It will be great if someone can evaluate my profile!
Following is my info:
US Citizen, Indian descent, 29 yr's
GMAT: 700 (Q:49, V:36)
Bachelors - B.E. in Electronics/Electrical Engineering from one of top 10 schools in India
GPA - 8.3/10
Masters - MS in Electrical Engineering (University of Southern California)
GPA - 3.7/4
Experience1 - 4 yrs in US in semiconductor company.
- Role was software development but require customer interaction on day to day basis.
- Have represented/led my team(6 people) among a group of larger audience for various projects multiple times.
- I represented my team in a project where our team effort saved almost 3 months of time to market for our product saving around $200 million considering the product was estimated to make $1 billion within 1st year. I was awarded "Employee of the Quarter award for my efforts"
- Others project includes developing strategies and implementing software which reduced customer complaints by around 60%.
- Was member of the team to be awarded "Attateam - kind of like best team of quarter" award twice.
- Got 2 promotions in last 4 years.
Experience 2 - Current
Around 8 months so far, I left the software development job and joined another EDA company as a Senior Applications Consultant.
The role involves :
1. Providing customers support for software licenses they purchase from our company.
2. Pre-Sales - Helping sales guys sell the software to new customers or renew the contracts with existing clients(Providing presentations/trainings at customer sites). Also, helping marketing guys get endorsement of our products from the customers.
3. Developing strategies to displace the competitors from existing clients or potential clients.
1. Manager/player from last 4 years of a cricket team (around 20 members). We participate in a year-round tournament where around 70 teams participate.
- Responsible for funds collection, organizing team practice sessions etc
2. Certified wind surfer. Trained and motivated colleagues for windsurfing. Organized various field events at work.
3. One of the key members of "Non profit" initiative to help bright students from poor background to go to the college in India.
I want to go for management consulting post MBA.
Schools I'm targeting: Insead, LBS, Chicago Booth, UCLA, Yale, Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Cornell
Please let me know if you think I've a chance at above schools or they all seems like a stretch.
Your current work sounds like it is taking on a more strategic focus, so you're moving in a good direction. Whether these programs are a stretch will depend on how much of an impact you've been able to make on the marketing and strategic competitive advantage fronts. If the impact is not incredibly powerful yet, then you can wait for a year to apply to INSEAD and LBS with a stronger profile (perhaps by making a complete move into marketing or having much more collaboration with marketing in your role), but the US programs are going to be less interested in you once you're 30 (it's not impossible to be admitted at that age and above, but odds of acceptance do decrease with age
). Programs like Vanderbilt, Maryland, and Georgia Tech have strong consulting recruiting and might be a better fit this year.
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog