Please find my profile as follows:
1) Indian male, 25 yrs old
2) GMAT status : Planning to take by March/April 2012. For the sake of this evaluation you can take the score as 730 (Q49, V38). Intend to apply in 2013
3) WE: 1.5 yrs in a top indian construction company. Would have completed 3 yrs at the time of matriculation
1) M.tech - Construction Management at IIT Madras - GPA : 3.46
2) B. tech - Civil Engineering - Top State university - GPA: 2.92
1) Enagaged and initiated several CSR activities in my company at corporate as well as project level
2) Placement Co-ordinator for my UG batch. Helped over a 100 batchmates of mine to secure placements. (Something i am proud of for three reasons. a) It is the first time that over 100 students got placed from a batch in my department. b) Many of them are not really employable to be perfectly honest. Used every trick in the book to get them through. c) On set of the recession and recruitments in general were pretty ordinary)
3) I write poetry and hope to get something published in the next few years
4) Awarded the best quizzer in my School
Although i have worked for just over a year now, i have been given a variety of responsibilities:
1) Project controls and co-ordination with two metro projects which total upto $100 Million in value. This involves resource augmentation, negotiating with contractors and suppliers for high value items, cost control , progress monitoring and preparing progress reports for the top management to guage how the projects are doing.
2) Tendering for National highway projects. Was given the responsibility of quoting and winning a 200+ Km national highway project, which we ended up winning. This gave the company business worth $400 Million. (A professional high for me so far)
3) Contract Administration and dispute resolution: Identifying red flags in the client instructions and pursuing claims formulation for an amicable resolution of various conflicts. Even assisted my superior in his thesis on dispute resolution for his E-MBA degree.
Other than the usual suspects (HBS, Stan, Wharton etc), I am also looking into Darden and Michigan as their pedagogy of case study method is something i really want. I had to study some HBS cases for my M.tech and found it to be the best way to learn. I am open to other colleges which have the same/similar method
Post- MBA Goals
I am keen on finance. While tendering for the national highway project i found myself doing hours of anaylsis to quantify the cost of each activity involved in the construction of the road. My knees go week while doing analysis and I absolutely love it. I find that I-Banking is qualitatively not very different from tendering( Business valuation being the corner stone for both). I wont lie about the fact that the money is also a huge motivator. If asked why switch career paths i would say that the policy paralysis of the government with regards to infrastructure and excessive corruption that exists in the construction industry is something that has sapped my interest assiduously and I want to move out before it gets to me.
A long term goal would be to move in Private Equity (or real estate private equity). As for location. I would like to work in the US for a few years and then move back to India.
I hope this is all the information you need. Do let me know if there are any gaps to fill.