Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval - Career Change [#permalink]
precisionessay wrote:
hamm0 wrote:
Hello, I have a long post.
Do you think switching to design (lateral in terms of rank, but a drop off on the number of people i manage) would hurt my resume? Why or why not?

I assume I'll be able to get rec's from my current manager, as he knows my ultimate plan to go get MBA, but I can't assume I'll make as good contacts in my next job in time for apps. Who else can i use for recs?

I know if I switch this would be a good use of the extra essay section, but I was already planning on using that for a different weak part of my resume; I slacked off a lot in college :oops: Do you think the combo of a low GPA + a job switch after 1.5 years will be too much to overcome?

Moving on, my dream school is Wharton, but i also am interested in (in order) Fuqua, Stern, Tepper, Columbia, Mendoza.

Are there any others i should look at?

Would a 700 put me in range of these?

Thank you in advance for taking time out of your day to answer :-D

Wow!!! that's a lot of questions! I'll do my best:

Do you think switching to design (lateral in terms of rank, but a drop off on the number of people i manage) would hurt my resume? Why or why not?

If it's a better job with more opportunities, no. Keep in mind that whatever you do we can make it into a good story.

I assume I'll be able to get rec's from my current manager, as he knows my ultimate plan to go get MBA, but I can't assume I'll make as good contacts in my next job in time for apps. Who else can i use for recs?
Anybody who a) Has managed/supervised you directly or indirectly b) and who is excited. This can be from workplaces but also non work places such as Habitat

I know if I switch this would be a good use of the extra essay section, but I was already planning on using that for a different weak part of my resume; I slacked off a lot in college :oops: Do you think the combo of a low GPA + a job switch after 1.5 years will be too much to overcome?
No. You need a)To have a good story b) To kick the **** out of the GMAT c) to explain why you did so poorly in an essay.

Moving on, my dream school is Wharton, but i also am interested in (in order) Fuqua, Stern, Tepper, Columbia, Mendoza.
Are there any others i should look at?

Johnson. Anderson for starters. Maybe some others.

Would a 700 put me in range of these?

Yep. But you just go ahead and do as good as you can. If you can beat a 720 that would be mega-awesome.

Thank you for the prompt response. If it is ok with you, I'd like to follow up on a few things, namely the job switching bit.

Anderson is out, i'd like to stay on the Right Coast if possible.

Also, 720 is right where i'm hoping to land..lots of work to do. Do you think Wharton is out due to the low GPA, even if I manage a 720+? They seem to have one of the higher average GPA's.

As far as job switching, moving from a job where I have management responsibilities and deal daily with financial issues to a job where my prime responsibility is design work and no financial or management responsibilities - I know you said its all about the story we can tell, but c'mon, this one can't be viewed as a positive, can it? The only reason i would want to switch is better quality of life/give engineering 1 more shot before re-branding myself though b-school.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts