Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant94 wrote:
Hello Jon,

Yo..! Thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm aiming for ISB's YLP. It's meant for under graduates who are in their pre final year. It guarantees a seat for the candidate after two years of work experience. It's similar to HBS 2+2 program and Yale silver scholars program. I'll be applying for that by this March, 2014. If I get selected now, my future is made..! I'm primarily applying only to ISB. They are targeting students who are highly determined.

They want people with specific goals. When the interview panel asks me why MBA. How do I tell them that I have always been inspired by women leaders. In the nation where most of the leaders and decision makers are men, seeing a women amongst them have always made my day. I see myself as a leader managing a group of people or one taking important and bold decisions in a company. Only a management degree can help me to convert my dreams into reality.

This reason might look very silly for them. I just wanted to know how effectively do I get this across to the panel who have interviewed people with specific goals. How do I give them a solid reply out of this.

Might look funny, but I have been thinking a lot over this and would love to know your review Jon. :)

Regards,
Mbaaspirant 94

Hey there,
Somehow I missed that line in your note about YLP. (it was such a small line). Oops.

So let me hit reboot, and REALLY answer your question this time. :)

1. It's still pretty hard to evaluate you without a GMAT. Esp. since all applicants have very little experience. But let's say that with a 710+ it becomes possible.
2. Your goals are not yet specific enough. I would suggest selecting a) a specific industry and b) even a specific post. So, an MNC... but what? luxury retail? Hardware? Chemicals? energy? etc. etc. And what kind of post do you want? It should fit both your skills and dreams.
3. People who I have seen be successful at YLP and similar program have a) good strong internships b) lots of very strong extra curriculars. I haven't seen either in your profile. Do you have anything else that is missing here?

Voila! much better, methinks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

The reply was very helpful. I'll think over it and find out what interests me.

I have been eagerly waiting to hear from you. Ya I have not posted my extra curriculars: For now this is all what I have..... :cry:

Selected as student chairman for eee dept 2014
Organiser in national level conference conducted by eee dept
Crafted 2 rounds for technical symposium
Led a 75 member team to Anna university symposium where we won the best college award
Led a 5member team to Salem steel plant regarding the mini project work
Was elected as student committee member by the dept for two consecutive year
Student ambassador for college symposiums
School pupil leader in higher secondary
Initiated to form a group in college which helps students from medium other than English. :|

These extra curriculars would help?! :?: :?:

Have a Great day..!
Mbaaspirant27.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant94 wrote:
Hi Jon,

The reply was very helpful. I'll think over it and find out what interests me.

I have been eagerly waiting to hear from you. Ya I have not posted my extra curriculars: For now this is all what I have..... :cry:

Selected as student chairman for eee dept 2014
Organiser in national level conference conducted by eee dept
Crafted 2 rounds for technical symposium
Led a 75 member team to Anna university symposium where we won the best college award
Led a 5member team to Salem steel plant regarding the mini project work
Was elected as student committee member by the dept for two consecutive year
Student ambassador for college symposiums
School pupil leader in higher secondary
Initiated to form a group in college which helps students from medium other than English. :|

These extra curriculars would help?! :?: :?:

Have a Great day..!
Mbaaspirant27.

Of course it helps!!! Highlight the ones in which you have the most leadership, as they would probably be the most effective in boosting your profile. And think about those goals.

Good luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ya sure Jon, the thought process is on :-D . Once I get clarity, I'll communicate it to you.
And not to forget, thanks a ton Jon :!: :!: you really had been very patient in helping me out.

Warm regards,
Mbaaspirant27.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant94 wrote:
Ya sure Jon, the thought process is on :-D . Once I get clarity, I'll communicate it to you.
And not to forget, thanks a ton Jon :!: :!: you really had been very patient in helping me out.

Warm regards,
Mbaaspirant27.

You got it dude!
Keep on aspiring... :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

After all thinking, I have decided 2 domains which I feel Like is best suited for me.

One is healthcare. Primarily I wanted to do medicine-Mbbs somehow I missed it narrowly by 4marks. Due to personal reasons I couldn't spend another year to give it a shot again. But till date there is that void in my life. My love for health-science has never dropped. Now with my B.E degree I don't think a career in healthcare sector is possible. But a postgraduate program in healthcare management will at least give me a chance to get in touch with management of healthcare sector. That is one field where I will be able to work with full contentment contributing to both personal and professional growth.

For now I feel the domain is set but the roles I would like to take up, I'm not pretty sure. Should I also be prepared with a specific role. But the nature of the job can be like framing policies for better services to be patients, or the technology for improvising diagnosis, financial side of health sector. Jobs of this kind. I don't know what specific names are given to such roles. I'm not sure what healthcare management is going to offer me in terms of course work. Depending on that I think I can decide the roles that would be perfect for me.
Is the explanation still very vague. Is it not very convincing. I'm trying to bring it out in a better possible way. :)
Will the adcom buy this as a strong reason for why mba. :?:

I would be grateful if you can throw show light on healthcare management program and post mba job offers on that.

Best,
Mbaaspirant94
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant94 wrote:
Hi Jon,

After all thinking, I have decided 2 domains which I feel Like is best suited for me.

One is healthcare. Primarily I wanted to do medicine-Mbbs somehow I missed it narrowly by 4marks. Due to personal reasons I couldn't spend another year to give it a shot again. But till date there is that void in my life. My love for health-science has never dropped. Now with my B.E degree I don't think a career in healthcare sector is possible. But a postgraduate program in healthcare management will at least give me a chance to get in touch with management of healthcare sector. That is one field where I will be able to work with full contentment contributing to both personal and professional growth.

For now I feel the domain is set but the roles I would like to take up, I'm not pretty sure. Should I also be prepared with a specific role. But the nature of the job can be like framing policies for better services to be patients, or the technology for improvising diagnosis, financial side of health sector. Jobs of this kind. I don't know what specific names are given to such roles. I'm not sure what healthcare management is going to offer me in terms of course work. Depending on that I think I can decide the roles that would be perfect for me.
Is the explanation still very vague. Is it not very convincing. I'm trying to bring it out in a better possible way. :)
Will the adcom buy this as a strong reason for why mba. :?:

I would be grateful if you can throw show light on healthcare management program and post mba job offers on that.

Best,
Mbaaspirant94

Healthcare can be a great domain even without prior healthcare experience (although it always helps if you have some). Now about the role itself and what job etc... that's EXACTLY what you need to find out! Meaning if you REALLY want to get into the industry, it would be a wise idea to research what companies there are, how they are structured, in what sort of roles you might fit, what roles you might enjoy most... You can find LOTS of info on the Internet (company website, management resumes and linkedIn are your best friends) and basically the more knowledgable you are about a specific industry going in, the more convincing your story will be.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

This has been in my mind for quite some time. I'm very reluctant to discuss this with many as I presume it's bit over ambitious.

I would like to end up as an entrepreneur as in my life. If not immediately after PGP after some work experience in the domain. My area of interest is electronic goods. As an electrical engineer I feel that almost all the electronic goods are imported or the main parts are bought from countries like china and very little work is happening within my nation(India). I want to work towards developing a brand that will produce small daily used electronic goods. There are not many notable indigenous brands which produce daily used electronic products. I look forward to ISB to help me expand my horizons and provide deep insight on entrepreneurship.

When I start my venture my under graduation knowledge in the electrical domain coupled with my management skills would help me move forward with lot of confidence.

This was there in the back of my head but I think this the right time to discuss if it will help me to get into ISB.

I am open to both entrepreneurship and healthcare management. I will keep both the doors open. As I'm young I don't want to narrow down my opportunity to just one field.

Is my entrepreneurship goal over ambitious. Which do I project as my goal. I equally love both my plans.

Best,
Mbaaspirant94.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant94 wrote:
Hi Jon,

This has been in my mind for quite some time. I'm very reluctant to discuss this with many as I presume it's bit over ambitious.

I would like to end up as an entrepreneur as in my life. If not immediately after PGP after some work experience in the domain. My area of interest is electronic goods. As an electrical engineer I feel that almost all the electronic goods are imported or the main parts are bought from countries like china and very little work is happening within my nation(India). I want to work towards developing a brand that will produce small daily used electronic goods. There are not many notable indigenous brands which produce daily used electronic products. I look forward to ISB to help me expand my horizons and provide deep insight on entrepreneurship.

When I start my venture my under graduation knowledge in the electrical domain coupled with my management skills would help me move forward with lot of confidence.

This was there in the back of my head but I think this the right time to discuss if it will help me to get into ISB.

I am open to both entrepreneurship and healthcare management. I will keep both the doors open. As I'm young I don't want to narrow down my opportunity to just one field.

Is my entrepreneurship goal over ambitious. Which do I project as my goal. I equally love both my plans.

Best,
Mbaaspirant94.

Hey there,
it's not overambitious. And if this is what you want to do, fantastic!

At the same time, this doesn't necessarily mean that you should write this goal to the Adcom, which is another issue altogether. Also, if you really want to do this, you need to do more than "want entrepreneurship" but figure out how you can help it out (ultimately luck will help too :) ). Meaning a lot of the guys who start social apps will want to go work for facebook or instagram or twitter or whatever for a year or three and THEN move to entrepreneurship... to get contacts, ideas, experience.... so maybe think about Electronics Manufacture as a goal - work for Sony or Siemens or whoever.

Whatever the case, for your APPLICATION you will need to choose ONE goal and ONE GOAL ONLY! And it should be specific, reasonable and connected to your current knowledge/experience where possible.

Hope this helps!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the immediate reply.

Ya after graduation I want to work In the production side. I would like to take technical roles. As you said the company will be Siemens, Bosch or preferably Philips as they produce goods which I'm interested in. After PGP Will work for the same companies but in the management side. So that I would have a balance of both technical and management roles which will provide a better understanding of the company.

I guess I'm getting clarity now. :!:
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant94 wrote:
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the immediate reply.

Ya after graduation I want to work In the production side. I would like to take technical roles. As you said the company will be Siemens, Bosch or preferably Philips as they produce goods which I'm interested in. After PGP Will work for the same companies but in the management side. So that I would have a balance of both technical and management roles which will provide a better understanding of the company.

I guess I'm getting clarity now. :!:

:)

you see.... so it IS worth it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Wish you a very happy new year.
Thanks for all the support you have extended.
Also wishes to the whole Admission Ado team. :)
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mbaaspirant94 wrote:
Hi Jon,

Wish you a very happy new year.
Thanks for all the support you have extended.
Also wishes to the whole Admission Ado team. :)

Thanks dude!

Happy New Years to you as well!
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts