Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [8]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [1]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Principle: It is healthy for children to engage in an activity that pr [#permalink]
(D) in my opinion.

Application takes for granted that spending less time with people = lack of social development. What if whatsoever time she spends with the people is enough for her social development? Option D hits this flaw precisely and thus the correct choice in my opinion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: Wharton '25
WE:Information Technology (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Principle: It is healthy for children to engage in an activity that pr [#permalink]
healthy --> detracting from social development (otherwise, intellectual dev. is impacted=> not healthy)

Megan reads books --> increased intel. dev --> decreased social interaction => not healthy
This application example clearly state that the principle is flawed, as there is situation that despite decreased social interaction Megan is still unhealthy.

(A) It misinterprets the principle as a universal claim intended to hold in all cases without exception, rather than as a mere generalization.
There is no difference between universal claim and generalization (both are same). Eliminate

(B) It overlooks the possibility that the benefits of a given activity may sometimes be important enough to outweigh the adverse health effects.
Benefits vs adverse health effects are not part of the argument. Eliminate

(C) It misinterprets the principle to be, at least in part, a claim about what is unhealthy, rather than solely a claim about what is healthy.
There is nothing wrong in claiming what is unhealthy. There is no need for unhealthy vs healthy. Eliminate

(D) It takes for granted that any decrease in the amount of time a child spends interacting with others detracts from that child’s social development.
This is inline with the flaw that we analyzed earlier. Keep

(E) It takes a necessary condition for an activity’s being healthy as a sufficient condition for its being so.
It did not say if one doesn't detract from one's social development => it is a healthy intellectual activity. So this is incorrect. Eliminate

So D is the best answer choice
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts