Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [53]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [13]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as [#permalink]
Kudos
BellTheGmat wrote:
It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages. If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol, it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.

The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?
* Postal service managers are the only people with the authority to open suspicious packages.
* Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package.
* The efficiency of the postal service will be greatly reduced if more packages are inspected.
* There is currently no protocol in place for the inspection of suspicious packages.
* Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity.

For assumption questions, we want to deconstruct the argument: paraphrase the conclusion and evidence. Once we have done so, we then identify the missing link between the two.

In this case, the author concludes that it's a mistake to allow postal workers discretion regarding inspecting packages. Why? Because (so here comes the evidence...) curiousity and boredom will lead to all packages being opened.

What does the author have to be assuming to reach his conclusion based on his evidence? That postal workers do, in fact, want to know what's inside the packages.

So, armed with that prediction, we attack the choices looking for a match.

A) nothing about motivation to open packages - eliminate.
B) nothing about motivation to open packages - eliminate.
C) nothing about motivation to open packages - eliminate.
D) nothing about motivation to open packages - eliminate.
E) aha! Here's exactly what we predicted, we know (E) is correct.

Kaplan's denial test can be a very useful tool for assumption questions. If we weren't already convinced that (E) is correct, we'd consider the opposite of (E):

Quote:
Postal workers do not desire to open packages out of curiousity.

Well, if postal workers aren't curious, the author's argument makes no sense at all. Since the denial of (E) destroys the argument, (E) must be an essential element, the exact definition of an assumption.
Manager
Manager
Status:If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as [#permalink]
Kudos
Between B & E
Premise: If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol,
Conclusion1: it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion2: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages.

Premise --> conclusion1 needs assumption B and no necessarily E.

B Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package. if the packages are indistinguishable then employees are allowed to open all packages.
E Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity. This is certainly an assumption but it's not an assumption on which argument depends - It doesn't imply that all packages will be opened due to some employee's curiosity. B direclty connects with argument that all packages would be opened coz they cannot distinguish.

Note: Conclusion1 is more of inference than conclusion because it's direct consequence of 'IF' premise.

OA given is E, but I feel this questions is either wrong or at best ambigous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
SyedSan wrote:
Between B & E
Premise: If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol,
Conclusion1: it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion2: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages.

Premise --> conclusion1 needs assumption B and no necessarily E.

B Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package. if the packages are indistinguishable then employees are allowed to open all packages.
E Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity. This is certainly an assumption but it's not an assumption on which argument depends - It doesn't imply that all packages will be opened due to some employee's curiosity. B direclty connects with argument that all packages would be opened coz they cannot distinguish.

Note: Conclusion1 is more of inference than conclusion because it's direct consequence of 'IF' premise.

OA given is E, but I feel this questions is either wrong or at best ambigous.

I do not see anything wrong with the question and answer. (BTW, source is GMATClub, AFAIK)

Let us think that we need to decide to setup a police station at a town. What would be the basis?
Is it enough to find that whether or not people at that town know what is crime and what is not crime?
Or is it required to know the crime rate?

Obviously the answer is to know the crime rate which is the measure of people behavior not their knowledge.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I have a question on option E, which I presume is the OA.

A basic tenet of Assumption question is "it" being not explicitly mentioned in the passage.

Curiosity as a trait is mentioned in the passage as the reason which leads to opening of suspicious packages.

How can then option E be correct?

Regards

Argha
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [0]
Send PM
argha wrote:
Hi,

A basic tenet of Assumption question is "it" being not explicitly mentioned in the passage.

Curiosity as a trait is mentioned in the passage as the reason which leads to opening of suspicious packages.

Regards

Argha

I think you're correct. An assumption, according to GMAT standards, has some characteristics:
- An assumption is a hidden statement which must be true for a conclusion to hold true.
- We cannot t deduct an assumption simply from given information because it has some new information.

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE:Law (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
argha wrote:
Hi,

Regards

Argha

I would be careful of such a blanket rule that an assumption must not be mentioned in a passage. While that may often be the case, sometimes the author clearly states an assumption. Here, the author implies curiosity is the reason that causes opening of suspicious packages but nowhere is there evidence provided that this the case--hence it's an assumption. The only "proof" provided is an opinion disguised as an authoritative statement (it would be otherwise if there was a mention of a survey which found that if given the opportunity, postal workers would like to open packages due to curiosity). The conclusion here is that it is a mistake to give the employees discretion, based on a premise that relies on a few assumptions, two of which are directly stated--1) some employees will certainly abuse discretion 2) the reason they will do so is their curiosity and 3) the degree of abuse would be so rampant as to cause ALL packages to be opened (or alternatively, the urge to open could not be resisted).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

The wording is quite convoluted, but the main idea is:

Hypothesis: Individual employees open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol probably because of postal employee’s idle curiosity.
KEY word: “without first following a strict protocol” because: although there is strict protocol (it means the opening suspicious packages may not be necessary if the postal employees follow strict protocol), employees still want open the packages. Why? Because they are curious. Make sense :)
Conclusion: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages.

