Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Facing hard time in verbal section [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
HasnainAfxal wrote:
Yeah i got you.
Though i dont feel comfortable in writing passages summaries but i still do have problems in attempting most of the questions. I am confused how to improve in this part as my performance in RC is really bad.
You should try making notes, even if you're not comfortable with that strategy right now.

Just to clarify my earlier recommendation: I'm not saying that you should be making notes for every passage that you see on the actual exam. You can take that decision later. What I'm saying is that you could try making notes at this stage of your preparation to improve your comprehension skills.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hasnain,

In a message you wrote yesterday (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-score ... l#p2145135), you wrote about just one practice CAT results (with a V19). In this post, you mentioned a second score though (the V21). When did you receive that Score and was it from a FULL-LENGTH CAT or some other source?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
HasnainAfxal wrote:
Hello everyone!
My name is Hasnain and i am from Pakistan. I have been preparing for GMAT for last about 3months. I have improved my quant from Q42 to Q49 so far but in case of verbal i can’t see any improvement inspite of completing manhattan books for SC and RC, OG 18 and powerscore for CR. In the start of my preparation, my verbal score was V19 and after 3 months of preparation its still almost there (V21). I think one of the biggest hurdle for me in verbal is to understand and interpret the meaning of sentences in given time constraint. I lose my interest and focus in exam just becasue whenver i read a bunch of sentences together in a paragraph in SC, CR or RC, I cant keep all the points in my mind as i read through the paragragh. i dont understand sometime in hard questions the real meaning.
Any recommendations on how to tackle these issues and ace verbal more effectively to go above v35?
PS: I am planning to give GMAT in a month.
It might not be easy to move from V21 to V35 in a month's time. Do you want to consider pushing your test date back if it is very important for you to hit your score target? As for keeping track of what you're reading, maybe you could try making notes for each RC passage that you do.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hasnain,

In a message you wrote yesterday (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-score ... l#p2145135), you wrote about just one practice CAT results (with a V19). In this post, you mentioned a second score though (the V21). When did you receive that Score and was it from a FULL-LENGTH CAT or some other source?

Rich

the second score (v21) i received from Gmat Club verbal CAT yesterday.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
HasnainAfxal wrote:
Hello everyone!
My name is Hasnain and i am from Pakistan. I have been preparing for GMAT for last about 3months. I have improved my quant from Q42 to Q49 so far but in case of verbal i can’t see any improvement inspite of completing manhattan books for SC and RC, OG 18 and powerscore for CR. In the start of my preparation, my verbal score was V19 and after 3 months of preparation its still almost there (V21). I think one of the biggest hurdle for me in verbal is to understand and interpret the meaning of sentences in given time constraint. I lose my interest and focus in exam just becasue whenver i read a bunch of sentences together in a paragraph in SC, CR or RC, I cant keep all the points in my mind as i read through the paragragh. i dont understand sometime in hard questions the real meaning.
Any recommendations on how to tackle these issues and ace verbal more effectively to go above v35?
PS: I am planning to give GMAT in a month.
It might not be easy to move from V21 to V35 in a month's time. Do you want to consider pushing your test date back if it is very important for you to hit your score target? As for keeping track of what you're reading, maybe you could try making notes for each RC passage that you do.

I haven't registered for the Test and i am planning to apply is round 2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hasnain,

I wrote this in the other post thread, but it bears repeating - from the information that you've provided, it sounds as though you have taken just 1 FULL CAT. If that's the case, then we don't have much information to work with - and we need to know how you respond to the Verbal section within the context of taking the Full GMAT in one sitting. In addition, we need to know what your current Quant skills are (again, in the context of taking the Full Exam in one sitting).

As such, I highly recommend that you take a NEW FULL CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend) and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back in either thread and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hasnain,

I wrote this in the other post thread, but it bears repeating - from the information that you've provided, it sounds as though you have taken just 1 FULL CAT. If that's the case, then we don't have much information to work with - and we need to know how you respond to the Verbal section within the context of taking the Full GMAT in one sitting. In addition, we need to know what your current Quant skills are (again, in the context of taking the Full Exam in one sitting).

As such, I highly recommend that you take a NEW FULL CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend) and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back in either thread and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Hello!
Today i wrote Varitas mock test with Quant+verbal+IR and got 590 with split of Q44 and V25. I know i can boost my quant easily up to Q50 but major hurdle for me is verbal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Facing hard time in verbal section [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi HasnainAfxal,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, given that you’ve been preparing for three months and are still at a V21, you really need to look at how you’ve been preparing and make some changes, right? A few things stand out to me from what you wrote:

1) You struggle to understand the meaning of sentences when given a time constraint.

2) You “lose interest and focus” when reading multiple sentences in SC, RC, and CR.

So, let’s address point number 1. Struggling with the meaning of a lot of what you read is a sign that you are lacking some basic, fundamental skills in Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension. Your first order of business is to go back and really learn the foundations of ALL verbal topics. Once you feel that you have sufficiently learned those foundations, then move on to more advanced topics.
Point number 2 is a big one. If you find that you are losing focus when reading long paragraphs or passages, you MUST adjust your strategy for attacking such questions. For instance, instead of trying to keep track of the content of longer passages in your head, jot down general notes as you read. Doing so will keep you engaged in what you’re reading and help minimize confusion.

Overall, it is likely that you have to slow down to speed up in GMAT Verbal. You have to learn to comprehend what you read and keep it all straight, and to use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. So, at this point, your best bet is to focus getting the correct answers to questions one at a time,taking as much time as you need to see the key details and understand the logic of what you are reading.

If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read.

So, for instance, if you are working on a Critical Reasoning question, read each sentence of the passage carefully, asking yourself whether you understand what you have read so far. If the answer is "No,", then reread what you have read, one word at a time until you get it. Then identify the conclusion of the argument, if there is one, and figure out how any conclusion is supported.

Reading Comprehension passages can be handled similarly, You have to just take your time and learn to understand exactly what is being said, reading one sentence at a time or ever one word at a time if necessary. There is no way around this work. You have to learn to comprehend what you are reading.

In each case, your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. You can be sure, that, if you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task. The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

To get better at seeing what is going on in Sentence Correction questions, take your time with every choice for now, noticing the key differences between choices and how effective each choice is. and why one choice is better than the others. You could even review Sentence Correction questions that you have already answered, as the is plenty in each question for you to learn to see.

The point here is for you to work differently from how you have been, seeking to completely understand what is going on and to arrive at correct answers consistently without worrying about time constraints at all. Only once you consistently arrive at correct answers should you seek to speed up.

By doing this type of work, you can improve your reading and analytical skills, and eventually, those skills will be so good that, even when you are faced with time constraints, you will comprehend what you are reading and correctly answer verbal questions.

Thats such a great piece of advice. I really appreciate :)
In RC whenever i try to notedown sumry of passage i lose my focus and can’t correlate preceeding information. So is it fine if i do not right down anything in RC?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hasnain,

I posted the following message in the other thread that you started. It would make sense to focus the discussion in one place though - so you would likely find it more efficient to choose one of the two threads and keep posting in just that one thread:

This 2nd CAT result implies that the work that you've been doing in the Verbal section has helped you to improve. That having been said, raising a 590 to a 730+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. You've now scored Q44 on both of your CATs, so you will still have to put some specific work into Quant studies. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You will probably need more time than you have allotted though, so you might need to push back your planned November Test Date.

Now that you have this recent CAT result, some analysis is in order. Right now, you should NOT be working on "hard" questions - you're losing points in too many other areas. "Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hasnain,

I posted the following message in the other thread that you started. It would make sense to focus the discussion in one place though - so you would likely find it more efficient to choose one of the two threads and keep posting in just that one thread:

This 2nd CAT result implies that the work that you've been doing in the Verbal section has helped you to improve. That having been said, raising a 590 to a 730+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. You've now scored Q44 on both of your CATs, so you will still have to put some specific work into Quant studies. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You will probably need more time than you have allotted though, so you might need to push back your planned November Test Date.

Now that you have this recent CAT result, some analysis is in order. Right now, you should NOT be working on "hard" questions - you're losing points in too many other areas. "Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

In verbal i got 22 correct and 14 incorrect with 61% accuracy rate. Now here are answers to all the above mentioned questions after reviewing my CAT.
1) most questions were wrong because of not reading careful and rushing on most of the questions.
2) a very few questions of this kind
3) In Quant mostly questions were of 700+ level but in verbal difficulty level on average was 600-650
4) This thing happened at the end of each section (V and Q). in verbal i had to guess all the questions of last RC and few questions of CR and SC as well.
5) Most of the questions i got wrong because of this reason as i couldn't figure out which option is correct and had to guess out of two and move on.

When i reviewed my verbal section, i got most of the questions correct which i marked incorrect during mock, by attempting them in the review. I can't extend my planned exam date as i have to apply in R2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hasnain,

Based on everything that you have described, it sounds like you're trying to do a lot of work "in your head" - when you don't have to. The silliest mistakes that you will ever make on this Exam will occur because you did not take the proper notes, so you really must train to take notes on EVERY question that you face in BOTH the Quant and Verbal section. Beyond helping you to avoid those little mistakes, you will also likely become more efficient - and faster - over time (since you won't have to reread the prompt over-and-over and in most cases you will know what the correct answer is before you go to the 5 choices. That type of training takes time though - and if you have developed any 'bad habits' during your prior studies, then that training might take longer (since we'll have to fix those bad habits and replace them with new 'good habits').

1) You stated in another post that your Goal Score was 730+. What is the lowest Score that you would apply to Business School with?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hasnain,

Based on everything that you have described, it sounds like you're trying to do a lot of work "in your head" - when you don't have to. The silliest mistakes that you will ever make on this Exam will occur because you did not take the proper notes, so you really must train to take notes on EVERY question that you face in BOTH the Quant and Verbal section. Beyond helping you to avoid those little mistakes, you will also likely become more efficient - and faster - over time (since you won't have to reread the prompt over-and-over and in most cases you will know what the correct answer is before you go to the 5 choices. That type of training takes time though - and if you have developed any 'bad habits' during your prior studies, then that training might take longer (since we'll have to fix those bad habits and replace them with new 'good habits').

1) You stated in another post that your Goal Score was 730+. What is the lowest Score that you would apply to Business School with?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

1) 720 is the minimum
2) i can study as more as 50 hours per week.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hasnain,

If your immediate priority is to score 720+ on the GMAT - and you won't apply without that type of Score - then the application deadlines don't matter. Statistically-speaking, that is a score that over 90% of Test Takers never achieve either because they CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to earn that Score. Unfortunately, studying 50 hours a week is NOT a good idea - and might do more harm than good (since you would greatly increase your chances of 'burning out' before Test Day - and that is something that we want to avoid).

You have not listed any explicit deadlines, but the end of November is only about 7 weeks away - and you will likely need closer to 3 months (or more) of consistent, guided study before you will be able to consistently score in the 700s. If you could commit to that longer timeframe, then I can recommend a Study Plan that I think would help you a great deal. With just 1 to 1.5 months of potential study time, there will likely be a limit to how much you could improve.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hasnain,

If your immediate priority is to score 720+ on the GMAT - and you won't apply without that type of Score - then the application deadlines don't matter. Statistically-speaking, that is a score that over 90% of Test Takers never achieve either because they CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to earn that Score. Unfortunately, studying 50 hours a week is NOT a good idea - and might do more harm than good (since you would greatly increase your chances of 'burning out' before Test Day - and that is something that we want to avoid).

You have not listed any explicit deadlines, but the end of November is only about 7 weeks away - and you will likely need closer to 3 months (or more) of consistent, guided study before you will be able to consistently score in the 700s. If you could commit to that longer timeframe, then I can recommend a Study Plan that I think would help you a great deal. With just 1 to 1.5 months of potential study time, there will likely be a limit to how much you could improve.

Rich

If i give my self 3 more months to prepare then i would have to wait for another year to apply as mostly R2 deadlines end in Jan. so i have to get ready my application before R2 deadlines that are mostly in Jan.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
My pleasure!

So, regarding your Reading Comprehension strategy, I think you need tinker with your strategy. Remember, the most important thing is that you are an engaged and active reader, right? If you adjust your process such that you’re not taking notes on the passage, do you find that you’re more successful when answering Reading Comprehension questions? If you are, then yes, continue solving those questions without taking notes. However, if you find that you’re still having issues, then perhaps take notes, but of less detail. You know what I mean?

Yeah i got you.
Though i dont feel comfortable in writing passages summaries but i still do have problems in attempting most of the questions. I am confused how to improve in this part as my performance in RC is really bad.

GMAT Club Bot