Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Darden,UNC,Tuck,Tepper,Emory
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools:UNC, DUKE
Send PM
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]
Pdgmat2010 wrote:
can someone shed some light on the cost of living and other expenses at Chapel Hill?
UNC estimates it at $21,000 .
Is it really this much for each year?
any help is appreciated.

Cost of living varies a lot depending on your life style, but as a reference a one bedroom close to KFBS is about $900 a month, now if you are willing to have a roommate you could be paying $500 to $600. If you eat on campus probably you will need $15 a day for food (much cheaper if you cook).

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the $21k is what the US government asks you to prove in order to get a visa. Chapel Hill is much cheaper than Chicago or NYC, if you watch your expenses you could need only $10K a year, but not likely.

I hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship, International Management
Schools:UC Berkeley, UCLA
WE 1: Applications
WE 2: Marketing Engr
Send PM
Can anyone share your experience with Haas (UCB) on Financial aid?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
willmba2012 wrote:
Pdgmat2010 wrote:
can someone shed some light on the cost of living and other expenses at Chapel Hill?
UNC estimates it at $21,000 .
Is it really this much for each year?
any help is appreciated.

Cost of living varies a lot depending on your life style, but as a reference a one bedroom close to KFBS is about $900 a month, now if you are willing to have a roommate you could be paying $500 to $600. If you eat on campus probably you will need $15 a day for food (much cheaper if you cook).

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the $21k is what the US government asks you to prove in order to get a visa. Chapel Hill is much cheaper than Chicago or NYC, if you watch your expenses you could need only $10K a year, but not likely.

I hope this helps

Absolutely, Thanks Will. This helps a lot & is the most clear information I have received thus far.
Cheers!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Send PM
I haven't really looked at loans yet - just been focusing on getting my apps in and hopefully have a school to go to in the Fall. I'm a Canadian and will have worked in the US for 2 years by the time I go to business school. Does anyone know if I can still qualify for the US-based loans? Or am going to have to go down the international path?

It's going to suck to have to give up my L1-A visa but 'tis life I guess...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Interesting topic, but I don't understand how business schools would be very sure that the international student will pay his/her loan back, especially that most of them will leave the states after graduate!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q43  V41
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years
Send PM
Hey Ariel, This is a great thread and I'm glad that I stumbled upon it!

I am really curious to know how you managed to work around the fact that Cornell does not allow the student loan to be used on the declaration of finances form? I recently heard from admissions that my application, which was wait listed in R2, is being considered for the class of 2013 provided I can work through the VISA part pretty quickly. But I know for sure that gathering the financial resources in order for Cornell to issue me the I-20 is going to be very tough......so any light you or other current students could shed on this will be really very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Consulting, Finance, International Business
Schools:IIMA
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: IT - 10 years
Send PM
If a person(non resident, non citizen) has worked here and his/her credit history is good, will that credit score help in securing the student loan for MBA in US?
Will that help him in securing loan for MBA outside USA?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
These are the details of Tucks 2011 - 2012 loan program for internationals. Fingers crossed that they don't mind me posting this. Also, the loan program seems to be independent from scholarships, I was awarded a reasonable scholarship and I was still allowed to take the maximum amount out in loans.

• Individual maximum amount varies and is determined by Tuck’s Financial Aid office by performing needs analysis
• Finance up to the cost of tuition and mandatory fees (not to exceed $57,000 annually)
• Apply once and secure financing for your entire graduate studies with a unique Line of Credit structure
• Zero origination or pre-payment fees
• Variable interest rate based on Prime Rate plus 4.00% for student only
• 0.50% interest rate discount for borrowers with an approved U.S. co-signer
• Co-signer not required
• Interest is added to principal upon entering repayment
• Flexible repayment options, including full deferment of payments while in school
• 20 or 25 year repayment period, depending on loan balance – or repay early at any time with no penalty
• 6 month grace period prior to entering repayment
• 0.25% rate discount for automatic electronic payment during repayment
• Optional graduated repayment which provides lower payments during the first two years of repayment
• 24/7 Call Center and Online Application
• Loan is granted and held by your not-for-profit credit union – a lender relationship you can trust

Tuck will determine the maximum line of credit amount the student may be eligible to borrow. This is determined by a needs analysis based on a variety of factors, including cost of the program, their ability to contribute, debt levels consistent with successful repayment, and availability of funds. The school reserves the right to limit or decline educational loans or lines of credit on the basis of a student’s overall debt burden, credit history, or other relevant factors.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
ariel wrote:
I thought I'd get a thread going where international students can discuss their experiences and share tips on securing (cheap) funds for their education, obtaining a study permit, etc.

This thread is open to all international students studying or wishing to study anywhere in the world. However, please kindly limit all discussions to financing and immigration issues only.

It might also be useful to share school-specific intelligence on requirements to obtain a certificate of eligibility to be presented to the student visa issuing authorities.

As a Canadian accepted at a few US schools, I'm a bit baffled at the stringent regulations international students face as well as the lack of cheap and accessible financing.

For instance, Cornell expects international students to show proof of liquid assets in the amount of $142,404. The most troubling part is that they would not allow a US student loan (such as the one they guarantee to all international students) to be used towards the exorbitant amount required. How have others handled this issue?

On the other hand, other schools, such as Ross, only require proof of living expenses for the first year - a far more palatable $8,251.

What are the requirements of the school you will be attending? How did you get around the financing issue?

I would be particularly interested to hear from other Canadians as well, who might be able to provide specific information on Canadian lenders. After speaking with a few of the big banks (BMO, Scotia, TD), I realize that no Canadian bank would underwrite a loan for a student studying outside of Canada unless they have a Canadian co-signer. Also for those living in Ontario, OSAP is shelling out a whooping $210/week of study in TOTAL (including tuition, all incidental expenses, etc). What did you do? How did you handle that part?

Also, has anyone found any good websites indexing private scholarships or any third party financing opportunities?

Any tips, ideas, suggestions, school-specific info would be greatly appreciated!

Really, really annoying to be hit with news like that after you're in. Well looks like it's good-bye Cornell for me too. What's even more annoying is how they never place information like this on their websites. I'm selecting my schools based on whether or not they offer loan programs to international students without a co-signor - so even after restricting myself (good-bye dream school Wharton) - I now have to prepare for being hit with annoying terms as the one given above. GREAT!

I'm sure people who have been looking to apply to Columbia have already seen this on their financial aid website, but if you haven't its pretty useful - www4.gsb.columbia.edu/null/International+Resources?exclusive=filemgr.download&file_id=7218279&showthumb=0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
We all know that Ross doesn't offer loans for international students wo co-signer this year. What do to do next? Is it possible to contact any banks asking about a direct loan wo co-signer? If yes, what banks should I choose from?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
ulm wrote:
We all know that Ross doesn't offer loans for international students wo co-signer this year. What do to do next? Is it possible to contact any banks asking about a direct loan wo co-signer? If yes, what banks should I choose from?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hi dude , take the list of top-100 banks worlwide and contact them one by one.
Ask your current employer to provide you a loan.

You know, in Moscow there are plenty of financial sources, but the question is would you agree to pay the higher interest?! Check Societe Generale, they provide loans to russian MBA students, but interest rates are high ehough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all, a bit late for this post but did any body figure out a generic option for covering cost of education in US MBA's for Indian/Chinese students? Apart from Kellogg/Wharton/Booth/HBS which have their own programs, is there any other institution in the US which covers our loans?

I heard somebody above got Citibank for the first year at an exorbitant interest rate, which is what I may be forced to do in the end as I'm Indian, but otherwise what else? What about 2nd year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM