activity of anyone studying for the GRE verbal section will be acquisition of a larger vocabulary.

I hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Taylor
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Thanks TDearr for the detailed comparison between the 2 exams.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I think that is a great explanation of the difference between the two exams. I have given both exams, quantitative questions were my strength and scored the maximum on both, 800 on the GRE and 51 on the GMAT. But from an overall perspective it took me 3 months to get my GRE to 1460 and 2 weeks to get my GMAT to 760.

As someone whose native language is not English, the GRE is a much tougher examination to crack, because of the enormous word lists you need to cram to get your vocabulary up to mark. The GMAT verbal is no cake walk, but I certainly found it easier to get familiar with grammar rules than to figure out the meaning of new words on the GRE. At least with GMAT questions, you have a feeling or clue to the answers [right or wrong]; with GRE, when you see a new word for the first time, sometimes you have not the slightest idea what it might mean.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
shrouded1 wrote:
I think that is a great explanation of the difference between the two exams. I have given both exams, quantitative questions were my strength and scored the maximum on both, 800 on the GRE and 51 on the GMAT. But from an overall perspective it took me 3 months to get my GRE to 1460 and 2 weeks to get my GMAT to 760.

2 weeks prep to get 760 in GMAT is amazing. Hats off to you. :)

shrouded1 wrote:
As someone whose native language is not English, the GRE is a much tougher examination to crack, because of the enormous word lists you need to cram to get your vocabulary up to mark. The GMAT verbal is no cake walk, but I certainly found it easier to get familiar with grammar rules than to figure out the meaning of new words on the GRE. At least with GMAT questions, you have a feeling or clue to the answers [right or wrong]; with GRE, when you see a new word for the first time, sometimes you have not the slightest idea what it might mean.

That is right. Though the 4000+ Barrons list covers most of the GRE vocabulory, there are several words that come in the exam and are not from this list. Compared to that the GMAT is more predictable.

However, for candidates who struggle with Quants, GRE is easier to crack than GMAT. The data sufficiency questions are not there and the complexity of problem solving questions is lesser than in GMAT. Infact,I know some students who are pretty confident about their Math skills and got 800 in GRE Math with as less as 10 days of preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I find the GRE easier than the GMAT; therefore achieving a good percentile in the GRE is going to be much harder. I've seen average quant scores for certain MSc as high as 796/800!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
The quantitative part of the Gre is easier than the quantitative part of the Gmat, because you have less time per question. I personally prefer the Gmat over the Gre because I find the questions of the Gmat more challenging. In my opinion you need more creativity and logic on the Gmat.
Manhattan GRE Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
I find the GRE easier than the GMAT; therefore achieving a good percentile in the GRE is going to be much harder. I've seen average quant scores for certain MSc as high as 796/800!

The quant is easier on the GRE. In fact, a perfect score 800 is only in the 94th percentile.
GMAT Club Bot