It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 195
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2015, 03:27
6
This post received
KUDOS
9
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:14) correct 14% (01:29) wrong based on 678 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Premature babies who receive regular massages are more active than premature babies who do not. Even when all the babies drink the same amount of milk, the massaged babies gain more weight than do the unmassaged babies. This is puzzling because a more active person generally requires a greater food intake to maintain or gain weight.

Which of the following, if true, best reconciles the apparent discrepancy described above?

(A) Increased activity leads to increased levels of hunger, especially when food intake is not also increased.

(B) Massage increases premature babies’ curiosity about their environment, and curiosity leads to increased activity.

(C) Increased activity causes the intestines of premature babies to mature more quickly, enabling the babies to digest and absorb more of the nutrients in the milk they drink.

(D) Massage does not increase the growth rate of babies over one year old, if the babies had not been previously massaged.

(E) Premature babies require a daily intake of nutrients that is significantly higher than that required by babies who were not born prematurely.


Please hit kudos, if you like this post.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 195
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 03:58
Hello,

A specifies that:

Increased activity leads to increased levels of hunger, especially when food intake is not also increased

Does this choice resolve the paradox regarding surprising linkage between the "Increased physical activity" and "Increased weight". No...

If the more active babies are more hungry, then how they are gaining more weight?? Do they are eating too much (No, as the argument mentions same amount of milk).

So this choice is unable to resolve the paradox.

Hope it helps!!
3 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3326
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 08:05
3
This post received
KUDOS
WillGetIt wrote:
Premature babies who receive regular massages are more active than premature babies who do not.

Level of activeness of Premature babies

receive regular massages > doesn't receive regular massages

WillGetIt wrote:
Even when all the babies drink the same amount of milk, the massaged babies gain more weight than do the unrnassaged babies.


Consumption of milk

Premature babies who receive regular massages = Premature babies who doesn't receive regular massages

Weight gain

Premature babies who receive regular massages > Premature babies who doesn't receive regular massages


WillGetIt wrote:
This is puzzling because a more active person generally requires a greater food intake to maintain or gain weight.


Premature babies who receive regular massages ----> more active -----> requires a greater food intake ----> to maintain or gain weight.

This literally boils down the issue to the fact that

Premature babies who receive regular massages and are thus active , requires the same amount of food intake as that of Premature babies who doesn't receive regular massages , yet gains weight more quickly.

So, we can say that food is not the factor that is causing the weight gain , but message is the contributing factor.




Comparing (A) and (C) -

A - Talks about hunger and same food intake.

C - Talks about increased activity resulting in absorption of more nutrients in the milk they drink.

Hence IMHO (C)
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 916
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 09:57
WillGetIt wrote:
Hello,

A specifies that:

Increased activity leads to increased levels of hunger, especially when food intake is not also increased

Does this choice resolve the paradox regarding surprising linkage between the "Increased physical activity" and "Increased weight". No...

If the more active babies are more hungry, then how they are gaining more weight?? Do they are eating too much (No, as the argument mentions same amount of milk).

So this choice is unable to resolve the paradox.

Hope it helps!!


Thanks WillGetIt This helps.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 916
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 09:59
2
This post received
KUDOS
Abhishek009 wrote:
WillGetIt wrote:
Premature babies who receive regular massages are more active than premature babies who do not.

Level of activeness of Premature babies

receive regular massages > doesn't receive regular massages

WillGetIt wrote:
Even when all the babies drink the same amount of milk, the massaged babies gain more weight than do the unrnassaged babies.


Consumption of milk

Premature babies who receive regular massages = Premature babies who doesn't receive regular massages

Weight gain

Premature babies who receive regular massages > Premature babies who doesn't receive regular massages


WillGetIt wrote:
This is puzzling because a more active person generally requires a greater food intake to maintain or gain weight.


Premature babies who receive regular massages ----> more active -----> requires a greater food intake ----> to maintain or gain weight.

This literally boils down the issue to the fact that

Premature babies who receive regular massages and are thus active , requires the same amount of food intake as that of Premature babies who doesn't receive regular massages , yet gains weight more quickly.

So, we can say that food is not the factor that is causing the weight gain , but message is the contributing factor.




Comparing (A) and (C) -

A - Talks about hunger and same food intake.

C - Talks about increased activity resulting in absorption of more nutrients in the milk they drink.

Hence IMHO (C)


Abhishek009

Well explained~!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 321
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 13:49
This is an trend that i have seen that answer choices make assumption, which are no where stated or hinted about
Here increased activity is assumed to be through massage (but it can be through other things too)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2015
Posts: 47
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 07:49
Argument is basically saying - massaged babies are more active than unmassaged babies, therefore they should take more milk to gain more weight.
Assumption: more activity means more milk to gain more weight

Something along the lines of- more activity doesn't require more milk to gain more weight will undermine the assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 361
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 10:06
Where are the experts.

The options are not related to resolving the paradox.

Only C might resolve.

The rest are nonsensical.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Posts: 193
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 15:01
we need to find an answer choice explaining why massaged, more active, babies gain more weight than non-massaged despite consuming the same amount of food
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1922
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 22:51
the passage really confuses test takers.
Here is how to understand the passage.
The scope of the passage shifts from the first sentence to the second sentence; the third sentence is the bridge connecting the first and the second sentences.
1 KUDOS received
Mannheim Thread Master
User avatar
S
Status: It's now or never
Joined: 10 Feb 2017
Posts: 289
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
'C' is the correct choice - The statement suggests an increased activity of the massaged babies could increase their calorie and nutrient intake from a given amount of milk, thereby explaining how they could gain extra weight without drinking more milk.
_________________

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 694
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 21:56
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinjatwo generis

Is my thought process correct:


Paradox: Massaged babies have more weight than non massaged ones
even though they consume same milk as other types of babies.

Why is this surprising? Massaged babies are more active so ideally they should experience a weight loss per author.

Why does NONE of answer choices talk about weight in this Q?
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 41.49 KiB | Viewed 47 times ]


_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2018, 21:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Premature Babies OG Verbal Review 2016

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.