Assumption: The first reason postal employees open suspicious packages is that they are curious. Or no other reasons make postal employees want to open suspicious packages.
Negate the assumption to confirm: postal employees are not curious when they decide to open suspicious packages. ==> Cannot say “it’s a mistake to give them rights to open suspicious packages”.

ANALYZE EACH OPTIONS:

-Postal service managers are the only people with the authority to open suspicious packages.
Wrong. Out of scope. Nothing about the right of “service managers”.

-Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package.
Wrong. The fact that suspicious packages are indistinguishable or distinguishable does not affect “curious” employees, who want to open all suspicious packages (does not matter the packages are distinguishable/indistinguishable). Thus, B is not the assumption.

-The efficiency of the postal service will be greatly reduced if more packages are inspected.
Wrong. Out of scope. Nothing about “the efficiency”.

-There is currently no protocol in place for the inspection of suspicious packages.
Wrong. TEMPTING because of the wording, not of the meaning.
The stimulus only says employees open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol because of their curiosity. Let rephrase, although there is strict protocol (it means the opening suspicious packages may not be necessary if the postal employees follow strict protocol), employees still open the packages. Why? Because they are curious. Therefore, If there is no protocol, we do not know they are curious or not.. Hence, D cannot be the assumption.

-Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity.
Correct. As stated above.

Hope it helps.

picked b

Could you explain how it does not matter whether packages are indistinguishable or not. If they are clearly distinguishable employees should not open the other ones and hence all packages may not arrive opened. The argument also says employees are allowed to open only suspicious packages and if we can identify which ones are suspicious not all the packages will arrive opened.

Also e was explicitly stated in the argument.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [0]
Send PM
ramannanda9 wrote:
picked b

Could you explain how it does not matter whether packages are indistinguishable or not. If they are clearly distinguishable employees should not open the other ones and hence all packages may not arrive opened. The argument also says employees are allowed to open only suspicious packages and if we can identify which ones are suspicious not all the packages will arrive opened.

Also e was explicitly stated in the argument.

Hi ramannanda9

I think you misunderstood a little bit. Do NOT assume "distinguishable" is "suspicious". They are totally different. "Suspicious" does not need to be "distinguishable" and vice versa. The "suspicious" packages may look the same as other packages.

B does not matter because the "suspicious" packages may or may not be distinguishable from all other packages. Hence, B cannot be the assumption.

About E, yes, it is stated in the stimulus. Technically, it "should not" be the assumption per GMAT standards. However, it's the best among all.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I still don't agree with the OA. I guess there are two assumptions.

premise:If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol, it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion : It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages

So the postal employees will open the package if postal employees are allowed to open "suspicious" packages.

Option B) Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package.
Negate option B) Suspicious packages are distinguishable from all other kinds of package.
-> That means the postal employees are able to distinguish suspicious packages from normal one and even if they are curious, not "ALL" packages will be opened.

Option E) Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity.
If we negate it, obviously the conclusion breaks.

I guess both Option E) and Option B) are assumptions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
kinjiGC wrote:

premise:If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol, it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion : It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages

So the postal employees will open the package if postal employees are allowed to open "suspicious" packages.

Option B) Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package.
Negate option B) Suspicious packages are distinguishable from all other kinds of package.
-> That means the postal employees are able to distinguish suspicious packages from normal one and even if they are curious, not "ALL" packages will be opened.

I doubt if GMAT will have such ambiguous/grey questions. I also picked B over E and after quite some deliberation, I feel the question is not representative of GMAT standards. Can any of the experts out there comment on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [3]
Send PM
Kudos

-> I was also confused initially but looking at it again, this is definitely not an assumption. Even if suspicious packages are distinguishable from all other kinds of packages, some idle postal employee can still open the package out of curiosity. You already mentioned this above. Going one step further, note that this set includes possibility that 'All' packages will be opened. Though unlikely, but still possible.

Negating 'All' should give us 'Not All' / 'Some'. But in this case, 'All' is also a possibility. Say for example there were 100 postal employees = All employees. Now negating will give us 1 to 99 (Not All/Some). However, in our case since it is possible that All 100 employees were curious, they can open All mails. Maybe because it's christmas and they are curious to see what gifts are in there.

kinjiGC wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
hubahuba wrote:

-> I was also confused initially but looking at it again, this is definitely not an assumption. Even if suspicious packages are distinguishable from all other kinds of packages, some idle postal employee can still open the package out of curiosity. You already mentioned this above. Going one step further, note that this set includes possibility that 'All' packages will be opened. Though unlikely, but still possible.

Negating 'All' should give us 'Not All' / 'Some'. But in this case, 'All' is also a possibility. Say for example there were 100 postal employees = All employees. Now negating will give us 1 to 99 (Not All/Some). However, in our case since it is possible that All 100 employees were curious, they can open All mails. Maybe because it's christmas and they are curious to see what gifts are in there.

kinjiGC wrote:

You mean even if the postmen can distinguish suspicious packages, they can possibly still open ALL of them because they are curious?

Fair enough. I took less than 2 minutes because I didn't bother reading beyond option B.
Can you help me map this passage in a way that it becomes possible to solve in 2 minutes?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Send PM