GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Priya and her barking toy robot dog

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q39 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.15
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Health Care)
Priya and her barking toy robot dog [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 04:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:04) correct 67% (01:12) wrong based on 324 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On her way to the store, Priya decided to purchase a personal organizer, a new computer with a wireless network card, and a barking toy robot dog that would make her life easier, she decided.

A. and a barking toy robot dog that would make her life easier, she decided.

B. and a barking toy robot dog; that would make her life easier, she decided.

C. and a barking toy robot dog that would make her life easier; she decided.

D. and a barking toy robot dog making her life easier, she decided.

E. and, deciding that would make her life easier, a barking toy robot dog.
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 09:25
I chose option B because this sentence reflects (by way of correct placement of semi colon) that both computer and toy dog would make her life easy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147
Re: Priya and her barking toy robot dog [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 02:32
Hi experts,
How can we know for sure what "that" in choice B refer to?
IMHO,the construction is quite strange.The first part mention about her decision to buy two things.The second part tends to convey that what her bought would make her life easier,but which one? either a personal organizer or a robot dog.

Any way it doesn't make any sense to separate the latter information to another independent clause.

Please help clarify :-(
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 13:30
I beg to differ that in one concept of standard english we know that we can not join two independent clauses with comma. In option B two independent clauses are -

1. Priya decided to purchase a personal organizer, a new computer with a wireless network card, and a barking toy robot dog that would make her life easier

2. she decided

So IMO B is wrong. Only option C stands.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 13:46
Where does this question comes from?
Anyway can a independent clause start with ''that''?
what is that she decided refered to? If is refered to Priya that would be a repetion, I am a little bit confused
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 18:31
A. Incorrect. While grammatically correct, the placement of that suggests that the barking toy would make her life easier, when it makes more sense for it to be either the whole purchase or just the non-toy portions.

B. Correct. By putting that into a new independent clause, it can make a stronger claim to modify the preceding clause. You can still argue that that refers back to the toy, but the connection is not as strong as it is in the other sentences.

C. Incorrect. Though this one is technically grammatically correct, that modifies the toy again, and “she decided” is a very uninformative independent clause.

D. Incorrect. Placing the present participle making directly next to the toy dog suggests it is the barking toy making her life easier, which isn’t likely (has anyone’s life ever been made easier by a barking toy dog?).

E. Incorrect. The placement of and before the deciding suggests they are part of the same unit: the final item in her list of purchases. This also suggests the toy will make her life easier.

I don’t believe you’ll see a question exactly like this on the GMAT
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 06:03
lorenzo393 wrote:
Where does this question comes from?
Anyway can a independent clause start with ''that''?
what is that she decided refered to? If is refered to Priya that would be a repetion, I am a little bit confused

The usage of "that" in option C is incorrect. This, that, these and those are demonstrative adjectives and cannot stand by their own - nouns are required after them.
That was fun: wrong
That party was fun: correct

(An independent clause may start with "that" - see the second example above.)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 08:55
Sorry I am still confused I am stuying on the Manhattan SC guide and about THIS,THAT,THOSE,THESE it says te following:
-They cannot take place of a noun unless they indicate a ''new copy'' of the antecedent: ''The money spent by the parents is less that that spent by her childeren.
-they must be used as an adjective referring to nouns
In answer C it seems that ''that'' is reffering to dogs, so why it is uncorrect?
Finally, to evaluate if a sentence is independent I should eliminate everything that comes before it or not? because if I should eliminate everything before how can: ''that would make her life easier, she decided'' stand alone? please help I have a lot of confusion in my head
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 09:57
lorenzo393 wrote:
Sorry I am still confused I am stuying on the Manhattan SC guide and about THIS,THAT,THOSE,THESE it says te following:
-They cannot take place of a noun unless they indicate a ''new copy'' of the antecedent: ''The money spent by the parents is less that that spent by her childeren.
In answer C it seems that ''that'' is reffering to dogs, so why it is uncorrect?
Finally, to evaluate if a sentence is independent I should eliminate everything that comes before it or not? because if I should eliminate everything before how can: ''that would make her life easier, she decided'' stand alone? please help I have a lot of confusion in my head

Semi colon separates 2 independent ideas. In option C "she decided" is not an independent idea. Knock off C. B is the only one that uses the semicolon properly to address two independent sentences.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 01:51
lorenzo393 wrote:

Sorry about the confusion - I was mistakenly referring to option B instead of C. Nonetheless, since the topic has been raised, you may please note the four uses of "that":

1. I know that you have studied hard.... "that" introduces a clause. For understanding, consider "that" a conjunction, though technically it is not - it is the object of the verb "know".

2. I hate dogs that bark. .... "that" is used as a relative pronoun (can be singular or plural - here "that" is plural because it replaces "dogs").

3. The house beside the river is more beautiful than that on the top of the hill..... "that" creates a new copy of the noun "house" (can only be singular - for plural nouns, use "those")

4. I like that book..... "that is used as a demonstrative adjective (can only be singular - for plural nouns, use "those")

The usage in option C falls under category 2 (neither of the types mentioned in your post - your post refers to category 3 and 4 only), and the usage is absolutely alright.

Option C is wrong because the independent clause "she decided" is separated from the part describing what she decided. Hence it is not clear what she decided.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 02:31
Top Contributor
A sentence is supposed to convey a complete sense of meaning and it should be done in a grammatical way. Both these norms have been flouted in the above topic.
1. "She decided" (although is only two words strong) is an IC and that has been joined by a comma with another clause and so this is a fatal comma splice and a style error. Therefore, you can remove all the choices depicting this error. A, B and D are out.
2. Choice C: A semicolon is supposed to be followed by IC, and by a related one, but not a loosely dangling one. In C, she decided is in no way connected to the previous clause.
3. Choice E: Can you see the comma after 'and'? The structure of the clause is weird with a para-jumble of words that convey no cogent meaning.
One can't spot any correct answer
I wonder if this question is really from Kaplan.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 03:29
daagh wrote:
A sentence is supposed to convey a complete sense of meaning and it should be done in a grammatical way. Both these norms have been flouted in the above topic.
1. "She decided" (although is only two words strong) is an IC and that has been joined by a comma with another clause and so this is a fatal comma splice and a style error. Therefore, you can remove all the choices depicting this error. A, B and D are out.
2. Choice C: A semicolon is supposed to be followed by IC, and by a related one, but not a loosely dangling one. In C, she decided is in no way connected to the previous clause.
3. Choice E: Can you see the comma after 'and'? The structure of the clause is weird with a para-jumble of words that convey no cogent meaning.
One can't spot any correct answer
I wonder if this question is really from Kaplan.

http://www.kaptest.com/study/gmat/sente ... nctuation/

I got you dog
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 03:30
OE

A. Incorrect. While grammatically correct, the placement of that suggests that the barking toy would make her life easier, when it makes more sense for it to be either the whole purchase or just the non-toy portions.

B. Correct. By putting that into a new independent clause, it can make a stronger claim to modify the preceding clause. You can still argue that that refers back to the toy, but the connection is not as strong as it is in the other sentences.

C. Incorrect. Though this one is technically grammatically correct, that modifies the toy again, and “she decided” is a very uninformative independent clause.

D. Incorrect. Placing the present participle making directly next to the toy dog suggests it is the barking toy making her life easier, which isn’t likely (has anyone’s life ever been made easier by a barking toy dog?).

E. Incorrect. The placement of and before the deciding suggests they are part of the same unit: the final item in her list of purchases. This also suggests the toy will make her life easier.

I don’t believe you’ll see a question exactly like this on the GMAT; that’s not the point. The idea here is to show how the placement of punctuation can affect how you interpret certain parts of sentences.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 04:59
Hi,

What I have read is a semi color plays the role of a full stop in a sentence. So, ideally anything after the semicolon must be an IC and must make sense.

Considering this, I can say the 2nd sentence that I have is

"that would make her life easier, she decided.". Now, I don't think this sentence is making sense. Can someone please provide their inputs.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.

NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 03:52
abhimahna wrote:
Hi,

What I have read is a semi color plays the role of a full stop in a sentence. So, ideally anything after the semicolon must be an IC and must make sense.

"that would make her life easier, she decided.". Now, I don't think this sentence is making sense. Can someone please provide their inputs.

The author has used the word "that" as the subject of the second independent clause (after semicolon). However, in GMAT such usage is not acceptable - "that" in such cases is used as demonstrative adjective and should be followed by a noun.

That was great. ... wrong.
That speech was great.... correct.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 04:00
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Hi,

The author has used the word "that" as the subject of the second independent clause (after semicolon). However, in GMAT such usage is not acceptable - "that" in such cases is used as demonstrative adjective and should be followed by a noun.

That was great. ... wrong.
That speech was great.... correct.

Thanks brother. In that case, should we say this question is wrong as far as GMAT is concerned?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.

NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Re: Priya and her barking toy robot dog   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2017, 04:00

Priya and her barking toy robot dog

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap