Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Prepering for retake; need advice how to prepare and with which materi [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Gansitomarinera,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of study routine have you been following since March? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply with?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). Since it sounds as though you have purchased the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need to have at least 5 posts in the forums (right now, you have 0 posts). If you would rather not go through those extra steps at this point, then you can feel free to email me directly (at Rich.C@empowergmat.com)

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: Prepering for retake; need advice how to prepare and with which materi [#permalink]
Gansitomarinera wrote:
About me:
Non-native English speaker
Work in consulting, with almost 3 years of work experience

I gave my first Gmat exam august 27th and got a quite bad score and so I canceled it.

I am planning to retake it as soon as possible. By the way, I am aiming for a 750+, to increase my chances to get a scholarship in schools of my choice.
I am trying to understand how I should prepare, which materials I should use, or whether I should hire a tutor.
I think my actual level is between 680-710. (the actual exam does not represent my actual level, I am quite sure about that)
But have no idea how I should prepare to achieve my goal.

In Quant, I was thinking about Gmat club test in Verbal I have no idea how to do it.

Official GMAT Exam: 640 (Q47, V29, IR 7/8, no AWA because I canceled the score)- 27th of August 2020

Quant:
-Problem-solving q47
-Data sufficiency q49

Verbal:
-SC: 33
-RC:36
-CR:23

I started prepping seriously in March. The materials I used:

Verbal:
All the verbal MGMAT (I found it quite good for SC)
LSAT and GMAT Critical reasoning Bible - Powerscore (I found it really good)
LSAT Reading comprehension bible -Powerscore (I found it quite good)
Official questions - on Gmat club
Beta versión of TTP (One of the best things I saw so far, unfortunately, it's in beta)
I did not read the official guide (maybe this was one of my mistakes
Gmatninja videos for SC and CR

Quant:
TTP Course (Great course to boost you to Q47+, works on the basic concepts for me the best Quant course on the market)
Advanced Quant MGmat (Good resources)

CATs:
-Official Gmat prep (best way to measure your skills in my opinion, especially in the verbal part you can perceive the quality of the questions)
-Mgmat (Good for Quant, the problems are harder and involve more steps than Gmat prep exams, the verbal part is easier in my opinion especially SC)
-Veritas (Quant is okay but different in my opinion, Verbal is better and than the that of MGmat´s CATs.

Question Banks:
-Veritas (Great questions for Verbal)
-Magoosh for practice (Found it good as a question bank, but I found Magoosh math different and Verbal is okay but not really GMAT style, in my opinion, didn´t like CR either RC)
-Gmat club:(Really good for Quant)

Practice Exams:

CATs:
April 27 MGmat: 690 (Q45, V38)
May 8 Mgmat: 630 (Q45, V32)
23 May Mgmat: 660 (Q45, V35)
June 7 -Veritas 650 (Q47, V33)
June 27-Veritas 660 (Q44, V37)
July 13-Veritas 680 (Q49, V34)
August 4-Veritas 710 (Q49, V39)
August 12 Mgmat:710 (Q47, V40)
August 17 Gmat prep: 710 (Q49, V38)
I felt this exam did not go really well, however, I managed a 710, so I thought my level would be higher. And all the stories I had read were saying Gmat prep is easier than mgmat and Veritas. I felt so, but I think the official ones do not allow so many errors than Mgmat and Veritas. I also tend to make careless mistakes with easier questions and be better with harder ones.
August 20 Gmat prep: 660 (Q47, V34)
After this Exam everything went wrong. After scoring 710 my score went down to 660, this was the moment when I realized I wouldn't be able to score 750 next week.
This was when I freaked out and did 3 Cats in 2 days, I felt really tired but I continued anyway.
Veritas August 21 660 (Q47, V34)
Veritas August 21 650(Q46, V34)
Veritas August 22 650 (Q48, V31)
Gmat prep August 24 690 (Q48, V36)

PS: I took all my tests under conditions similar to the test-day.

General observations:
The thing that surprised me the most was my CR score because it has been always my strongest section - in most of my CATS, and in general when practicing-, maybe a got overconfident in that section and was not careful enough. RC has been always my worst section and I struggled a lot with SC at the begging of my Prep. I felt that my English verbal skills were not that good at the begging of my prep but I improved a lot.

On test day I went to the test Center, I was a little bit nervous but not that much. I was quite sure I would retake the GMAT anyway because I knew I wouldn't get 750.

I am a little bit disappointed about my score, however, I felt I was not really ready for the score I want to get, so I don´t feel that bad about it because I was sure I would repeat the Exam anyway.

Now I am trying to organize myself self, taking first a little break from studying, and plan how I should study to achieve my dream score of 750.
I would really appreciate some advice on how to structure my study and which material to use or whether a tutor would be a good option.

Thank you for reading.

rc and cr are the two section where you can easily improve score , concentrate on these 2 first , get around 720 in mocks then , concentrate on improving sc , for getting 750 you need every section to be your strong point , I got 740 when I peaked in every section except sc in sc i am at 50 percent accuracy only .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Andrew, thank you for your advice, I will take it into account. Especially the one to focus more on easy questions and work on my fundamentals. When I practice I do not make mistakes on easier questions, but on CATs or on Exams its different.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ayushkumar22941 wrote:
Gansitomarinera wrote:
About me:
Non-native English speaker
Work in consulting, with almost 3 years of work experience

I gave my first Gmat exam august 27th and got a quite bad score and so I canceled it.

I am planning to retake it as soon as possible. By the way, I am aiming for a 750+, to increase my chances to get a scholarship in schools of my choice.
I am trying to understand how I should prepare, which materials I should use, or whether I should hire a tutor.
I think my actual level is between 680-710. (the actual exam does not represent my actual level, I am quite sure about that)
But have no idea how I should prepare to achieve my goal.

In Quant, I was thinking about Gmat club test in Verbal I have no idea how to do it.

Official GMAT Exam: 640 (Q47, V29, IR 7/8, no AWA because I canceled the score)- 27th of August 2020

Quant:
-Problem-solving q47
-Data sufficiency q49

Verbal:
-SC: 33
-RC:36
-CR:23

I started prepping seriously in March. The materials I used:

Verbal:
All the verbal MGMAT (I found it quite good for SC)
LSAT and GMAT Critical reasoning Bible - Powerscore (I found it really good)
LSAT Reading comprehension bible -Powerscore (I found it quite good)
Official questions - on Gmat club
Beta versión of TTP (One of the best things I saw so far, unfortunately, it's in beta)
I did not read the official guide (maybe this was one of my mistakes
Gmatninja videos for SC and CR

Quant:
TTP Course (Great course to boost you to Q47+, works on the basic concepts for me the best Quant course on the market)
Advanced Quant MGmat (Good resources)

CATs:
-Official Gmat prep (best way to measure your skills in my opinion, especially in the verbal part you can perceive the quality of the questions)
-Mgmat (Good for Quant, the problems are harder and involve more steps than Gmat prep exams, the verbal part is easier in my opinion especially SC)
-Veritas (Quant is okay but different in my opinion, Verbal is better and than the that of MGmat´s CATs.

Question Banks:
-Veritas (Great questions for Verbal)
-Magoosh for practice (Found it good as a question bank, but I found Magoosh math different and Verbal is okay but not really GMAT style, in my opinion, didn´t like CR either RC)
-Gmat club:(Really good for Quant)

Practice Exams:

CATs:
April 27 MGmat: 690 (Q45, V38)
May 8 Mgmat: 630 (Q45, V32)
23 May Mgmat: 660 (Q45, V35)
June 7 -Veritas 650 (Q47, V33)
June 27-Veritas 660 (Q44, V37)
July 13-Veritas 680 (Q49, V34)
August 4-Veritas 710 (Q49, V39)
August 12 Mgmat:710 (Q47, V40)
August 17 Gmat prep: 710 (Q49, V38)
I felt this exam did not go really well, however, I managed a 710, so I thought my level would be higher. And all the stories I had read were saying Gmat prep is easier than mgmat and Veritas. I felt so, but I think the official ones do not allow so many errors than Mgmat and Veritas. I also tend to make careless mistakes with easier questions and be better with harder ones.
August 20 Gmat prep: 660 (Q47, V34)
After this Exam everything went wrong. After scoring 710 my score went down to 660, this was the moment when I realized I wouldn't be able to score 750 next week.
This was when I freaked out and did 3 Cats in 2 days, I felt really tired but I continued anyway.
Veritas August 21 660 (Q47, V34)
Veritas August 21 650(Q46, V34)
Veritas August 22 650 (Q48, V31)
Gmat prep August 24 690 (Q48, V36)

PS: I took all my tests under conditions similar to the test-day.

General observations:
The thing that surprised me the most was my CR score because it has been always my strongest section - in most of my CATS, and in general when practicing-, maybe a got overconfident in that section and was not careful enough. RC has been always my worst section and I struggled a lot with SC at the begging of my Prep. I felt that my English verbal skills were not that good at the begging of my prep but I improved a lot.

On test day I went to the test Center, I was a little bit nervous but not that much. I was quite sure I would retake the GMAT anyway because I knew I wouldn't get 750.

I am a little bit disappointed about my score, however, I felt I was not really ready for the score I want to get, so I don´t feel that bad about it because I was sure I would repeat the Exam anyway.

Now I am trying to organize myself self, taking first a little break from studying, and plan how I should study to achieve my dream score of 750.
I would really appreciate some advice on how to structure my study and which material to use or whether a tutor would be a good option.

Thank you for reading.

rc and cr are the two section where you can easily improve score , concentrate on these 2 first , get around 720 in mocks then , concentrate on improving sc , for getting 750 you need every section to be your strong point , I got 740 when I peaked in every section except sc in sc i am at 50 percent accuracy only .

Hi ayushkumar22941, I am focusing a lot on RC, because I wasn´t really good at it, but I feel improving RC is a slow process. not like CR, which is much easier to improve.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Gansitomarinera wrote:
Hi ayushkumar22941, I am focusing a lot on RC, because I wasn´t really good at it, but I feel improving RC is a slow process. not like CR, which is much easier to improve.

Hello again, Gansitomarinera. When I checked back in on this thread, I could not help but feel compelled to respond to the above. In June, I wrote a detailed—nine-step—outline of how I like to approach RC passages and questions in this post. That person, too, was aiming for a 750+ and felt that RC was a deficiency. I can only imagine how difficult the task may be for a non-native English speaker. And yet RC is part of a standardized test like any other Verbal component. Refine your technique, and you can grow to be just as accurate and confident in that area of the test as in any other. I think you will find the above link useful to that end.

Happy reading. If you have further questions, you need only ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts